Speculation: NSH interested in Marner

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Wow sure would love one of those regular 30 goal scorers that "can't shoot" on my team. Bonus that he's also one of the very best playmakers in the game and Selke level defense

Classic cap dump!
Now do his playoff stats

Do you consider your input valid? I don’t think anyone else here does, but you do you boo-boo.

Keep upping that post count lol.
Do you consider this reply useful? No one else here does. Why are you here again? Im discussing hockey.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
What makes sense for the Leafs is dumping the $11M salary and freeing up cap space to get 3-4 more good players. I think a 1st, a 2nd and Lankinen is a fair value for Marner. There a barely any teams can fit his salary that he would also accept a trade to. The market will be very limited.
Fr
Now do his playoff stats

Do you consider this reply useful? No one else here does. Why are you here again? Im discussing hockey.
You have a strange way of discussing hockey calling one of the top players an “empty calories” (what the hell does this even mean lol) player.

If he went to Nashville, he’d be their top producer any day.

I usually respond to trolls which is why I’m here :).

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Fr

You have a strange way of discussing hockey calling one of the top players an “empty calories” (what the hell does this even mean lol) player.

You having your feelings hurt doesnt make me a troll. Sorry. If he is such a great player, why does he disappear in the playoffs and why are Leafs looking to move him? He is overpaid and overrated. His history of disappearing in playoff hockey is lengthy. He would put up regular season points in Nashville and be useless in the playoffs just like he is now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You having your feelings hurt doesnt make me a troll. Sorry. If he is such a great player, why does he disappear in the playoffs and why are Leafs looking to move him? He is overpaid and overrated. His history of disappearing in playoff hockey is lengthy. He would put up regular season points in Nashville and be useless in the playoffs just like he is now.

Marner is a great top 6 asset like Gaudreau. Problem is he needs the pieces around him to do what he does and get the right value on the ice. At the very least, he needs a legit top line center.

If Marner waives his NMC, he's waiving it for a team who actually has centers for him to work with. Doubt he likes the idea of going to island by himself like Gaudreau did.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It's The 4th Period ... even if you believe Pagnotta has sources.. it's their job to create rumors.

Nashville has not shown interest in Marner... Teams and GM's just bounced from playoffs are still in the evaluating phase.

There is a reason you don't hear real insiders coming out with these type of rumors at this time of year because these discussions are not taking place yet.

The 4th Period has to have rumors going at all times in order to make money.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think Toronto wants an unproven kid for their win now window. It would have to be Saros, but that defeats the purpose for Nashville, so I don't see this happening.

This is a very strange remark considering the slew of mediocre goaltenders they've already acquired in their "Win Now Window."

This team has pulled the trigger on acquiring Jake Campbell, Petr Mrazek, Matt Murray, Ilya Samsonov and Martin Jones in recent years during their "Win Now Window."

All of those guys are "unproven" and you could certainly make the case that they were proven ... to be not very good.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Marner holds all the cards with him NMC. Tell him that and he will tell you he isn’t accepting any trade

Have him waive first based on where he’s willing to go. And then find a deal.

He’s not entitled to the details of the trade. That said, he’s probably telling us no regardless.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It's The 4th Period ... even if you believe Pagnotta has sources.. it's their job to create rumors.

Nashville has not shown interest in Marner... Teams and GM's just bounced from playoffs are still in the evaluating phase.

There is a reason you don't hear real insiders coming out with these type of rumors at this time of year because these discussions are not taking place yet.

The 4th Period has to have rumors going at all times in order to make money.

Teams don't need to evaluate Marner, they already know what he is.

Evaluating their own players has nothing to do with Marner. This trade will happen in the next two months (likely draft or after his bonuses are paid July 1) if it happens at all. They aren't going to sit around not doing due diligence then rush a decision at the draft.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Fr

i think forsberg is better than Marner. Not a knock on marners talent but Marner has always had an elite center while forsberg has had granlund, Johansen and recently orielly. Forsberg creates most of his goals. I would love to see Marner play besides forsberg though so he doesn’t have to do it all

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I wouldn’t really call 50 points in 57 games disappearing. If that’s the case Matthew’s 48 points in 55 games and nylanders 43 in 54 games is just as bad. Marner has just became Torontos whipping boy and if I was him I would want to get out of Toronto

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
This is a very strange remark considering the slew of mediocre goaltenders they've already acquired in their "Win Now Window."

This team has pulled the trigger on acquiring Jake Campbell, Petr Mrazek, Matt Murray, Ilya Samsonov and Martin Jones in recent years during their "Win Now Window."

All of those guys are "unproven" and you could certainly make the case that they were proven ... to be not very good.

All of them were under a different GM too.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Nashville has plenty of pieces to make a an interesting package offer, even if a hypothetical trade waited until July 1st to look after his bonus and buy some cheap retention from a 3rd team.

Conditional 2025 1st
Tomasino
Evangelista
Wood
Kemell
L'Heureux
Parssinen
Fabbro
Lauzon
Molendyk

Definitely on the 3 quarters and a dime for a dollar end of things, but there's an interesting combination of upside and Oct 2024 ready cheap talent to be picked from that pool

Last edited:
Reactions: Dion TheFluff

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Nashville has plenty of pieces to make a an interesting package offer, even if a hypothetical trade waited until July 1st to look after his bonus and buy some cheap retention from a 3rd team.

Conditional 2025 1st
Tomasino
Evangelista
Wood
Kemell
L'Heureux
Parssinen
Fabbro
Lauzon
Molendyk

Definitely on the 3 quarters and a dime for a nickel end of things, but there's an interesting combination of upside and Oct 2024 ready cheap talent to be picked from that pool
I get where you’re going, but I would definitely take three quarters and a dime for a nickel every day

• Haha
Reactions: 4thline

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Have him waive first based on where he’s willing to go. And then find a deal.

He’s not entitled to the details of the trade. That said, he’s probably telling us no regardless.
The Leafs have no leverage with Marner. None.
He may be willing to go through the process in the way you have described but he also may not. In the end it completely up to him. And in the end if he decides that he does want to know what is being given up for him because of the scenario originally described or just because of his ego he can and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
His NMC and the term on his contract give him the ability to set whatever parameters he wants for the process or if he will even allow himself to be traded at all. Like it or not him NMC entities him to exactly that.

Reactions: Fatass

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He may be willing to go through the process in the way you have described but he also may not. In the end it completely up to him. And in the end if he decides that he does want to know what is being given up for him because of the scenario originally described or just because of his ego he can and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
His NMC and the term on his contract give him the ability to set whatever parameters he wants for the process or if he will even allow himself to be traded at all. Like it or not him NMC entities him to exactly that.

I'm well aware the Leafs have no leverage with Marner.
But no, his NMC clause doesn't entitle him to the trade details.
We ask him if he's willing to accept a trade or not. If he is, he can provide us a list of acceptable destinations. After that, it's none of his business.
If he says no outright to providing a list, which I think is probable, then he's gonna be back next year and we move on from the idea.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yup. Marner totally controls what happens with his career. The Leafschave zero control of this situation.

Reactions: cyris

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Trading Marner for a goalie would be so stupid.

This years runaway Vezina winner (Hellebuyck) couldn't stop a beach ball in the playoffs. Last years Vezina winner isn't even the starter on his team anymore. Vasilevskiy was complete ass. Meanwhile, the cup winners last year were led by a random 3rd stringer and we have Silovs vs Pickard (who?) battling it out in the 2nd round. Sorokin looked like a world beater now he sucks.

Goaltending position is a total crap shoot these days. Gone are the days of stable, rock solid #1's like Brodeur, Roy, Belfour, Hasek, Joseph, etc.

We risk losing a 100 point winger who is good defensively just to potentially end up with yet another keeper with a .901 sv% and 3.08 gaa.

Anderson looked good for Toronto, then trash, now good again for Carolina. I have no faith in this position to be giving up a premium asset for it.

I'd have no more faith in Askarov or Sarros than I do in Woll next year.

I do agree with this largely. I think people are just sick of talking about our revolving door of mediocre, mentally fragile and often injured goaltenders while aspiring to be a contender.

My overwhelming preference is to move Marner for defense if he's leaving.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
We ask him if he's willing to accept a trade or not. If he is, he can provide us a list of acceptable destinations. After that, it's none of his business.
If he says no outright to providing a list, which I think is probable, then he's gonna be back next year and we move on from
If he says no outright to providing a list, which I think is probable, then he's gonna be back next year and we move on from the idea.
Not how it works though. Often clubs will get a call, like the op rumour, and then the club talks to the player whether he would waive. Marner is not going to supply a list. The Leafs are totally at the mercy of Marner. He’s a great player do teams will want him and they will call. But it’s up to Marner if he wants to go to one of those clubs.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Not how it works though. You green the club will

Not how it works though. Often clubs will get a call, like the op rumour, and then the club talks to the player whether he would waive. Marner is not going to supply a list. The Leafs are totally at the mercy of Marner. He’s a great player do teams will want him and they will call. But it’s up to Marner if he wants to go to one of those clubs.

Disagree. We've sent plenty of instances where a player has been approached for trade or asked for trade themselves and it's been reported they provided a list of acceptable destinations to the team to find a deal. It really is a case by case and I think it boils mostly down to if Marner still wants to be here or not.

Again, I don't think Marner is likely going to waive so a lot of this is moot in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad