Speculation: NSH interested in Marner

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Even with an extension I don't believe that gives you all that much of an increase in value. Its basically just negotiating rights. You still only have to beat the offer of the other teams. Toronto shouldn't care who or where Marner is signing with, so they just want the best return. Teams have been far more cavalier with trading for guys banking on the idea that they can get the extension in place later if they want to.

I think if Marner is moved, he's being moved not because someone wowed Toronto with an offer and just blew them away so much they had to take it. If Marner is moved I believe it's because Toronto wanted to restructure the roster, maybe free up money or re-allocate the assets, etc etc. In that situation, I think that they are already aware that they are not getting full dollar for dollar on Marner.

I do

Tkachuk had a year remaining, it came with an extension which got Calgary the value that it did.

People have 20/20 hindsight all of a sudden but Tkachul returned a 115 pt winger and a top pair RD

I expect Marner will do better than most would think

Before anyone brings up Tkachuk/Marner playoffs...Marner's PT/game in the playoffs is better than Tkachuk's was in Calgary.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Marner is not a Barry Trotz type of player.
This a million times, or should I say 11 Million. Trotz lives and breathes strong two way play with a physical edge, two things that Marner sucks at.

I could see Marner waiving to go to NSH .... players tend to love it there, it's usually a competitive, well run, team. I just don't see Marner being a fit for a Trotz team, and I don't think many GM's will want to re-up Mitchy at 11M+ long term, which is what he will probably demand.

For the Leafs, it's addition by subtraction. that cap space will allow you to get a good (not great) top 4 Dman, and a good, not great, middle six forward. The return depends so much on how much cap is going the other way back to Toronto, and the quality of player it is attached to.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I do

Tkachuk had a year remaining, it came with an extension which got Calgary the value that it did.

People have 20/20 hindsight all of a sudden but Tkachul returned a 115 pt winger and a top pair RD

Before anyone brings up Tkachuk/Marner playoffs...Marner's PT/game in the playoffs is better than Tkachuk's was in Calgary.
Or put another way, they traded two rentals for a franchise player they were signing for 8 years.
Extremely unique trade.

Definitely seemed like they had no intention of signing huberdeau. It was a great return for Calgary, but if Florida has no long term interest in either (not sure about weegar, but they never got anywhere besides informal talks with no offer on huberdeau) then they weren't losing much.

Extremely unique trade. How often do you see a hockey trade like that? If your goal is hockey trade, I think he could get a good return. But Saros is certainly a good enough piece to get there trade off the ground if Toronto is interested in the goalie, so I still don't buy that Nashville wouldn't have the pieces from a value perspective

Most trades just aren't that caliber of hockey trade

**edit**

Just wanted to clarify the comments on "good return". That was probably ill stated. I think he'll get a good return regardless. I don't think he'll get a return commensurate with his level of talent and the caliber of player he is. And I certainly don't think he'll get a return at a level which a team with their standard assets (IE, their current first round pick) couldn't obtain him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
They may not have time to be damn sure that Askarov is the answer. Nashville has a big decision to make this offseason, as I don't think they can go into the season without Saros extended or traded.

For as good as Saros has been, Nashville has never won a playoff round with him as their starter. He's also going to eat up a significant amount of cap space after next season. For a team that's long been starved for offensive talent, if they can get Marner back in a deal for Saros that might not be a bad risk to take - especially when you're betting on a 22-year old former 11th overall pick that's played well since being drafted. Pair him with a veteran goalie in a split situation and hope he's ready to take the reigns by next April.
I guess you don't draft a guy that high and not expect him to be the answer. I just don't know where Nashville stands currently in terms of their future.Should they be thinking about rebuilding? Retooling? Going for it? Their best players are either well in their thirties or turning 30 this season.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
True but I've seen years of Marner's soulless empty calorie play to think that he would not fit in.

Also ROR left the Leafs to get away from their loser core, this dude gonna be running for the hills lmao
I keep reading your replies, thinking they can't get much more stupid. But they do. Ridiculous takes. And FYI, O'Reilly wanted to resign with toronto... They just couldn't offer him the term and money he got with nashville.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
If i was Marner i would go, not many nicer places than Nashville to play. Well i've only been to 5 cities where there is a NHL team, but Nashville would be my #1 easily.

Edit: it's not the "what is hockey" town it used to be, and the climate, restaurants and nightlife is great.

Ledge And Dairy

I do

No Tkachuk was already an RFA, his contract had already expired. He came pre-signed because the new CBA rules prevented everyone except for Calgary to sign him to an 8 year deal. If Tkachuk did not come with an extension he would have asked for a higher AAV, which Florida could not afford. So they paid premium to have him pre-signed at a lower AAV.

Nothing in the CBA is preventing Marner from signing an extension of 8 years after a trade so he is viewed entirely as a full season rental in terms of trade value. The 2 most recent examples of star players traded in the summer before the final year of their contracts are Seth Jones and Erik Karlsson (to San Jose). Karlsson was traded while re-sign conditional picks were still legal and Jones was traded in that one season where the draft took place after the final year of his contract started

Reactions: Guttersniped

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Molendyk, Ufko, Wood, Svechkov, Parssinen. Plus 3 1sts in the next two drafts and 4 2nds.
if I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing that Moldendyk was held in pretty high regard by the Leafs brass at the draft so a deal with him involved could potentially work.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Marner feels like a Nashville add. A guy who isn’t a true differece maker who they sign to a massive contract and then later need to buy him out or trade him at 50% when he doesn’t pan out ala Duchene, Johansen, Turris.

Reactions: Byrddog

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Then keep him.
It was an effort to counter this forum’s tendency to think high cap hit + NMC = no value. I was simply stating that, while those things are true, it’s still possible that a player has value given those constraints. In Marner’s case, he has put up elite numbers for a winger and has been nominated for a Selke.

If we can’t find a trade that helps our team, we will keep him.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
It was an effort to counter this forum’s tendency to think high cap hit + NMC = no value. I was simply stating that, while those things are true, it’s still possible that a player has value given those constraints. In Marner’s case, he has put up elite numbers for a winger and has been nominated for a Selke.

If we can’t find a trade that helps our team, we will keep him.
Good luck with that. Worked well so far

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Listened to Pagnotta on a podcast today and he said Nashville would definitely have interest in Marner and according to him have let Toronto know if he were to become available to give them a call. Sounds like Saros would definitely be a part of this if it were to happen.

We will see cause who knows if Marner would want to play in Nashville or if he even ends up waiving at all...

Last edited:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I guess you don't draft a guy that high and not expect him to be the answer. I just don't know where Nashville stands currently in terms of their future.Should they be thinking about rebuilding? Retooling? Going for it? Their best players are either well in their thirties or turning 30 this season.

We're already rebuilding, but with what Trotz has alluded to he's willing to move our draft and prospect capital into surer things.
if I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing that Moldendyk was held in pretty high regard by the Leafs brass at the draft so a deal with him involved could potentially work.
I'd hate to part with him due to our poor defense prospect pool, but I wouldn't be completely opposed.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I do

Yeah as an edmonton fan idk why the east just doesn't bully him so he plays bad .

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
At this point, his 11M cap hit is more valuable to me than he is. In the games that matter here, he is invisible and a liability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad