GDT: NSH@ FLA Feb 4th V1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Also I don't think people paid enough attention to this, Hepo half-assing the pressure lead to a non-contentested one timer, which ended up going in. Why was he out there when you know the opponent is going to pull the goalie early?
In retrospect it was questionable to not shorten the bench at that time. Q took some fliers earlier in the season with good results, but this sequence was unfortunate.

It's also unfortunate that Weegar couldn't get a clean finish on the 3-on-1 feed from Wennberg. Both of them could have used that. Weegar didn't have a great game, while Wennberg had the best 5v5 numbers on the team centering the dominant second line. But the only thing we will remember is that he coughed up the puck on the GWG, even if we also think that Ekblad made a bad read and the refs should have called a penalty for too many men.

The most frustrating thing about a loss is the feeling that you want another chance to do better, and usually you can't. With this constant back-to-back format at least we do get that chance, so that's a silver lining.

JEFFREY87

Oct 9, 2020
Watched the game...good back and forth. Panthers obviously IMO dominated the game even with bad defense and horrible goaltending as usually from Bob. What the heck was weegar doing on the game tying goal? Stick check? Get the man out of the top of the paint... push him out. We still have way too many soft defensemen

JEFFREY87

Oct 9, 2020
Also... time to bench Hempo... idk if he gets 5 mins a game I could have made a pass or shoot on the 3 on 1 early in the game

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Little late. Yes, five-goal Bob at it again. Yes, the defensive play overall was very sloppy and lackluster. But, the decision to challenge was one of the worst coaching calls I've ever seen in all of sports. Easily top-50 in professional sports history. There was no logical reason to challenge being ahead by a goal. Literally none. Especially with the division being the way it is, who you're playing, the point system, etc. Also, Coach Quenneville saying it was "Low risk" afterwards shows a major competency issue. How could he think it was low risk? Lmao. Did he not know the consequence if he lost the challenge? Who knows. All I know is I'd expect nothing short of him standing up and apologizing to the team in locker room after the game. I mean, yes, only one game, but as the season progresses that type of game could be a momentum killing loss. If I'm a player, why am I going to give the extra effort for this guy tonight? Q better have addressed it.

Last edited:

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Little late. Yes, five-goal Bob at it again. Yes, the defensive play overall was very sloppy and lackluster. But, the decision to challenge was one of the worst coaching calls I've ever seen in all of sports. Easily top-50 in professional sports history. There was no logical reason to challenge being ahead by a goal. Literally none. Especially with the division being the way it is, who you're playing, the point system, etc. Also, Coach Quenneville saying it was "Low risk" afterwards shows a major competency issue. How could he think it was low risk? Lmao. Did he not know the consequence if he lost the challenge? Who knows. All I know is I'd expect nothing short of him standing up and apologizing to the team in locker room after the game. I mean, yes, only one game, but as the season progresses that type of game could be a momentum killing loss. If I'm a player, why am I going to give the extra effort for this guy tonight? Q better have addressed it.
I guess he trusted the 4v6 PK almost as much as the 5v6. It's not exactly inconceivable that Nashville would have scored anyway.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I guess he trusted the 4v6 PK almost as much as the 5v6. It's not exactly inconceivable that Nashville would have scored anyway.

Even tho the ratio of own players vs. opponents favors the 5vs3 instead of 6vs4, 6vs4 usually creates so much havoc and pinball-action in front that it's virtually impossible to make any saves.

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
100% agree...

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
« We’ll move forward and learn from it as well. »

Really ? That’s all the f*** you got to say about that f***ing challenge ?

f***in loser !
agree it was a poor move, too much to risk going 4v6 risk to protect the insurance goal. we have a hard enough time protecting on 5v6. i personally think Mackenzie was whispering in Q's ear to challenge and Q trusted him perhaps too much.

indirectly he is acknowledging mistakes were made. no reason to beat the dead horse, just learn and move on. the important thing is whether he mans up to the locker room and tells them it was his mistake. he don't need to tell us s***.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
The good:
- Hats off to Huby. If this becomes the norm every season for a slow start, I'll gladly take it. Great execution along with Barky
- Bob was solid, I don't get why people complain (yadayada, makes 10 million..., so has to stop everything -> 5 goals happen when you give up odd-man rush after odd-man rush, commit stupid penalty after stupid penalty and make horrible coaching decisions)

The bad:
- we got destroyed in the FO circle, even Barky was bad, only Luosto doing a decent job. This is becoming a pattern.
- Refs: they disrupted the play a lot by calling every little single stick infraction. Don't appreciate this pedantic rule interpretation. plus can please somebody explain why the hell the play in OT did not warrant a Too-many-men-penalty? Players have to know better though
- Team defense: NSH played a lot better than their record indicates. But the team was colapsing too much in the D zone. Worst thing though: we never trailed in this game, yet NSH tied it twice on odd-man rushes. Not acceptable to not adapt the game plan at some point to play more responsably on the D side

The ugly:
Q, WTF? (or rather say "What the fuQ?") I agree with Android 16 that it was one of the worst calls I have ever seen.
Though does he really look at the video himself? In this situation with this score, with the risk of taking a penalty, he or his assistant coach have to be 100% sure that it is the right call. No time to take a risk there, he will have to take the responsibility for that.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
If this is going to be yet another year where the offense has to bail out the D and G every game it’s going to be another playoff miss. It’s like Groundhog Day with this group.

Reactions: RogerRoger

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Didn't we get the goalie to help cover up the defensive breakdowns? The entire reason Bob is here is because they figured he could make up for some defensive deficiencies. I don't mean that he should be expected to make saves on one-timers, but that shot in OT? A goalie of his caliber has to make that save.

You don't pay a goalie 10 million dollars to be average. At that price point you run out of excuses really quickly, and Bob has reached that point.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Where Sherlock ?
Wicked shot, defensive breakdowns, screen shot, Weegar should have pushed Duchene+Q, Wennberg brain farting
Those are all excuses, I don't disagree with all of them, but those are all excuses you made for an extremely highly paid person, something you said we shouldn't do.

Didn't we get the goalie to help cover up the defensive breakdowns? The entire reason Bob is here is because they figured he could make up for some defensive deficiencies. I don't mean that he should be expected to make saves on one-timers, but that shot in OT? A goalie of his caliber has to make that save.
You don't pay a goalie 10 million dollars to be average. At that price point you run out of excuses really quickly, and Bob has reached that point.
It would be a glorious improvement if he raised up to the level of being an average goalie.

Reactions: I am not exposed

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
4 for Bob, 1 for Weegar being soft in his own paint, 1 for the zebras and Ekblad together

Normally I wouldn’t allow for the refs to be blamed given how horrendously stupid Ekblad’s decision was to go skates-blazing through the neutral ice past two predators, but given that those two predators couldn’t have possibly been legally on the ice at the same time together and the puck actually hit one of them during said too-many-men state... gotta have some sympathy.

Moved this post/convo back over here so it doesn't spread into new GDT.

4 for Bob?
Which ones exactly?

I say goal 1 and 6 are Bob's but 2,3,4 and 5 are just bad defense.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I don’t know if it’s that shot in OT specifically but I agree with the sentiment. He gets left out to dry sometimes and never wows us with some showcasing of hockey heroism or talent. He is severely lacking in primetime saves, and basic-blunder goals along the way give him nothing to fall back on in terms of excuses.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

If bon plays average that would be a massive step up. When u let in 4 goals no matter how difficult u can’t let in a questionable 5th and then to add a uestiinabke 6th and make no saves at all all game is completely unacceptable. He wasn’t under a heavy barrage of shots and pressure. He literally let in every single scoring chance and then 2 additional goals on top. This game is 100 percent on him.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Moved this post/convo back over here so it doesn't spread into new GDT.

4 for Bob?
Which ones exactly?

I say goal 1 and 6 are Bob's but 2,3,4 and 5 are just bad defense.
Neither 5 nor 6 are on Bob. Weegar needs to step into his man, not use a toothpick to fight back on that 6-on-4. Doesn’t matter if it’s 6-on-4, the one place a defender should have no shame in being is in his own paint in that circumstance.

OT goal doesn't fall on Bob. Rest of it is arbitrarily “I am tired of Bob not making saves on good and bad plays alike.”

Reactions: austropanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If bon plays average that would be a massive step up. When u let in 4 goals no matter how difficult u can’t let in a questionable 5th and then to add a uestiinabke 6th and make no saves at all all game is completely unacceptable. He wasn’t under a heavy barrage of shots and pressure. He literally let in every single scoring chance and then 2 additional goals on top. This game is 100 percent on him.

He didn't let in 4 goals though.
2 are his no doubt but where do you see 4 are his?
He made 3 saves on the 5th goal alone

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Neither 5 nor 6 are on Bob. Weegar needs to step into his man, not use a toothpick to fight back on that 6-on-4. Doesn’t matter if it’s 6-on-4, the one place a defender should have no shame in being is in his own paint in that circumstance.

OT goal doesn't fall on Bob. Rest of it is arbitrarily “I am tired of Bob not making saves on good and bad plays alike.”

I agree with goal 5 but disagree with goal 6, its a breakaway but he didn't play it well.
2 are his, you can argue goal 5 that he didn't cover the puck but he was in the splits and already made 3 saves on the play and as you said, Weegar let his man score on the 4th shot attempt.

So again, 2 are his, maybe 2.5 but definitely 3 are on defense, if it closer to 4 of the 6.

Reactions: Dr Beinfest

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I find it incredible that people say that we have to play Bob. It's cheaper to buy him out and pay the new goalies a combined 4-5M. It's cheaper in terms of cap hit and real dollar. The only area where it is more expensive is ego and pride. Let's see what management is made of.

Break down the numbers then.
You're telling me Viola is gonna okay buying out and paying just under $40mil?
And then turn around and give out more money?

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Last night was a complete collapse by the entire roster. The only person who can stand up and say they did their job last night was Huby. Everyone else failed miserably. Way too many odd man rushes against. a Shit tier PK, Bob didn't give up any softies for once, but he didn't make any of the saves a 10 million dollar goalie gets paid to make. Q with an absolutely terrible challenge with 2 minutes left in the game. Everyone needs to eat that blown game. They threw away 3 points last night.

Reactions: austropanther

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Break down the numbers then.
You're telling me Viola is gonna okay buying out and paying just under $40mil?
And then turn around and give out more money?
How many millions does it cost to miss out on the playoffs? Buying him out this Summer saves 9M total.
With that, let's say you sign Driedger 3x3 (just random number), that's all of Bob's saving right there.
You would still need a backup even if you have Bob, so just sign a cheap one for 1 year. Then you bring on Knight with 2 years left on Driedger's deal (hypothetically).

Here you go, the money is even and the level of play you got from it is (most likely) improved and more importantly, you don't have this weight on your mind. You can actually look at your players in the eyes and say that you are doing all you can to win.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
How many millions does it cost to miss out on the playoffs? Buying him out this Summer saves 9M total.
With that, let's say you sign Driedger 3x3 (just random number), that's all of Bob's saving right there.
You would still need a backup even if you have Bob, so just sign a cheap one for 1 year. Then you bring on Knight with 2 years left on Driedger's deal (hypothetically).

Here you go, the money is even and the level of play you got from it is (most likely) improved and more importantly, you don't have this weight on your mind. You can actually look at your players in the eyes and say that you are doing all you can to win.
this is horrible cap management because now you have 41 million dollars of DEAD cap space through the year 2031. Thats 10 years of dead money on the cap that you cant do ANYTHING to get rid of. All you've done is tie an anchor to the franchise that it has no hope to recover from in the slight hope you get better goaltending.

It sucks, but the ONLY play at this point is to hope Bob figures it out and gives you better goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad