Proposal: Nichushkin...if contract termination isn't an option

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It always amazes me to watch people on an internet forum speculating about things and not taking 2 seconds to look it up.

View attachment 872325

You do realize this isn't official right? The league source could easily be wrong, not have all information on what's transpired, etc.

Friedman also said on his podcast that termination may be a possibility.

There's also the very real possibility that Nichushkin violates the conditions of his situation even further over the next few months. He is an addiction after all.

I'd put money on the Avs and Nichushkin having parted ways by the time August rolls around.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
You do realize this isn't official right? The league source could easily be wrong, not have all information on what's transpired, etc.

There's also the very real possibility that Nichushkin violates the conditions of his situation even further over the next few months. He is an addiction after all.

I'd put money on the Avs and Nichushkin having parted ways by the time August rolls around.
The league official is more likely to be correct than a bunch of people arguing on an internet forum with zero references to back up their opinions.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022

we know Lebrun has a in with the Avs, and we can usually trust what he says.

Question so which stage is Girard in the program?

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Or he just comes back and continues his career. Not like he’s not a great player.

I'm sure Mack, Mikko, Makar and the group would love to have him back.... he just ruined 2 years of this core's prime years with his drugs in the playoffs. If I'm in that locker room, I want no part of him. If or when he comes back, bag skate him, bench him, give him the cold shoulder, etc. until he mutually agrees to terminate his contract.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
I'm sure Mack, Mikko, Makar and the group would love to have him back.... he just ruined 2 years of this core's prime years with his drugs in the playoffs. If I'm in that locker room, I want no part of him. If or when he comes back, bag skate him, bench him, give him the cold shoulder, etc. until he mutually agrees to terminate his contract.
It doesn't work like that. They still view him as a person first.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It doesn't work like that. They still view him as a person first.
And a massive f***up 2nd who cost them a shot at a cup run 2 x years in a row.

It appears that since he is in the DOPS program, he cannot be terminated. Avs will have to either reserve his caphit and play him or pay to dump him, because no one is taking it for free.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It’s perfectly possible to be extremely disappointed and letdown by a friend and also have compassion for them.

There’s no quick fix for Val or for the club at this time. While a parting of ways may be the best recourse, I’m not sure a “trade his cap the day the summer market opens!” type of mentality is the correct one here.

This is a hard situation that is going to linger because there are no easy answers. Not for the club and certainly not for Val.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It’s perfectly possible to be extremely disappointed and letdown by a friend and also have compassion for them.

There’s no quick fix for Val or for the club at this time. While a parting of ways may be the best recourse, I’m not sure a “trade his cap the day the summer market opens!” type of mentality is the correct one here.

This is a hard situation that is going to linger because there are no easy answers. Not for the club and certainly not for Val.
Any chance the Avs just buy him out?

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Colorado can’t unilaterally terminate, but the 2 parties, Colorado and Nichushkin, could agree to end the contract and part ways with a percentage of the contract payed out upon termination…but nothing happens without Nichushkins approval and involvement

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I feel like there is a higher chance of a contract termination than a trade if he remains suspended. Guy needs to get sober before anything else happens.
There is no termination while in 6 month program.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad