Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
A mutual buyout is not prohibited.
Yes, and they usually occur when the player is tired of playing in the minors and wants to go back to Europe. And the NHL team doesn't pay the player a damn thing for this transaction. That's the point. Obviously Avs and Nuke could mutually terminate the deal, if Nuke would be just fine losing the rest of his contract. I somehow have a feeling he's not going to do that.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, and they usually occur when the player is tired of playing in the minors and wants to go back to Europe. And the NHL team doesn't pay the player a damn thing for this transaction. That's the point. Obviously Avs and Nuke could mutually terminate the deal, if Nuke would be just fine losing the rest of his contract. I somehow have a feeling he's not going to do that.
That’s definitely not always true. Mitch Miller got paid for his termination and to f*** off.

Then Nuke will have to take the risk of a termination upon reinstatement with the starting at zero. Where it will go to mediation most likely. This is the whole risk tolerance part. All parties can come together and solve this prior to a shitshow with risk all over the place… and it is all parties’ benefit to do so.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That’s definitely not always true. Mitch Miller got paid for his termination and to f*** off.
Sure. An ELC with no cap implications anyway. Not really relevant to the point I'm making here.
Then Nuke will have to take the risk of a termination upon reinstatement with the starting at zero. Where it will go to mediation most likely. This is the whole risk tolerance part. All parties can come together and solve this prior to a shitshow with risk all over the place… and it is all parties’ benefit to do so.
I agree. And then the NHL would step in and say "you can't do that, you are clearly circumventing the cap system by essentially buying out a player without any cap implications".

The NHL has in multiple instances sent messages across the league when there is funny business going on regarding the salary cap, and they have said that even if something isn't technically against the CBA, they can and probably will punish for clear salary cap circumvention. Remember when we traded for Letang and Grubauer, bought out Letang and he then re-signed with Washington? The league sent a memo after that "this will slide this time because it was a one year deal, but if this BS is being pulled again we are going to hammer both teams".

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Sure. An ELC with no cap implications anyway. Not really relevant to the point I'm making here.

I agree. And then the NHL would step in and say "you can't do that, you are clearly circumventing the cap system by essentially buying out a player without any cap implications".
It is the same thing… a mutual termination and agreement to settle an amount.

I’ve said multiple times there would be a cap hit in the settlement. All parties would be in this including the NHL.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I’ve said multiple times there would be a cap hit in the settlement. All parties would be in this including the NHL.
Well we have been talking about two completely different scenarios. Nice to know that after like 20 messages.

The whole f***ing point of this contract termination discussion was to get out of Nuke's cap hit entirely. At least that's where I chimed in. If the termination ends up with the Avs having a cap penalty of 4mil for the next 5 years, it's still a f***ing disaster and the Avs would be wiser to explore the trade option first before any type of termination proceedings. Getting rid of the cap hit in its entirety should be priority #1.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Well we have been talking about two completely different scenarios. Nice to know that after like 20 messages.

The whole f***ing point of this contract termination discussion was to get out of Nuke's cap hit entirely. At least that's where I chimed in. If the termination ends up with the Avs having a cap penalty of 4mil for the next 5 years, it's still a f***ing disaster and the Avs would be wiser to explore the trade option first before any type of termination proceedings. Getting rid of the cap hit in its entirety should be priority #1.
I mentioned it in a post on the last page that you quoted! ;)

The odds of getting out for nothing are almost non existent. The contract is too long and carries too much risk with the cap hit to trade (plus’s nuke has a NMC). The buyout pretty much gets out of the cap hit for 2 years, but has stiff punishment for 4 years then falls to manageable. I really think this ends with a termination/buyout with a ~2m penalty give or take some… and nuke gets low 8 figures.

Reactions: LOFIN

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I mentioned it in a post on the last page that you quoted! ;)

The odds of getting out for nothing are almost non existent. The contract is too long and carries too much risk with the cap hit to trade (plus’s nuke has a NMC). The buyout pretty much gets out of the cap hit for 2 years, but has stiff punishment for 4 years then falls to manageable. I really think this ends with a termination/buyout with a ~2m penalty give or take some… and nuke gets low 8 figures.
I personally think that there are going to be teams interested in Nuke, even with that cap hit because the next strike means he’s gone for good. And Nuke would obviously waive because he would want to continue playing.

If it ever gets that far. Don’t you think that if he fails this program the Avs would not be able to terminate? If he just quits the rehab and goes to Russia, surely that’s grounds for termination. No different than failing to report to the AHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I personally think that there are going to be teams interested in Nuke, even with that cap hit because the next strike means he’s gone for good. And Nuke would obviously waive because he would want to continue playing.

If it ever gets that far. Don’t you think that if he fails this program the Avs would not be able to terminate? If he just quits the rehab and goes to Russia, surely that’s grounds for termination. No different than failing to report to the AHL.
I can’t see it with the term left. If there was a year or two, sure. But 6… that’s an eternity. He could turn it around for 2 and start screwing up again and the whole process has to start over. Thats not even an unlikely outcome. Now if he’s a UFA where he gets on a prove it deal… teams will fall all over themselves for a chance.

Yeah if he refuses treatment at this point it can be voided. He’s got 30m reasons to not do that. Even if he can only make it through next regular season he’s got ~7m coming his way.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
A mutual buyout is not prohibited.

That’s not how it works. Settlements are to eliminate the risk of losing outright.

Mutual "buyouts" are prohibited by the CBA. The only way a termination settlement can be done is if the NHL and NHLPA agree to do so as a CBA exception. Teams and Players cannot agree to a mutual "buyout" or termination without the approval of both the NHL and NHLPA.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Ya know, there is another option. And that option is . . . wait for it . . . .

The program works. Nuke disappears for 6 + months, does a complete Robert Downey Jr.-style clean out, comes back REALLY clean, and REALLY sober (and this time he means it) and plays great for the Avs.

Yes, I'm sure Avs management/the fans/the players are sick of the drama and turmoil and would just assume move on, but . . . the Avs may not have much of a choice depending on how hardball Nuke's lawyers and the NHLPA want to play. And what the cap hit would be for not playing him.

It's a little (OK, not much) like Russell Wilson and the Broncos - I was always of the opinion that as long as you are paying the guy and taking the cap hit . . . you might as well play him.

Just a (very unpopular) thought. I shall now run for cover.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Mutual "buyouts" are prohibited by the CBA. The only way a termination settlement can be done is if the NHL and NHLPA agree to do so as a CBA exception. Teams and Players cannot agree to a mutual "buyout" or termination without the approval of both the NHL and NHLPA.
And Mitchell Miller happened just last season. The whole discussion around here has been around all the parties involved.

Additionally, Elliotte Friedman mentioned it as an option out of the contract on his podcast.

Last edited:

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I understand there's a ton of money left on his contract but he's already been paid $12.250M off his current $49 contract so there is $36.75M left on it.
Contract is front loaded, so Nuke has already been paid $13.5M minus any amount lost from Phase 2 treatment (I forget if salary is withheld).

And actually the single largest year in terms of pay is next season at $8M (all salary, no signing bonus) and then scales down to $4.8M over the next few seasons.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Ya know, there is another option. And that option is . . . wait for it . . . .

The program works. Nuke disappears for 6 + months, does a complete Robert Downey Jr.-style clean out, comes back REALLY clean, and REALLY sober (and this time he means it) and plays great for the Avs.

Yes, I'm sure Avs management/the fans/the players are sick of the drama and turmoil and would just assume move on, but . . . the Avs may not have much of a choice depending on how hardball Nuke's lawyers and the NHLPA want to play. And what the cap hit would be for not playing him.

It's a little (OK, not much) like Russell Wilson and the Broncos - I was always of the opinion that as long as you are paying the guy and taking the cap hit . . . you might as well play him.

Just a (very unpopular) thought. I shall now run for cover.
Hopefully Nuke will come back stronger then ever before to prove us that we were wrong about trying to ditch him somewhere. I will forgive Nuke if he comes back next season and re-ups his game and scores even more points in the season and more goals in the playoffs.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I still think the Avs should get through this series and go win the Cup, then petition Nuke's name off of it. Maybe that will be a wake up call for him finally to get his shit together.

I don't want to lose him on this team but if he can't get it together then so be it.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
If you can’t get his cap hit to zero I say roll the dice on him coming back or f***ing up again

Last edited:
Reactions: Alienblood

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I don’t want to see him wearing an Avs’ jersey again. I hope he gets the help he needs and he lives a great life. Time for the Avs to move on from him.

Reactions: AvalancheSpeedsters

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Did he say any of his speculative stuff about which direction the Avs are going to go?

I know this is going to be controversial, but I still would prefer the Avs to keep him, especially if Landeskog retires to LTIR.
I'd like to keep him too

Reactions: S E P H

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
If you can’t get his cap hit to zero I say roll the dice on him coming back or f***ing up again
We will have to take Nuke back if he promises Avs that he will score twice as much points during the next season and twice as much goals during the next playoffs. Nuke is Avs property and he is currently under active contract. We can't just get rid of him. Just like that. He is a superstar.

In the worst case scenario, Sakic needs to trade him (CMACK does not have the balls to do this) to a team for at least couple of 1st round picks just to compensate Avs for the loss of a star player.

Reactions: Alienblood

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We will have to take Nuke back if he promises Avs that he will score twice as much points during the next season and twice as much goals during the next playoffs. Nuke is Avs property and he is currently under active contract. We can't just get rid of him. Just like that. He is a superstar.

In the worst case scenario, Sakic needs to trade him (CMACK does not have the balls to do this) to a team for at least couple of 1st round picks just to compensate Avs for the loss of a star player.
F*** Val Nichushkin. I would trade him for a bag of basmati rice today.

• Haha
Reactions: mack74

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Some of you sound like victims of an abusive relationship

"He's only like that when he's drunk"

• Haha
Reactions: Bender

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Sometimes I wonder if you have even the slightest clue what you're posting :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad