Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
If being in the player assistance program brings more testing and scrutiny then players understandably will avoid it. The incentive structure just doesn’t favor a player entering it unless they are forced. Add in that a player will have their privacy violated by the program being very public and reaching out for help is made even more difficult. The solution is simple an increase in testing for all players and no additional penalties if you are in the player assistance program and get caught. It is completely the fault of Val but he isn’t the only player doing what he did in all likelihood.
Do you think Girard's privacy was violated by being in the program any more than if he was granted a personal leave of absence to take care of personal business? The program didn't out anything about what he was suffering, he did that on his own. He was very open and honest about what was going on and what his goals were and I attribute that honesty and openness to his commitment to getting better.

Nuke on the other hand basically denied anything at all happened in the summer of '23. The team and the league never commented on drugs but we can assume that Nuke was whisked away to Stage 1. Then earlier this season he was ordered into Stage 2 and released a statement that it was to help with sleep deprivation due to his circadian rhythm being off...again with no mentions of drugs. Then he fails a drug test, goes into Stage 3 and hasn't made a peep.

I honestly believe the players here carry completely different labels if you want to call it that. One guy is obviously a recovering addict/abuser of alcohol and the other won't admit he has a drug problem although he's been confronted by it on several occasions. Without knowing the specifics, I can say that every treatment plan I've heard of is tailored to the individual. I wouldn't imagine that the frequency of random testing goes up after a player has entered any stage of the program, but I also would assume that it goes back down after a certain amount of time with no positive tests occurring. This is a trust but verify thing where the trust can actually be restored over time to the point where the verification is no longer needed. No matter what, I can't see Nuke's career lasting long enough. And while Girard might still be getting tested more frequently as his episode with this season, I think GMs are apt to trust him due to his openness and honesty.

My hope is that G's experience will help at least one person in the league who is suffering to get help. Even if it's a private program during the summer. But G is showing you can continue with your career. I know he gets a lot of grief on this board, but this was a bounce back season IMO.

I think you're right that players who don't really want help would rather go to a private program of their choosing so they can get an "easy" one as there are plenty that pamper their clients with luxury accommodations and activities while being less intrusive with their follow-on care. You basically graduate after the in-patient treatment and are done with the program.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Do you think Girard's privacy was violated by being in the program any more than if he was granted a personal leave of absence to take care of personal business? The program didn't out anything about what he was suffering, he did that on his own. He was very open and honest about what was going on and what his goals were and I attribute that honesty and openness to his commitment to getting better.

Nuke on the other hand basically denied anything at all happened in the summer of '23. The team and the league never commented on drugs but we can assume that Nuke was whisked away to Stage 1. Then earlier this season he was ordered into Stage 2 and released a statement that it was to help with sleep deprivation due to his circadian rhythm being off...again with no mentions of drugs. Then he fails a drug test, goes into Stage 3 and hasn't made a peep.

I honestly believe the players here carry completely different labels if you want to call it that. One guy is obviously a recovering addict/abuser of alcohol and the other won't admit he has a drug problem although he's been confronted by it on several occasions. Without knowing the specifics, I can say that every treatment plan I've heard of is tailored to the individual. I wouldn't imagine that the frequency of random testing goes up after a player has entered any stage of the program, but I also would assume that it goes back down after a certain amount of time with no positive tests occurring. This is a trust but verify thing where the trust can actually be restored over time to the point where the verification is no longer needed. No matter what, I can't see Nuke's career lasting long enough. And while Girard might still be getting tested more frequently as his episode with this season, I think GMs are apt to trust him due to his openness and honesty.

My hope is that G's experience will help at least one person in the league who is suffering to get help. Even if it's a private program during the summer. But G is showing you can continue with your career. I know he gets a lot of grief on this board, but this was a bounce back season IMO.

I think you're right that players who don't really want help would rather go to a private program of their choosing so they can get an "easy" one as there are plenty that pamper their clients with luxury accommodations and activities while being less intrusive with their follow-on care. You basically graduate after the in-patient treatment and are done with the program.
If the player wants to be open line Girard great but reducing barriers is a worthwhile goal for the player assistance program. Something like an assurance of privacy or no increased testing by the league itself are steps that can reduce the stigma and lead to more players entering it voluntarily. I want as many players as possible who need it to enter the player assistance program and not rely on outside non effective options that pamper them. What exists now in my opinion is a program that does work for players but carries immense risk since you are opening yourself up to further scrutiny. In those scenarios sweeping it under the rug like the Avalanche did or refusing to go in until the one is forced are the best moves from a payout prospective in terms of hockey.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If you guys know anything about hard drugs it's that they aren't something you do now and again or just occasionally. You do or you don't. He's likely been off the wagon for a while or never really clean other than his two prior strikes if he's been doing it in the playoffs. As stated, to test positive means he did it likely in the last 48 hours. Means he's been doing it non stop imo. Crazy given how well he was playing.
I wouldn't agree with that. Some people can do it then not do it again for months or years. Obviously not the case with Nichushkin though.

Reactions: missionAvs

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
If you guys know anything about hard drugs it's that they aren't something you do now and again or just occasionally.

Coke is definitely something a lot of people can do occasionally. Not everyone is the same. Some people can control their eating habits better than others as well, or shopping impulses, et cetera.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
As of my understanding, and please feel free to correct me if i am dead wrong on this, this programm was more on behalf, or wish, of the NHLPA if i remember correctly, giving the players not only help, but more to secure their contracts and money.

I dont know, but maybe this could be a topic in the next CBA. As it stands now, one player can f*** up a whole franchise on his own.

I mean, we are in for 6.2 mill in "dead cap" until november if we cant get this contract of the books or terminated. Thats insane. This player probably f***s up our off season too. And even if we can trade away his contract, we will lose assets and getting fleeced in that process.

If being in the player assistance program brings more testing and scrutiny then players understandably will avoid it.

If they are nonetheless getting caught by their team, then its fair that the team has every right to terminate the contract on the spot too? So the player also accepts the consequences?

Or can any player do what they want and the moment they f*** up they just hide behind the NHLPA and enter the programm, only to save the money, not to get sober or seek help? Not every player is like Sam Girard! I mean, we have the opposite on full show right now.

This is a double-edged sword....

The assistance program is not the problem. Without that, you would see a bunch of contract terminations every season, trust me. The testing, that comes with it isnt the problem either.

Its simple: Don´t do it. And if you have to, or want to, dont be that dumb and get caught. Too me, i would not take this risk. Especially not with unannounced tests that can happen any time. From my team, or the league.

This assitance programm was installed to help players and give them security that teams just cant terminate contracts at their will. And every team out there would use every loophole to get out of unwanted or overpayed contract at any costs. So no, the teams are no saints either.

So far so good and i am all for it, And it works for those who seek help and are open to it (like Girard).

But imho this should not lead to this bullshit we are dealing right now. I would say Stage 3 should be contract termination. Sorry guy, you had 2 strikes there wont be a strike 3. In chase of our player i highly doubt he was ever sober or stopped his behaviour, to be honest.

And there were probably more incidents covered up by the AVS beside that Seattle-fiasco.

Look, there are 2 sides of the coin:

One is the person and human being Valerie NIchushkin. Whatever demons he has i really hope he can overcome them. Not only for his own sake, but more so for his family and child.

The other side is the player. And i dont want this player to ever play another game for this team again, let alone enter any locker in the future. This has to been one of the biggest f***-ups i have ever seen. Twice in a row, during a crucial time in the playoffs...... Insane.. and sad because he was a damn good player, especially in the playoffs.....

Coke is definitely something a lot of people can do occasionally. Not everyone is the same. Some people can control their eating habits better than others as well, or shopping impulses, et cetera.
In chase of Nickushkin i highly doubt it was only "coke".....

Last edited:

NMAvsman

Jan 28, 2007
Still guessing he got hooked on painkillers after playing with the bad foot and other injuries during the cup run. Who knows if the organization fells partially responsible for getting him hooked if that is the case. JUST A GUESS though. Either way I hope he can confront his demons and come out the other side.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Avs should have never swept that Seattle incident under the rug. Handled it so poorly and truly enabled this behavior imo. This could majorly bite them in the ass as well depending on if they have a cap penalty going forward. Should have been treated as an offender not a victim.

Reactions: henchman21

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
Avs should have never swept that Seattle incident under the rug. Handled it so poorly and truly enabled this behavior imo. This could majorly bite them in the ass as well depending on if they have a cap penalty going forward. Should have been treated as an offender not a victim.
Isn't there a privacy thing here, though? They can't speak about the program unless the player allows it, right? Or is it just the reason the player is in the program.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
They get tested once during training camp, and once during the regular season. They can be "randomly" selected during the playoffs, but I've got a bridge to sell anyone who believes he was randomly selected.

Either way, this sends a message to people not to join the program. The NHL has admitted more and more players are doing cocaine, but I don't recall anything ever happening because of it. This very harsh punishment happened because it's part of the rules of the program, so why would a player or team take that risk now?

"Every team is subject to teamwide, no-notice testing once during training camp and once during the regular season. Individual players can be selected for random testing during the regular season and playoffs."

I mean I’d put pretty good money that players who are in the assistance program get tested relatively frequently as part of their rehabilitation. One of my coworkers is a currently a recovering addict, lived and works at a sober living house(obviously these aren’t an 1/1 comparison)and drug testing is quite common. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be for those in the assistance program as well. Obviously it sucks that he’s going to be gone for awhile but actions have consequences.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Isn't there a privacy thing here, though? They can't speak about the program unless the player allows it, right? Or is it just the reason the player is in the program.
Players sign over their rights. Anything that impacts a player’s ability to play can be commented on. Most teams choose not to do this for various reasons. Avs are one of the most aggressive teams in that regard.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Friedman says his contract is essentially frozen while he's suspended for this and it can't be terminated. They can negotiate some sort of mutual buyout but that's about it.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Friedman says his contract is essentially frozen while he's suspended for this and it can't be terminated. They can negotiate some sort of mutual buyout but that's about it.
Either we hear something more damning during the next 6 months that allows Colorado to terminate the deal, or we will work out a trade after he returns. If he refuses to co-operate on a trade (with his NMC), sit him in the pressbox (or rather, you tell him to stay the f*** away from the rink), then waive him next summer. And if still someone doesn't pick him up, buy-out I guess (would be a nasty buy-out, but what can you do).

But I really doubt it goes that far. I think we have a resolution by the end of the year.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
The NHL sure makes some nonsensical decisions. Good luck getting any team or player to sign up for the assistance program again, now that they know they could pull you on game day from a playoff game for a drug test, and then suspend you without pay for at least 6 months.

If he didn't join the program, he never would have been drug tested. So the message you just sent everyone dealing with addiction is to not join the program, so they don't get tested.

That said, I'm very disappointed in Val for letting the team down again. Wouldn't be surprised if he was basically pushed to go into the program by the team, and never really took it seriously. I hope he can get things sorted in his life, and find a way to be happy without his vices.
I think it's a crazy good deal for the players. Protects them from getting their contract terminated. Avs probably could have pulled the trigger on that a few times now

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Also let's not forget this classic:

Anyone think Nuke is running around the club and slapping people yet?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think it's a crazy good deal for the players. Protects them from getting their contract terminated. Avs probably could have pulled the trigger on that a few times now
Yeah, I heard this narrative being pushed by some people. That the system makes no sense because it might dissuade some players to seek help if they have to face consequences like this. I disagree.

The line has to be drawn somewhere. Addiction is a disease and all that, sure. Great, go get help and we support you. But playing in the NHL is a privilege, not a right. Frankly, working anywhere is not really a right. Nichushkin is not being showed into a prison or something. At some point, the employer has to have the means to cut you off and tell you "go get help somewhere else". 6 months suspension without pay, while you are being paid tens of millions of dollars over the course of multiple years is really not that big of a price to pay for the third strike. I have a hard time thinking of many other (if any) areas of business where you are allowed that many chances. You might get one chance to go a rehab, after that it's contract termination. And in many areas, illegal substances are a cause for immediate termination, rehab is only there for alcoholism.

I might sound like a prick here, but given the tone of his teammates, I'm frankly going with the opinion that Val isn't that interested in staying clean. It's a shitty f***ing situation especially for his young family, but not something the Avs have to tolerate forever. 3 strikes in 13 months...

Reactions: TheGrimReaper

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Frozen?

F*** off. So they can't even get rid of this bum until November AND have to account for his cap hit?
What did you expect? Just failing the test is not a justified cause for termination if he goes into stage 3, and who would want to trade for him anyway while he has not yet been cleared?

It's a shitty f***ing situation all around.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
THERE IS ONLY ONE SOLUTION!

VOID THE CONTRACT, VAL NICHUSHKIN!

Val and his buddies would like to have a word with you about that.

1715783850706.png

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That is the key disclaimer. The can move to terminate the day he's back (doesn't mean it would hold up and doesn't mean there wouldn't be negotiation).

The way this ends is the Avs and Nuke parting ways. I think all parties know this... it is just a matter of which method. Nuke could hold his ground and say you have to buy him out where he gets ~20m (immediate big cap help, but big hits in a few years). Avs could terminate the day he's reinstated and fight it (where they still likely pay some, but less). Or the mutual buyout happens.

IMO the most likely case here is prior to July 1, there is a mutual contract termination. Where the Avs will pay Nuke between 10-15m and take a ~2m (+/-500k) cap hit for the rest of the term. Nuke then is free to sign anywhere he wants prior to free agency so he can get his preferred situation to start earning that money back.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Bull effing crap.

Period.

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
Sergei Fedotov agent/journalist who spoke about Nichushkin’s sleep problems: “This situation has nothing to do with the previous one. Now this is Valery’s big mistake, he made his choice and I’m not going to justify him in any way, even being his friend. Now they’re coming legal advice, but I can say that we will almost certainly not see Nichushkin in Colorado again, and perhaps in the NHL at all.”

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Sergei Fedotov agent/journalist who spoke about Nichushkin’s sleep problems: “This situation has nothing to do with the previous one. Now this is Valery’s big mistake, he made his choice and I’m not going to justify him in any way, even being his friend. Now they’re coming legal advice, but I can say that we will almost certainly not see Nichushkin in Colorado again, and perhaps in the NHL at all.”
Not to you as a poster... but Sergei Fedotov:

R.a3dbf4a36ed5c6b2d651ab70dde2e202

Unless we are simply stating that sleep problems are cocaine induced, which is accurate. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad