League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
So much for this being Winnipeg's year.
I was going to point something out on the mains (but can't be bothered arguing with all the morons in the Caps-Rangers series thread):

A very very good regular season Winnipeg team, who beat the Avs in all 3 regular season meetings, is being absolutely dominated by the Avs in their playoff series. Games 2, 3 and 4 haven't even been close, they have been blown out of the water.

For me it adds some perspective to the series against the Rangers. Sure, the Caps got swept, but the results weren't that one-sided. The Rangers needed to play some pretty good hockey to win those games. And they had the steadying hand of Lavi who probably deserves a lot of credit for the series win. It was noticeable in game 4 when it was tied 2-2 and the Caps had sustained pressure on the Rangers. They showed the bench and Lavi was telling his players to calm down and get their shit together.

Anyway - I guess the point is: there have been some very lop-sided series in this first round. Our team was pretty bad, but there are some genuinely good teams being made to look bad. Dallas is another one.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Regarding Marner, I'm not opposed to going after him, but one stat I saw before the playoffs started that worries me:

Marner in Games 1-4: 32GP, 9G, 30A, 39P, 1.22PPG
Marner in Games 5-7: 18GP, 1G, 7A, 8P, 0.44PPG

The complaint seems to be less that Marner can't contribute in the playoffs, and more that he wilts late in series when the pressure gets high. He's played in 4 game 7's and a game 5 in the weird covid playoffs and has a total of 2 assists in those games. Maybe that's an issue that goes away if he leaves the media circus of Toronto, and maybe the Caps shouldn't be worrying about something like that when they're not even good enough to force a game 7 right now, but I definitely think there's more fire to the smoke here than compared to Oshie's reputation on the Blues.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Regarding Marner, I'm not opposed to going after him, but one stat I saw before the playoffs started that worries me:

Marner in Games 1-4: 32GP, 9G, 30A, 39P, 1.22PPG
Marner in Games 5-7: 18GP, 1G, 7A, 8P, 0.44PPG

The complaint seems to be less that Marner can't contribute in the playoffs, and more that he wilts late in series when the pressure gets high. He's played in 4 game 7's and a game 5 in the weird covid playoffs and has a total of 2 assists in those games. Maybe that's an issue that goes away if he leaves the media circus of Toronto, and maybe the Caps shouldn't be worrying about something like that when they're not even good enough to force a game 7 right now, but I definitely think there's more fire to the smoke here than compared to Oshie's reputation on the Blues.

I just don't buy that Marner is a choker not worthy of pursuing, unless Matthews and Nylander are also both chokers not worth pursuing. Marner drives huge positive impacts both offensively and defensively, both in the regular season and the playoffs.

Seems far more likely that the issue in Toronto is with a combination of coaching and a defensive corps that slants far too much to the "stay at home" side of things.

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
I still can't understand how the Leafs front office thought it was a good idea to give a 37 year old Reaves a 3 year deal and meaningful ice time in the playoffs. His inability to complete a standard breakout pass resulted in a goal that jumpstarted the win for the B's.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I still can't understand how the Leafs front office thought it was a good idea to give a 37 year old Reaves a 3 year deal and meaningful ice time in the playoffs. His inability to complete a standard breakout pass resulted in a goal that jumpstarted the win for the B's.
Just good hockey people doing good hockey things.

Signed,

Brad Treliving, good hockey guy.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

I just don't buy that Marner is a choker not worthy of pursuing, unless Matthews and Nylander are also both chokers not worth pursuing. Marner drives huge positive impacts both offensively and defensively, both in the regular season and the playoffs.

Seems far more likely that the issue in Toronto is with a combination of coaching and a defensive corps that slants far too much to the "stay at home" side of things.

I don’t doubt Marner’s skill and ability to produce. But, this might be a case where watching the games would help. Guy has no compete - never battles for pucks, constantly whines to the refs instead of staying with the play, and never takes a hit to make a play. Quoting Nylander from G4, “stop crying, you’re not in juniors anymore.”

He’s fine for the regular season, especially if the Caps just want a more entertaining product, and a guy to set up Ovi. But then after Ovi retires, when they’ll need to tank and rebuild for a new core, he’ll be 30 with a boat anchor contract. I doubt he waives his NMC for us anyways, so most of this discussion is moot, lol.

The Leafs also might be fine keeping him, since Matthews loves him, and needs him to drive play. They get JT off the books after next year IINM, so they could be fine paying a “big 3” of forwards, and using the JT money to better balance their roster. Not sure why anyone thinks they’d move Nylander since they just re-signed him.

Reactions: CapsCrazyX17

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
In terms of impact players that could feasibly be acquired, Marner is one to target alongside Reinhart. That’s about it. Perhaps Guentzel as well.

Lesser tier players might be Teravainen, Debrusk, Marchessault. not saying we necessarily pursue all these guys, but those are the options by and large.

Marner is especially intriguing. Most of us agree we need playmakers to generate more high danger offensive chances. Marner does that, just from the wing. We wouldn’t need to upgrade at center if it meant we had an elite play driver outside.

Everyone has the bench drama seared into their memory now, but also forget Marner followed it up with a pretty ridiculous move to get them back within two right after that. So really you could argue he was the only player to show some “compete” in that game

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.

As much as I don’t care for Marner, I think you are right on this. While I think Marner is soft, I don’t think he’s a choker necessarily.

If he is available and can be acquired cheap, that’s a gamble I would take. He’s exactly what the top 6 lacks.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
God the NHL replay rules are so hopelessly f***ed up. If it takes 5 minutes, then it’s not obviously in need of overturning - but apparently no one’s allowed to think that.

f***, let’s make every icing/no icing call and every he was across the red line when he released the puck/no he wasn’t subject to review.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
God the NHL replay rules are so hopelessly f***ed up. If it takes 5 minutes, then it’s not obviously in need of overturning - but apparently no one’s allowed to think that.

f***, let’s make every icing/no icing call and every he was across the red line when he released the puck/no he wasn’t subject to review.
If we're talking actual potential game impact then these micro-offside reviews are totally meaningless. I'd rather they make something like high-sticking reviewable, including missed calls.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
The one tonight was GI. And the consensus was to wipe the goal out - but it took at least 5 minutes to decide that with the usual slowing down and freeze framing. To my eyes, it was an effective slightly sleazy screen - something that I find entertaining and should be rewarded rather than punished

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
If we're talking actual potential game impact then these micro-offside reviews are totally meaningless. I'd rather they make something like high-sticking reviewable, including missed calls.
Also, if they're going to do offside review, why only do it for goals? Why not also say, for instance, that a team can demand a review after a penalty is called against them, thus wiping out the penalty if they're right?

Reactions: g00n

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Also, if they're going to do offside review, why only do it for goals? Why not also say, for instance, that a team can demand a review after a penalty is called against them, thus wiping out the penalty if they're right?
I mean penalties are more ticky tack than an offside. It would be hard to overturn a hooking call, but it may work for an elbow/high stick/interference

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Not a fan of the cat meow mixed with the in arena announcing scoring plays at Florida. Join us Tampa in golf time.
That Panthers "roooowrrr" sound effect is really stupid. Always makes me shake my head.

Glad they beat Tampa though. I don't mind Florida in the final, but I think the West is winning it again this year. Just hope it's not Vegas cos eff them.

Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I mean penalties are more ticky tack than an offside. It would be hard to overturn a hooking call, but it may work for an elbow/high stick/interference
you misunderstand. I'm saying that a goal isn't the o ly time a missed offside call might be impactful so having that be the only time you can challenge is is arbitrary and dumb. my example was a penalty...if an opposing player went offside before the hooking was called, why not let a coach challenge the offside to avoid the penalty?

And to be clear, this would be terrible. I'm just making the point.

Reactions: g00n and HTFN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad