NHL News/Notes XIX

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So exactly 1 million over the cap with 12 forwards and 7 defensemen signed.

So who else are they losing before this is all said and done.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
So exactly 1 million over the cap with 12 forwards and 7 defensemen signed.

So who else are they losing before this is all said and done.

Could stick guy in AHL (and get up to $1m in cap relief). Dahlstrom is probably starting there, so that's $850k. And would make them cap compliant.

Owner said keep, and GM has reiterated: Fleury not leaving team. (So they've got $12m in cap by goalies)

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Could stick guy in AHL (and get up to $1m in cap relief). Dahlstrom is probably starting there, so that's $850k. And would make them cap compliant.

Owner said keep, and GM has reiterated: Fleury not leaving team. (So they've got $12m in cap by goalies)

Would be brave to do, 0 cap and 0 reliefs on the roster.

To be safely under the cap and a full roster with any kind of wiggle room they still need to remove 1 player that makes about 3 million.

That would leave them with 1.3 million in cap space to cover any minor call ups.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Doc Emrick ending career as voice of hockey

Legend retires.

That said, since the NBC began covering the NHL in 2005, we did not get many Sharks games with Doc Emrick on PBP. Probably just the 2016 SCF and the most recent all star game in SJ, although that's not a Sharks game. 15 years of the NHL on NBC and Doc Emrick probably called 6 Sharks games (the Cup finals). I always blamed Doc, but it's likely NBC because Emrick was their top national announcer and no matter how good/elite the Sharks were, they never put the Sharks in an NBC national game. (Yes back in 2012 or something they played on the Red Wings on NBC on a Sunday, but it was not the lone single game that Sunday and Doc did not call it). There was also a game against the Kings in the 00's on main NBC, but also not a Doc Emrick call. And don't get me started about the lack of Sharks/Pacific division representation in the January 1 Winter Classic.

Thanks for nothing NBC for depriving us of seeing our team more often with Doc Emrick doing on the PBP. Enjoy your retirement Doc. Maybe in your free time, when covid is over, come to SAP Center, a building you haven't been to very often in the past 15 years.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Paywall. Good read. Lots of possibilities, no front runners. Way too many unknowns.

Looks like a disaster... They better hope pro sports gets fast tracked to the vaccine or I don't see how they'll be able to pull this off without a bubble. The fact you can have the virus but test negative a for a few days makes this infinitely more difficult.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@Doctor Soraluce did you read the article? A hub/bubble (regional) might happen. (But not a totally locked down bubble like the playoffs/return to play)

But NOTHING is decided. Everything is being considered.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Trevor daley added as hockey operations advisor in pittsburgh.

I don't remember him retiring lol.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Just saw that Boston will be without Patrnak (labrum) and Marchand (sports hernia) for a bit, 2021 is not looking good for them. Both surgeries are the type where we see a higher chance for extended recoveries/suboptimal outcomes as well.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Just saw that Boston will be without Patrnak (labrum) and Marchand (sports hernia) for a bit, 2021 is not looking good for them. Both surgeries are the type where we see a higher chance for extended recoveries/suboptimal outcomes as well.

Marchand i think was 4 months. Never seen the pasta one. Marchand should be back for opening night at the latest.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Marchand i think was 4 months. Never seen the pasta one. Marchand should be back for opening night at the latest.

The article suggested neither is likely to be back for opening night (Marchand mid-January and Pasta in February).

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The article suggested neither is likely to be back for opening night (Marchand mid-January and Pasta in February).

The bruin fans on the main board are all saying what i said, the surgeries happened some time in september. So 4 months and 5 months from then. If marchand takes the max lenght which most pro athletes do not, then at the very latest he should be back in week 1. Pasta is for sure missing a few weeks of the season under best case.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The bruin fans on the main board are all saying what i said, the surgeries happened some time in september. So 4 months and 5 months from then. If marchand takes the max lenght which most pro athletes do not, then at the very latest he should be back in week 1. Pasta is for sure missing a few weeks of the season under best case.

The 4 month recovery timeframe outlined by the Bruins from the Sept. 14 surgery is not prior to January 1st ("opening night at the latest").

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad