Line Combos: Next Year's 1st line

Next Year's Top Six

• Keep Suzuki Line Intact, Dach gets leftovers

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • Suzuki-Slafkovsky & Caufield-Dach

Votes: 41 56.2%
  • Caufield-Suzuki & Dach-Slafkovsky

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Caufield-Dach-Slafkovsky, Let Suzuki make even more players better!

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think our strategy is a stretch, might be yours. We need to wait for our prospects to develop, not displace them, so many are so impatient. Team building takes time, binman's mess even longer.

How does signing Toffoli for 3 years displace our prospects? Only guy we got that can crack the top 6 is Roy and Toffoli doesn't block him bud.

Team building is going to still happen. But our forward pool lacks quality. The 5th pick won't turn the needle in the next 2/3 years in our top 6. So yeah, if there is no Dach/Newhook trade to be found, I can see us considering Toffoli as small bridge.

I'm assuming you want to stay bottom 5 or bottom 10? Respectful. But I do think this Habs roster moves up and our management wants to move up the standings. I doubt it's going to be bottom 10 and then rocket up to playoffs. There will be picks in the mid range of the 1st round to come.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Too soon...

Depends heavily on who/if Habs add any additional top 6 talent.

If they don't, I like the idea of Slaf/Suzuki & Dach/CC as two pairs that we work with.

If Roy has a great camp, I could see:

Slaf Suzuki Roy
CC Dach Newhook

Reactions: waitin425

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
How does signing Toffoli for 3 years displace our prospects? Only guy we got that can crack the top 6 is Roy and Toffoli doesn't block him bud.

Team building is going to still happen. But our forward pool lacks quality. The 5th pick won't turn the needle in the next 2/3 years in our top 6. So yeah, if there is no Dach/Newhook trade to be found, I can see us considering Toffoli as small bridge.

I'm assuming you want to stay bottom 5 or bottom 10? Respectful. But I do think this Habs roster moves up and our management wants to move up the standings. I doubt it's going to be bottom 10 and then rocket up to playoffs. There will be picks in the mid range of the 1st round to come.
What is important about improving our foreword pool right now. What is the point of moving up if it leads nowhere, I would rather suck until the prospects are ready to go, it gives us better picks. The time to add when most of your team is ready for the next step.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What is important about improving our foreword pool right now. What is the point of moving up if it leads nowhere, I would rather suck until the prospects are ready to go, it gives us better picks. The time to add when most of your team is ready for the next step.

Yes, we can improve the forward pool now and I'm sure we will. Not saying this would be my plan... But they will have dual strategies going on at the same time during these transition years. Keep improving the pool and adding quality but also improve the team on the ice.

Us fans might want another top 5 or top 10 pick next draft. Not so sure that is Gorton/Hughes/MSL plan. I know MSL didn't like us trading Monahan.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That top line was great. Slaf will be better and hopefully CC gets his shot back. Maybe you just leave it as is. I’m fine with CC going with Dach though. Roy can play with them, Newhook goes to the first. Then you’ve got two solid lines.

I just hope that CC can get his shot back. If he can, it won’t matter what line he’s on. And of course, Dach must stay healthy.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Glad that this idea wasn't completely dismissed!

The worst thing a team can do, regardless of how their season went, is running it back without thinking about maximizing the team's output. I'm sure we'll end up with the big 3 together, but Dach is a legit scorer so moving someone to his line is hardly a demotion

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Ultimately, we have to see what additions Hughes make in the offseason.

But I'd like to see what numbers Suzuki, Caufield, and Slaf can put up playing a whole year together, and with a good Dach centered 2nd line behind them.

CC - Suzuki - Skaf
Roy - Dach - Dvo
Gallagher- Newhook - Armia
RHP - Evan's - Anderson
Pez, Ylo
That 2nd line with Dvorak horrible line.

Better hope Hughes adds more than just through the draft this offseason.

Reactions: Holystik

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That 2nd line with Dvorak horrible line.

Better hope Hughes adds more than just through the draft this offseason.
I would like to see us add. But I think Dvo could be a digger on a line with two offensive players, plus he has some finish and can make plays with his linemates. I think he's better than the other overpaid vets when at wing (Anderson, Armia, Gallgher).

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Ultimately, we have to see what additions Hughes make in the offseason.

But I'd like to see what numbers Suzuki, Caufield, and Slaf can put up playing a whole year together, and with a good Dach centered 2nd line behind them.

CC - Suzuki - Skaf
Roy - Dach - Dvo
Gallagher- Newhook - Armia
RHP - Evan's - Anderson
Pez, Ylo
I would change the position of Dvorak and Newhook. Dvo is a center and play better at his natural position. it is also a contract year for him. So I expect him to give his 100%.

Reactions: 26Mats

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
In my opinion it would be silly to break up Slaf Suzuki Caufield.

Habs for the first time in decades had a legitimate first line last year.

Obviously you adjust throughout the season but starting off I'd let em ride.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
You definitely have to keep that Suzuki line intact to start the season. They were one of the best lines of hockey since put together.

You only break that line if it goes on a slump or when the team overall starts struggling to score goals.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
Hmm Ideally we find a better, healthier center on the market than Dach so: CC - Suzuki - Dach is still a good first line. And, we can temper expectations on Dach and hope he plays his first full NHL season.
Betting on healthy Dach is like expecting Drouin to give a shit whenever there's a new head or assistant coach or someone who could definitely have a chemistry with him. One shouldn't expect it to happen. And if it does, Canadiens are in a great situation. Adding another top-6 calibre center won't do any harm. But if he's injured again there'll be another center circus where bottom-sixers and wingers give it a try.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad