Line Combos: Next Year's 1st line

Next Year's Top Six

• Keep Suzuki Line Intact, Dach gets leftovers

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • Suzuki-Slafkovsky & Caufield-Dach

Votes: 41 56.2%
  • Caufield-Suzuki & Dach-Slafkovsky

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Caufield-Dach-Slafkovsky, Let Suzuki make even more players better!

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
MSL knows that Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky works great as a first line, but with Dach, Newhook, Roy, and more coming into the mix, it might be better long term to spread the wealth and really begin to build a strong top9. We've seen many top contending teams do this, knowing that stacking the top line is there if needed. But in order to prevent us from being a one line team, I think we may need to move one of Suzuki's wings onto Dach's line.

Both Dach/Slafkovsky and Dach/Caufield have good potential, and of course Suzuki can play with anymore. Would you split up the top line in order to move the team forward? If so, what would be your core in the top six?

I can see the merits of keeping them together as well, drawing top opponents and giving our other players easier matchups. But it is always important to recognize that each season brings its own makeup of options and while keeping the line intact could be the right one, we'll know that by considering the alternatives.

Last edited:

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I voted for Caufield to get paired with Dach. I think we could have a proper top six and while everyone loves Nick and Cole together, Slaf and Nick are looking like a great 2-way duo and if you add another defensive winger to that line you can really shut down opponents without sacrificing offense. Then Caufield and Dach can play with Roy or Newhook, and get soft minutes to rack up production. Better yet, if a different winger can be the third guy on that line, Newhook & Roy can be another Duo on the third line.

Reactions: waitin425

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ultimately, we have to see what additions Hughes make in the offseason.

But I'd like to see what numbers Suzuki, Caufield, and Slaf can put up playing a whole year together, and with a good Dach centered 2nd line behind them.

CC - Suzuki - Skaf
Roy - Dach - Dvo
Gallagher- Newhook - Armia
RHP - Evan's - Anderson
Pez, Ylo

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My hunch says we have difficulty trading for a young top 6F so we sign Toffoli on a team friendly deal. I don't think Monahan signs with us this time around. He probably signs with a contender

Many will be like meh but Toffoli will be our top 6F add as a bridge for Iggy's development time.

Caufield / Suzuki / Toffoli
Roy / Dach / Slaf
Newhook / Evans / Anderson
RHP / Dvorak / Gallagher

Ylonen, Pezzetta

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think we leave The Three alone to start the season..............but we have no idea on who we trade for, or draft at this point....this will change everything.

Also, I know this may not be popular, but there is no way in my books J Roy gets a top 6 spot, unless we get some crazy injury scenario once again......part of me thnks, he needs to go back to the AHL, but he could also have a great camp and become part of the top 9.

Reactions: PhysicX

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
My hunch says we have difficulty trading for a young top 6F so we sign Toffoli on a team friendly deal. I don't think Monahan signs with us this time around. He probably signs with a contender

Many will be like meh but Toffoli will be our top 6F add as a bridge for Iggy's development time.

Caufield / Suzuki / Toffoli
Roy / Dach / Slaf
Newhook / Evans / Anderson
RHP / Dvorak / Gallagher

Ylonen, Pezzetta
I doubt Toffoli signs a team friendly deal. Dude has posted career highs and never really cashed it in. IMO he's getting 6.5+

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I doubt Toffoli signs a team friendly deal. Dude has posted career highs and never really cashed it in. IMO he's getting 6.5+

Possible but I think Toffoli and his girl likes Montreal a lot. He may consider 3x $5M for Montreal.

Contenders likely don't have the cap room to sign him for $6.5M. So his options are bottom half of the NHL if he wants to cash in.

Reactions: BLONG7

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Possible but I think Toffoli and his girl likes Montreal a lot. He may consider 3x $5M for Montreal.

Contenders likely don't have the cap room to sign him for $6.5M. So his options are bottom half of the NHL if he wants to cash in.
3 yrs for a 32 yr old Toffoli?
1715863199555.png

Reactions: WeThreeKings

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Hmm Ideally we find a better, healthier center on the market than Dach so: CC - Suzuki - Dach is still a good first line. And, we can temper expectations on Dach and hope he plays his first full NHL season.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
As of right now, I’d put Newhook with Slaf and Suzuki to add speed to the line. Roy with Dach and Caufield.

If Hugues adds a top 6 winger, I’d put Newhook back to 3rd line center with Gallagher and Armia. That line was pretty efficient at the end of the season.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Doesn't hurt the team and fits our strategy of adding a top 6F. 32, 33, 34 years and we know he can already play with Suzuki/Caufield.

I know, it's not the attractive add. This would be plan B if we can't find a trade for a top 6F like Dach/Newhook (close to Suzuki's) age.
You have to be concerned with Toffoli's skating. This could turn ugly even if TT is a smart player.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I say break up the first line and tank for first overall yeah I said it
I still don’t see how we climb out of the top ten without considerable signings AND our top guys taking massive leaps in their offensive and defensive game.

You don’t even need to break up the first line.

Reactions: PhysicX

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Slaf Suz Roy at some point during the season
Hook Dach Cauf
Assuming we make no splashes on the FA market or via trade.....I'm down with trying this ^^^

Dream scenario....

We sign Stamkos or Marchessault to a 3 or 4 year deal for veteran leadership and as a place holder for whoever we draft this year.

Samkos/Marchessault - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook/Roy - Dach - Caufield
Roy/Newhook - DVO - Armia
Anderson - Evans - Gally
RHP

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I still don’t see how we climb out of the top ten without considerable signings AND our top guys taking massive leaps in their offensive and defensive game.

You don’t even need to break up the first line.
I've seen way too many garbage habs teams play above their heads in my lifetime to count them out....

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Doesn't hurt the team and fits our strategy of adding a top 6F. 32, 33, 34 years and we know he can already play with Suzuki/Caufield.

I know, it's not the attractive add. This would be plan B if we can't find a trade for a top 6F like Dach/Newhook (close to Suzuki's) age.

I think our strategy is a stretch, might be yours. We need to wait for our prospects to develop, not displace them, so many are so impatient. Team building takes time, binman's mess even longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad