News & Notes XLIII: Cam Ward is a Cute lil 10 Year Old

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Whenever I would see a guy driving an exotic sports car, my first thought was "midlife crisis". It was only as I went through having kids that I realized that I couldn't afford a sports car before middle age. With 3 kids on my insurance, a sports care would cost too much.
I‘m single and childless and I still can’t afford an exotic sports car haha. Ive refrained from the avocado toast but had a few too many iced coffees from Starbucks.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I‘m single and childless and I still can’t afford an exotic sports car haha. Ive refrained from the avocado toast but had a few too many iced coffees from Starbucks.
There are a lot of Mazda miata convertibles up here. I always like to tell my wife it’s guys having a midlife crisis but “on a budget”.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
There are a lot of Mazda miata convertibles up here. I always like to tell my wife it’s guys having a midlife crisis but “on a budget”.
Nothing underlines my failure as a man like the fact that whenever a car model gets mentioned, my usual reaction is "no idea, does it have an equivalent in GTA V?".

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Starbucks iced chai has been my gateway drug into fancy coffee shop chai….and that’s about as pricey as my mid life existential journey is going to get. I’m too cheap for an expensive vehicle. I’m going the other way, camping out of beat up pickups and watching sunsets from the toughest to get to pretty places I can find as far from human contact as possible.

Wait….I think I might’ve gone straight to elderly.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Back in the 90's my ex-wife had a Miata convertible I used to drive. It was fun but felt kinda like a toy compared to the Porsche 944s I drove for close to a decade. The 944s weren't especially fast but were really solid and handled like they were on rails.

My 944s weren't the result of a mid life crises, rather me taking advantage of what I suspect was one of the best used car buys of all time. I had two, each purchased 2 years old with only around 16k miles. I paid mid teens for each, about half of their new retail cost. That ended when traffic came to a stop on I40 in RTP and I was rear ended by a 16 wheeler. Totaled my 944 and dominoed another 4 or 5 cars in front of me. No air bag in the 944 back then but I walked away totally unscathed. If I had driven my base Nissan pickup truck that day I'm sure I'd have sustained serious injuries (or worse).

Last edited:

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
On Reddit there’s a long standing joke that Miata stands for Miata is always the answer whenever people ask what car they should get. There’s a subreddit dedicated to what people fit in them as their daily drivers and it’s hilarious.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Oddly enough, the first car I ever owned is probably the only one that could be considered a "sports car", even though it didn't handle like one. It was a 66 Mustang with a 289. Some guy that worked with my dad bought it in 1967 brand new and only put about 20,000 miles on it in almost 20 years and didn't drive it much in winters so it was in good condition. I was a senior in high school and didn't have enough money to buy it outright, so my Dad and I bought it together.

That thing had some get up and go though, but the handling was terrible and I almost rolled it one night on a road I wasn't familiar with a sharp corner. Still loved that car though.

When I graduated college and moved out east, I sold my 1/2 to my brother and then a few years later, he and my Dad sold it completely. Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I could have kept it.

I never got the bug to buy a sportster of any sort since then, other than when I see an older Mustang for sale. I've driven a pick-up truck since 2006.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
My late hubby had a few Miatas and a Honda S2000. Many fun times were had cruising around especially when we could visit the mountains and tool around on the curvy roads. One day I was driving down Spring Forest Rd in the S2000 when a City of Raleigh utility just drifted into my lane at 45 mph and no time to stop. When I came to a group of people were surrounding me with a fire extinguisher. I remember the fumes from the airbag burning my eyes and I was trying to escape. Luckily, I only had a few cracked ribs and some scratches but that was kinda the end of my joyrides in such cars.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
On Reddit there’s a long standing joke that Miata stands for Miata is always the answer whenever people ask what car they should get. There’s a subreddit dedicated to what people fit in them as their daily drivers and it’s hilarious.
I follow both of those…

I’ve had 10 foot boards sticking up out of mine on many occasions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad