Post-Series Talk: New York Rangers defeat the Washington Capitals 4-0

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Yeah, I think both the Pens and Wings would have been more competitive. Honestly, I think the Wings would have done better than the Pens.

This was the only series I had as a sweep in my bracket and honestly, the Caps did better than I thought they would. I was expecting 5/6-0 blowouts every game but I don't think the Rangers were playing at 100%. I think that was "play well enough to win and save yourself as best you can".
Having witnessed many rangers/caps wars in the past, and knowing wilson might wilson out any time (see his oenalty at the end of p1 last night) i was not expecting a sweep. I voted 5 but was dreading 6. Thrilled with this outcome. The caps had a lead for 1% of the series run time, and the rangers doubled them up on the scoreboard.

I thiught the red wings would have been a more fun storyline, but also an easier matchup because they don’t have a goon factor like Washington.

Reactions: Summer Rose

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Having witnessed many rangers/caps wars in the past, and knowing wilson might wilson out any time (see his oenalty at the end of p1 last night) i was not expecting a sweep. I voted 5 but was dreading 6. Thrilled with this outcome. The caps had a lead for 1% of the series run time, and the rangers doubled them up on the scoreboard.

I thiught the red wings would have been a more fun storyline, but also an easier matchup because they don’t have a goon factor like Washington.
Outside of a single hit, I don't think a goon factor played much of a role. A team with speedy, skilled forecheckers aren't going out seeking that so guys like Rempe start to become less of a factor.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Outside of a single hit, I don't think a goon factor played much of a role. A team with speedy, skilled forecheckers aren't going out seeking that so guys like Rempe start to become less of a factor.
In this series? Yeah, rempe was in the caps heads pretty good. Goon factor always plays a role in the playoffs. It’s why i am not really worried about carolina. What are they going to do, bleed on us?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
In this series? Yeah, rempe was in the caps heads pretty good. Goon factor always plays a role in the playoffs. It’s why i am not really worried about carolina. What are they going to do, bleed on us?
I mean, I guess? Maybe?

I think Carolina is going to focus more on rolling four competent offensive threats and the Rangers will be more focused on their own game rather than waiting for Rempe to deliver a single hit.

Think Tom Wilson against the Penguins in 16/17. Penguins didn't give a f*** about Wilson and while the Caps were hell bent on delivering hits, the Pens merely skated right by them and focused on scoring and winning games. I see the Canes doing the same.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
I mean, I guess? Maybe?

I think Carolina is going to focus more on rolling four competent offensive threats and the Rangers will be more focused on their own game rather than waiting for Rempe to deliver a single hit.

Think Tom Wilson against the Penguins in 16/17. Penguins didn't give a f*** about Wilson and while the Caps were hell bent on delivering hits, the Pens merely skated right by them and focused on scoring and winning games. I see the Canes doing the same.
It isn’t about a single hit. It is in fact about the totality of play, and the ongoing effect if a guy like that over time. Teams don’t win the cup without that factor.

Rangers are 18-2-1 with rempe in the lineup, including 13 straight wins, and 9-1-1 against playoff teams, and 5-1-1 against “top half” playoff teams. It isn’t and never will be just one hit.

Also Wilson is a total head case so you never know what you’re getting with that guy.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Congrats Rangers! On being 1st team to step-up, and eliminate team from playoffs, thus making it on to 2nd rd. Think Rangers are legit "Cup" contenders this season and next round we'll all find out more to what Rangers can do and can't do against better comp. Rangers -vs- Canes should be good one, if Canes take care of business.

Congrats Caps for making playoffs, The late season push to make playoffs had to be exciting, we enjoyed watching east teams going for it this yr. Caps overachieved somewhat when considering where they were before playoff push, Ovi struggling compared to normal porduction, and Caps - goal-differeial story. But Caps still gave fans something to cheer on, condition can always be worse.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
kinda agree, Rod and his band of brothers may whine the whole series and get some calls go his way.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I mean, I guess? Maybe?

I don't think the Rangers have or will focus on throwing hits and intimidating the 'Canes or something but there is always something about making the hard plays to punish the other team and create turnovers etc. Stuff like Lafreniere's play in the first game. If you run around trying to throw wild hits then you're losing focus of what wins games, but don't pass up opportunities to put some hurt on the other team while not getting yourself out of the play. It adds up over a series.

As for Rempe, unfortunately the way I see him making a difference in a series if he nails some Canes player and knocks them out of the game and then once again the story turns to him gooning it up and the other team getting all worked up about it. I'd be happy with Canes looking over their shoulders during every dump in

That is even if he plays

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I mean, I guess? Maybe?

Rempe will sit for Chytil if he’s healthy.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Congrats Rangers! On being 1st team to step-up, and eliminate team from playoffs, thus making it on to 2nd rd. Think Rangers are legit "Cup" contenders this season and next round we'll all find out more to what Rangers can do and can't do against better comp. Rangers -vs- Canes should be good one, if Canes take care of business.

Congrats Caps for making playoffs, The late season push to make playoffs had to be exciting, we enjoyed watching east teams going for it this yr. Caps overachieved somewhat when considering where they were before playoff push, Ovi struggling compared to normal porduction, and Caps - goal-differeial story. But Caps still gave fans something to cheer on, condition can always be worse.
And congrats Canes for eliminating the Islanders. I didn't realize the series was over but going by many of the posts here, it must be. Good thing Carolina didn't look past the first round and take anything for granted.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
rangers are too good not to have him in the lineup. Guys are looking all over to check where the freight training is coming from. The rangers can offset a few bad zone exits with #73 on the ice. He will bruise and dent guys all round. The hits add up. Just ask Fox how his knee is feeling
That first Washington goal was mostly on him. Left the zone early and his guy to cover snuck in at the back post.

It’s not only a few bad zone exits. He’s bad defensively and the NHL is going to call anything that looks close to a penalty as a penalty to look tough on Rempe. He had two of those called on him this series. In a close series, the penalties could be the major difference and the defensive zone weakness makes him into a player you can’t trust to take 35% of his shifts.

I like Rempe, but in the playoffs you have to be careful with him on your team and pick your spots. You have him as a change of energy option if you need to shake things up. You can also throw him in there if things get out of hand physically. In the regular season I’d play him every game where each result doesn’t have the same importance, but it’s too risky in the playoffs for an erratic rookie.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yes, obviously. The point is Carolina has better goaltending than the Caps.
I think that’s questionable, but we’ll see. I think both teams have goaltending as a weakness.

Jesus, I wasn't even aware he was trying to comeback. I thought he was done-zo?
He’s been cleared in the last few weeks. Surprised everyone. I think they were trying to be extra cautious saying what they did in January. Chytil as a competitor wants to play and probably wanted to defy the expectations, so from January to April he’s progressed well and the team said that they won’t hold him back if he wants to play.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
That first Washington goal was mostly on him. Left the zone early and his guy to cover snuck in at the back post.

It’s not only a few bad zone exits. He’s bad defensively and the NHL is going to call anything that looks close to a penalty as a penalty to look tough on Rempe. He had two of those called on him this series. In a close series, the penalties could be the major difference and the defensive zone weakness makes him into a player you can’t trust to take 35% of his shifts.

I like Rempe, but in the playoffs you have to be careful with him on your team and pick your spots. You have him as a change of energy option if you need to shake things up. You can also throw him in there if things get out of hand physically. In the regular season I’d play him every game where each result doesn’t have the same importance, but it’s too risky in the playoffs for an erratic rookie.
Think l

Think lavy rolls with the kid. Until he hurts them why not.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
So the rangers played 3-on-4 on every PP to make sure one guy was locking OV down. Solid bet nobody was doing that in the reg season.

On the radio broadcast last night they said something like the rangers blocked more of his shot attempts this series than in any other one season against him or something like that.
Yep, exactly the strategy I have asked teams to use for the last 10 years and it was only last year some teams started doing it on occasion with brilliant results. Good on NYR for finally waking up and doing something that should have been done a decade ago if not more!

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Unsurprising, the team that has no business being in the playoffs got absolutely smoked when in the playoffs.

I wish Detroit would have made it, they would have put up a much better fight I think.
Detroit had no business being in the playoffs, either. This was one of the easier years to make the playoffs in the east, so if a team missed- then there are zero excuses.

Maybe they squeeze out one win, but they're also not that good of a team. I would fully expect the #1 seed in the east to beat the hell out of any of the teams that were tripping over themselves in the 'race' for the 2nd WC spot. All of the WC contenders closing out the year were not playing good hockey, so I don't think any of them really give the Rangers much of a fight.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Jesus, I wasn't even aware he was trying to comeback. I thought he was done-zo?
He started practicing in January and fell over during a skate. It was pretty scary. The Rangers won't say anything but it was pretty obvious Post Concussion Syndrome.

He went back to Czechia for awhile and he felt good, so he started skating in March. He's done full-contact practices since then with no setbacks and the doctors are saying there's nothing wrong with him right now.

The Rangers are being cautious given the scary nature of the fall, but he's been fine for like six weeks now and I think we see him in the playoffs at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad