Proposal: New winger for Grioux

Coop19

Jan 16, 2017
I was just curious if you guys think we need a new winger for Giroux? The last dozen games he can't build chemistry with our current wingers. Possibly a trade for a winger that can get Giroux going?

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Don't have problem to give up one of our top D prospects not in the NHL for Landeskog, we need to improve our 5v5 scoring, new defense is not going to improve 5v5 scoring itself, more talented and better defensemen will help that, but not entirely. We need forward or 2 who are great or very good 5on5... someone like Landeskog address that area.

Lindblom who could step up on the Flyers as soon as in the next season could have pretty good impact, probably not from the get go, but at some point, he could be pretty good player 5on5, but very likely not on high-end level of someone like Landeskog. Prospects like Rubtsov or Laberge are quite far away.

Great player to target for Hextall. Price is high though.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
we could use a new almost everything except stable of D prospects

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
we could use a new almost everything except stable of D prospects

Yeah, we have a ton of wholes to fill.

We need another center who has at least a Couturier level of impact on the game.
We need a scoring LW to play with Giroux.
We need 3-4 new defenseman, of course we have those players, just need to bring them up.
We need to make improvements to our third and fourth line.
We need a goalie, either a starter that will share time with Stolarz or a backup behind Stolarz. It is possible that we could just resign Mason or Neuvy though, which is IMO not ideal.

Getting a new winger for Giroux would probably be several spots down the ladder of priority.

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
Yeah, we have a ton of wholes to fill.

We need another center who has at least a Couturier level of impact on the game.
We need a scoring LW to play with Giroux.
We need 3-4 new defenseman, of course we have those players, just need to bring them up.
We need to make improvements to our third and fourth line.
We need a goalie, either a starter that will share time with Stolarz or a backup behind Stolarz. It is possible that we could just resign Mason or Neuvy though, which is IMO not ideal.

Getting a new winger for Giroux would probably be several spots down the ladder of priority.

Replace Schenn on 3rd C put to 1LW... problem solved?

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Really the least of this teams issues. D will be solved with time. Goaltending is the question mark now.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Coot's wings are taken so i guess we should just trade him too right?

The balance of our skilled forwards is off. But if the Flyers can convert guys or make a square peg fit in a round hole, that's fine too. I'm in favor of keeping Schenn. Either 3C or 2RW. Then on Coots' other side I'd put a displaced TK. First line of Lindblom - Giroux - Voracek (wishful thinking rookie doesn't play worse than Raffl. And the 3rd line would look like Raffl - ? - Simmonds.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The balance of our skilled forwards is off. But if the Flyers can convert guys or make a square peg fit in a round hole, that's fine too. I'm in favor of keeping Schenn. Either 3C or 2RW. Then on Coots' other side I'd put a displaced TK. First line of Lindblom - Giroux - Voracek (wishful thinking rookie doesn't play worse than Raffl. And the 3rd line would look like Raffl - ? - Simmonds.

If we were to add someone like Berglund as a UFA' this works too.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Trade Sanheim for Nylander

TK Giroux Simmonds
Schenn Nylander Voracek
Raffl Couts Lindblom

I hate the trade Sanheim proposals but this one is less revolting. Good young player for good young player. Also, I love Nylander. In Sanheim, Flyers are giving up the player with more potential value, and, Toronto, in Nylander, are giving up the more proven player who has a ton of upside. Overall, I think the trade is pretty fair.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I hate the trade Sanheim proposals but this one is less revolting. Good young player for good young player. Also, I love Nylander. In Sanheim, Flyers are giving up the player with more potential value, and, Toronto, in Nylander, are giving up the more proven player who has a ton of upside. Overall, I think the trade is pretty fair.

Yeah much more fair than the last trade with the hated laffs....they got the last laff on us.

JVR for Luke Schenn and Luke Schenn for nothing. Way to manage assets..ugh.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Leafs probably say no

Probably....unless Sanheim got a taste of the NHL and played well.

This is the only type of deal I would do if I traded one of our top kids on D for a forward. I would not trade them + more for a Duchene whose contract could be an issue. Others that we could target would be Sam Reinhart or Bennett.

But the thing is, once the kids on D come in and if they play well, their value shoot up too. And at that point, would we move them?

mobizziness

Aug 9, 2015
Toronto
Probably....unless Sanheim got a taste of the NHL and played well.

The Leafs would literally respond with Provorov or they hang up the phone.

They have absolutely no incentive to trade an elite 20 year old already producing in the NHL, let alone for a downgrade prospect-wise in Sanheim; it's still a rebuild year for them remember, even if they are in playoff contention currently, absolutely not win-now whatsoever. Also Lamiorello is not Chiarelli, he doesn't really ever lose value in trades so he probably would just not make a trade at all if that dumb trade Edmonton made has set the market value currently for defenseman.

Just because they have Matthews and Marner who are both far more valuable than any player on Philadelphia not named Giroux doesn't mean their third best prospect, who is on pace to outproduce Eichel's rookie year, automatically loses value at all. Even though that seems to be the common idea on these boards.

it would be Provorov for Nylander + 2-4th pick or they just hang up and continue to enjoy having Nylander on their team with no regrets whatsoever.

Sanheim doesn't even get the ball rolling on Nylander.

Even if a defenseman is more valuable than a winger and Edmonton set the trade market incredibly low for this kind of trade it means absolutely nothing to the Leafs who will gladly just not trade Nylander and move on. HFBoards seems to be good (at times) in matching up the values of players but don't seem to often consider how incentive is what really sets the value a team is willing to accept back in a trade.

When it is all said and done people should really stop even proposing trades for Nylander because the Leafs are simply not going to move him outside of a massive overpayment.

Last edited:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
The difference is that Nylander is proven in the NHL whereas Sanheim hasn't even made it yet.

No way the Leafs even consider this trade. They have absolutely no incentive to make this trade so it's either Provorov for Nylander or they hang up and continue enjoying Nylander for the rest of the season with no qualms.

This is what annoys me the most on these forums, no one seems to consider the incentives of the team they are trading with.

The Leafs "need" defense but are still in a rebuilding year. They're not Edmonton, they also have Lamiorello not Chiarelli. They are just as happy not trading for a defenseman this year as they are trading for one, let alone giving up an elite 20 year old that is already producing in the NHL for a downgrade prospect wise for a defenseman in Sanheim.

Literally Provorov for Nylander + or they would just hang up.
great post.

mobizziness

Aug 9, 2015
Toronto
great post.

I edited the crap out of it after you quoted it because it read poorly but yeah this is why this trade is completely pointless to even talk about... The Leafs have no incentive to give up Nylander for anything short of Provorov (Gotisbehere is a LHD which they don't need) and it obviously makes no sense for Philadelphia to trade their brightest prospect who has just stepped up in the league and is performing.

No point in even talking about trading for Nylander.

mobizziness

Aug 9, 2015
Toronto
That's the first time in while I actually saw somebody imply or say Looney Lou is a good GM. :laugh:

Well when you're being compared to Chiarelli who in his time in Edmonton so far has turned a top 5 winger in the NHL into an okay top 4 defenseman with little upside and has traded Mat Barzal and Mitchell Stephens for a European league bound Griffin Reinhart it's not difficult to look like a great GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad