Podcast (Audio) New Rangers Podcast

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Hi All,

I cleared this thread with the mods before posting.

I am thinking about starting a Rangers-themed podcast to talk about the state of our current team.

I’m thinking about running weekly episodes and I wanted it to be informative with a some humor mixed in. I would definitely like to get guests involved and it may even just branch out to general NHL talk but I want it to be primarily rangers-based.

I’m currently seeking out a podcast co-anchor so if this is something that might interest you let me know and we can chat about it.

Also, I’m still located out in Arizona so I would probably be recording at night (anytime after 5:30) or on the weekends.

Thanks for your time!
Mike

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I did a podcast on rangers review for years and years..at least 6 I think, before I had kids. I can probably do it.. but I'll be honest.. I used to watch 2 to 3 games a night...but nowadays I can't commit to anything beyond watching the rangers.

So while I'm.interested you're probably gonna get more from others.

Hit me up if u have issues.

Reactions: egelband

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I actually "work" for a YouTube channel/Podcast that is 85% music 10% baseball stadium reviews 5% humor-Seth McFarlane style cultural references otherwise I'd be down to be involved but I'd love to guest lol.

My "advice" to you (feel free to ignore and consider this old man talking to himself even though I'm only in my 30s)

1. Have a business model-What do you want to get out of it? Is your aim for a career change down the road or to work for an NHL Team? Make it unique and have a brand, artwork, etc. Even a theme song is doable using GarageBand.

2. Get on all formats with RSS.

3. Social media accounts are a must to promote it.

4. Network with other hockey podcasters and have guests once in a blue moon. It will help build a following and get your name out. If you support them, they will support you. And it can be for other teams. It's not the 80s anymore where Islanders/Flyers fans are evil people and have bad morals. I have some good friends who root for those teams and others and we give each other crap but at the end of the day it's about health, family, happiness.

5. Try to cap the cultural references and obscure stuff. One problem in the channel I'm associated with (@EverybodyInThePool on IG and the same name is the YouTube channel) the hosts are really smart and make a lot of obscure musical references. Like one example is talking about Madonna as a drummer in her post-punk band The Breakfast Club for an episode that is about to drop. That's cool but if you go too far down that route you'll lose the casuals. Like talking about the Rangers career and Fenwick #s of Corey Potter obscure.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
I appreciate the feedback given. I actually was on my way to starting up another podcast that drew quite a good amount of interest before even recording my first episode.

I haven’t received much feedback on this but would still like to have a podcast started. I think with the HF community it can take off really quickly. I would just prefer to have a co-anchor rather than go it alone.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I make a living as a podcaster/producer. Haven't done anything in the sports space nor the more typical sports variety conversational podcasts. I work more highly produced storytelling. I have secretly always wanted to do a Rangers podcast as I already spend too much time thinking about them. But the thing that's always prevented me from thinking too deeply about it is I'm not sure what exactly I'd add that other Rangers podcasts aren't already adding. Curious to hear what your angle is. I listen to a bunch of the existing Ranger podcasts but the Breakaway guys are my go to as they keep getting better, not just their analysis but their interview skills and they come prepared. Whereas the other semi-professionalized ones tend to breath a little too much for me to consistently listen. The only thing I've noticed is that many of the podcasts have one guy who leans into analysis while the other steers. I wish there was a show with at least one expert and the guy who steers also has strong analytical skills. Mostly because I think it would lead to deeper conversations. I don't think any of them go deep enough about the game itself. It's all pretty broad and a little too heavy on trades, dramas, coaching changes. My dream would be to have a guy like Valiquette or a former scout who can drill down below the top layer of the game and also provide insight on how organizations really evaluate talent.

Anyway, happy to discuss or if you need any tech advice let me know. Good luck!

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Hi All,

I am thinking about starting a Rangers-themed podcast to talk about the state of our current team.

I’m thinking about running weekly episodes and I wanted it to be informative with a some humor mixed in. I would definitely like to get guests involved and it may even just branch out to general NHL talk but I want it to be primarily rangers-based.

I’m currently seeking out a podcast co-anchor so if this is something that might interest you let me know and we can chat about it.

Also, I’m still located out in Arizona so I would probably be recording at night (anytime after 5:30) or on the weekends.

Thanks for your time!
Mike
Mike, let’s talk. I’m here in AZ too.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Personally, i think sports podcasts are tough. They’re not frequent enough to be newsy and generally they’re not deep/knowledgeable enough to handle broader discussions. So we end up with a lot of old news and gossipy storytelling. I have no interest in those Spitting Chicklets or Barstool stuff.
I enjoy the one @Amazing Kreiderman does because he brings a lot of knowledge.
I also like 31 Thoughts as it’s legit insider stuff. Same with Bob MacKenzie’s but I guess that’s finished.
And i actually liked Blueshirt Underground. I know that’s not a popular take.
Breakaway is pretty good but it’s not a must-listen for me.
I like the idea of the Locked On series. Because it’s a daily podcast they actually can be a news source. But I don’t expect most podcasts are able to commit to that frequency.
End of the day, I get most of my Rangers news and analysis here. It’s probably the best format, for me, for following the team.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Personally, i think sports podcasts are tough. They’re not frequent enough to be newsy and generally they’re not deep/knowledgeable enough to handle broader discussions. So we end up with a lot of old news and gossipy storytelling. I have no interest in those Spitting Chicklets or Barstool stuff.
I also like 31 Thoughts as it’s legit insider stuff. Same with Bob MacKenzie’s but I guess that’s finished.
I like the idea of the Locked On series. Because it’s a daily podcast they actually can be a news source. But I don’t expect most podcasts are able to commit to that frequency.
End of the day, I get most of my Rangers news and analysis here. It’s probably the best format, for me, for following the team.

Thanks, I try to always go a bit more in depth on some CBA stuff, which I will admit is hit or miss with audiences. It's sort of a niche, but at least I don't spend half my episodes talking about the Mets :laugh:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The only thing I've noticed is that many of the podcasts have one guy who leans into analysis while the other steers. I wish there was a show with at least one expert and the guy who steers also has strong analytical skills. Mostly because I think it would lead to deeper conversations. I don't think any of them go deep enough about the game itself.

+1

I believe that’s true for all sports. Most every topic is superficial. On a National Scale Pat Kiwan’s “Moving the Chains” is probably the closest you will find while, and not so much with analytics, but Francesa is his earlier years could dig deeper.

Ironically, some of these SEC Podcasts are more analytical than any of those mentioned. And the hosts have actual personalities!!!

Hockey wise, tough to find.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Hi All,

Thanks for your time!
Mike

will check it out

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I'll give it a shot. I listen to many NYR podcasts.

Blueshirt Underground - The original as far as I'm concerned.
Blueshirts Breakaway - Love these guys. And when they have Carp on it's gold!
Forever Blueshirts Radio - A much better show in my opinion with Tony than the previous hosts.
Live From The Blue Seats
Under Review - Happy Greg and @Amazing Kreiderman are back.

Not a fan of any podcast that leans too much in advanced stats. I don't particularly want to have to look at charts (most of which I don't understand what I'm even looking at) when I listen.

BTW, the above regarding analytics is not an indictment on those who are into them. I've just never gotten in to them myself.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Appreciate all the feedback. I’m currently in the process of talking with someone about co-anchoring and getting this thing off the ground so hopefully I can share some info in the near future!

What I want to know is what does everyone want to see in a new podcast. What would set it apart that the others don’t do? What do you like/dislike about the other ones?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Thank you.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I have never listened to a single podcast in my life. True story.

I say that not to criticize the idea of them or anything. I am also very aware of how popular they are. It's just a concept that never resonated with me. I'm not into the entertainment or pop culture spaces, and for world news and sports and all that I'd rather just read stuff online. Hard to keep podcasts timely as far as news and all that. I don't like talk radio, either. Sports or news. I don't like cable news with the talking heads. I like to have the ability to choose exactly what I want to read, when I want to read it.

(Before anyone makes a joke about that approach re: politics, while my politics are very firmly to one side, I always make sure to read a wide swath of things to get a better perspective and not live in an echo chamber.)

Anyway, good luck to OP.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ditto re: listening to podcasts. I guess I should start. I spend most of my workdays mostly alone anyway so, really no reason not to.
Yeah, I've thought about it. Pre-Covid I rode a commuter train for 40 minutes and then hopped on the subway for 30 minutes. That would be the perfect time to listen, I guess. Instead I sleep on the commuter train and then do emails and shit for work on the subway.

Now I'm at home with my "coworkers," my wife, five year old, and sometimes my 14 year old. It's...something, I'll tell ya.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I never listened to podcasts until I did, but I took to them quickly. Very upset I started in the last month of McKenzie's Bobcast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad