New NHL Overtime Proposal?

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
Poster is 15
Poster is actually 21, but think about it:

Hockey is not all about team play, it takes individual efforts as well. Shootouts are great & I think that we all like them as well. Once you take them away, you'll now have a longer game which will tire out the players even more and the game may take longer than normal if you eliminate shootouts entirely. Why not add some excitement to the game with some slick dekes & moves? Instead of just shooting and deflections?

Make the NHL Playoffs Great Again!

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
1. Playoffs: Decrease the OT period to 10 minutes, then a shootout. IMO, I think that this is will make OT games end earlier rather than continuous OT in the playoffs.

2. Should the OT periods have 3 on 3, 4 on 4, or regular 5 on 5 hockey?

3. When you realize that an OT goal won't end the game (regular season or playoffs) only the period length will? We've all seen 2-3 goals scored in a minute, so why not? An increase from 5 to 10 minutes may help as well.
I hate all of this.

The only decent OT suggestion I've seen is extending the 5 mins to the end of a powerplay. Right now, there's no reason to not trip or hook a guy with 30 seconds left, because the ensuing powerplay will probably not have the time to score.

member 298589

Hockey is not all about team play, it takes individual efforts as well. Shootouts are great & I think that we all like them as well. Once you take them away, you'll now have a longer game which will tire out the players even more and the game may take longer than normal if you eliminate shootouts entirely. Why not add some excitement to the game with some slick dekes & moves? Instead of just shooting and deflections?

No, we all do NOT.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Automatic blue lines please. Remove the linesmen and insert a "video ref" in place of the 2nd referee.

Smiggie Balls

Sep 27, 2017

nice ninja bump :thumbu:

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I obviously wouldn't mind it, but just think about it:

The game is on Datsyuk's stick, and he beats the goalie on a pretty slick deke which clinches the cup for Detroit.

It would also be funny if Bettman actually considered this idea, but knowing him, he may or may not.

Ugh that absolutely sounds horrendous. Like not even worth watching. Playoffs are about the grind and depth of teams not individuals

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
I certainly don’t want to see the Cup won by a shootout!!! I’m ok with it in international tournaments but not for the Cup... there’s a reason why it’s called the hardest trophy to win in all sports and having some long grinding OT’s is part of the reason!!!

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
1. Playoffs: Decrease the OT period to 10 minutes, then a shootout. IMO, I think that this is will make OT games end earlier rather than continuous OT in the playoffs.

2. Should the OT periods have 3 on 3, 4 on 4, or regular 5 on 5 hockey?

3. When you realize that an OT goal won't end the game (regular season or playoffs) only the period length will? We've all seen 2-3 goals scored in a minute, so why not? An increase from 5 to 10 minutes may help as well.
Dont need this.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wow, if you dont like 3 vs 3 O.T. something is wrong. You must have missed that Detroit-Toronto game Sunday night. Dont get those with boring *** ties.
I watched it. I hate the gimmicks to create a result because people can't handle a tie when it is the most deserved result. Just because it's exciting and creates disjointed play to create a result, doesn't mean I have to think it creates a just and fair result.

Reactions: Damien Dahrk

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Better idea: Abolish overtime in the regular season and accept ties.

I honestly feel that this might be the best option.

I watched it. I hate the gimmicks to create a result because people can't handle a tie when it is the most deserved result. Just because it's exciting and creates disjointed play to create a result, doesn't mean I have to think it creates a just and fair result.

I agree with everything in this post except one thing. I actually think 3 on 3 is very entertaining. That being said, 3 on 3 doesn't truly determine the "winner". 3 on 3 is such a crapshoot, and luck plays way too much of a part in who gets the extra point.

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007

Delete your account and watch something else. Seriously.

- Sincerely,
Hockey fans

Reactions: cowboy82nd

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
You know, after looking back at my older content, I'm not sure why I even thought of this *stupid* idea, I must've been bored at the time and created a random thread, but I've always liked playoff hockey over the regular season, along with appreciating overtime whenever it happened, even though continuous overtime is what we all like to see rather than a shootout...

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
It takes a toll on their energy during the playoffs when they play almost a another half or full length game of OT in the playoffs, so why not decrease the length of these games by adding a shootout after only 1 OT period? I know that they're in shape and can handle the extra playing time, but I'm not sure why shootouts in the playoffs are a such bad idea, along with 3 v 3 or 4 v 4? If penalty shots work with soccer, then why not in hockey? On an extra note, players & goalies are already under a lot of pressure in any playoff setting, so adding shootouts shouldn't be a big deal?

That's just it. this is not soccer. THIS IS HOCKEY!!! Keep the OT in the playoffs the way it is and stop comparing soccer to hockey. Two different sports.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I obviously wouldn't mind it, but just think about it:

The game is on Datsyuk's stick, and he beats the goalie on a pretty slick deke which clinches the cup for Detroit.

It would also be funny if Bettman actually considered this idea, but knowing him, he may or may not.

Have Datsyuk do that during the game and I would have no problems with it.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
These are the worst things I’ve ever read on this forum. Playoff OT is the most exciting thing in sports.

Heck it’s the most exciting entertainment period.

Shame on you, OP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad