New Head Coach search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As long as it isnt McLellan pls
I would have accepted him as a compromise to not removing the interim tag on Travis Green and making him permanent head coach.

But now Green was hired by somebody else anyway. So I’m back to #NeverLoserTodd

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Interesting note in the latest 32 Thoughts - how many coaches have won a Cup with multiple franchises?

Dick Irvin - '32 LEafs, '44, '46 & '53 Canadiens
Tommy Gorman - '34 Blackhawks, '35 Maroons
Scotty Bowman - '73, '76-'79 Canadiens, '92 Penguins, '97-'98 Red Wings, '02 Red Wings

Lavoilette could be the 4th coach if the Rangers (boo, hiss) win this season as he won with Carolina in '06.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Interesting note in the latest 32 Thoughts - how many coaches have won a Cup with multiple franchises?

Scotty Bowman - '73, '76-'79 Canadiens, '92 Penguins, '97-'98 Red Wings, '02 Red Wings

Lavoilette could be the 4th coach if the Rangers (boo, hiss) win this season as he won with Carolina in '06.

I guess this goes to show that either 1. there's not many good coaches or 2. winning a championship isn't really just about the coach.

Not sure which it is lol, prob both are true? If Cooper ever got let go, maybe we can find out.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

For the poster who thinks Berube should be the #1 target…I highly doubt he is the next guy to make this rather short and distinguished list lol

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I guess this goes to show that either 1. there's not many good coaches or 2. winning a championship isn't really just about the coach.

Not sure which it is lol, prob both are true? If Cooper ever got let go, maybe we can find out.
Or it shows that winning a Cup is insanely hard and you need a little bit of everything. There is no one thing from coaching, to goaltending, to faceoffs. You need to assemble the best team you can, with the best coach you can to fit that team, sprinkle in a little luck and hope for the best.

Every box you can tick for the better, is just slightly increasing your odds. You can even figure out how to tick every single box and still lose.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

I believe our chances for success with the coach who won with the new club and was bad before and after that are higher than with coach who sctructured his team but was not successful in play-off because lack of good defensemen, good goalies and depth. It was only one coach in the last 50 years who won with two or more different teams, Berube should be the next one with us. I see it in the stars.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

No one thinks winning a championship is just about the coach.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Part of it is that teams understandably generally hold onto Cup winning coaches for quite some time after, with Trotz being an obvious exception.

Still, winning is tough and I think this just maybe reinforces that maybe we overvalue a Cup win under a coach's belt. Both Berube and Sullivan have interesting track records - coming in mid-season to win a Cup/Cups after previous less-than-stellar head coaching gigs where they each went 2 seasons - losing in the first round the first season and then missing the playoffs the 2nd season before having to wait a number of years before getting another head coaching gig. After the Cup wins, the two combined for 2 playoff wins across 10 seasons.

I'm leaning towards Keefe, though admittedly that's not based on a whole hell of a lot. I'll have to trust Fitz and the staff to find the right candidate for this team.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Plus timing and opportunity help…Lemaire probably could have won another Cup if he went the mercenary route after leaving the Devils but he went to an expansion team instead and was a cult hero there without any real chance to win, then returned with a past their prime Devils team. Lavi and Torts have gone the mercenary route and have knocked on the door multiple times. Trotz came close too but he was more toward the end of his coaching career after finally winning it.

Also two Cup winning coaches have been sociopaths and blacklisted, at least for now. Quenneville may have been able to do it with Florida if he wasn’t one of the said sociopaths.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Or it shows that winning a Cup is insanely hard and you need a little bit of everything. There is no one thing from coaching, to goaltending, to faceoffs. You need to assemble the best team you can, with the best coach you can to fit that team, sprinkle in a little luck and hope for the best.

Every box you can tick for the better, is just slightly increasing your odds. You can even figure out how to tick every single box and still lose.

Which was the second thing I wrote?

2. winning a championship isn't really just about the coach.

I am really curious how Cooper would do with another team because I do think most coaches in the NHL just aren't that good.

No one thinks winning a championship is just about the coach.

There's a certain poster who seems to think so in the last few pages

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Which was the second thing I wrote?

2. winning a championship isn't really just about the coach.

I am really curious how Cooper would do with another team because I do think most coaches in the NHL just aren't that good.

There's a certain poster who seems to think so in the last few pages
Cooper would be fine, would he win it likely will come down to what other opportunities he’d get when available but he’s clearly shown more than say, a guy like Dan Bylsma (there’s a reason he only got one opportunity with a perennial loser after his run) and should get another chance or three with a talented roster. There’s no reason he couldn’t at least have Laviolette’s post Carolina career.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
actually winning a cup has less to do with a coach than all the other parts. a lot of cup winners come down to who gets hot at the right time, especially the goalie. what i would attribute to a good coach is those whose teams make the playoffs consistently. that shows a lot about attitude, team structure, focus, etc etc.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

It’s not that common in any sport, if you win a Championship you tend to keep your job a lot longer. (And winning Championships is hard lol.)

NBA head coaches who won championships with more than one team: 3 (Alex Hannum, Pat Riley, Phil Jackson)

MLB managers who won World Series with more than one team: 3 (Sparky Anderson, Tony La Russa, Bruce Bochy)

NFL head coaches who won championships with more than one team: zero

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Just speculating but seems like they are waiting on Keefe tbh

All their other options have been interviewed a week ago
Fitz is probably waiting on some finalization to the Sullivan and Rod the Bod situations. When he knows they are definitely out of the equation then he can settle on Keefe or Woodcroft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad