New Head Coach search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
My idea of the pure disciplinarian is Gallant and Babcock. both those guys have no tolerance for giving young players minutes.
Of course you can have some overlap. Scotty Bowman was a disciplinarian but also was good at tactics. He also relied heavily on vets.

The advantage is they get players to push through the mid-season slog and keeps the players at the top of their game the whole way through.
Bowman might be the greatest coach in any sport, he won nine cups with three teams, hard to match.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gallant sucks

But not as much as Travis Green

The only guys worse than Green are maybe Ralph Krueger, Doug Weight and Johnny MacLean.

Maybe Adam Oates too.

I’d rather bring back Ruff than Green. We can still bring him back. He’s under contract for at least not year.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Gallant sucks

But not as much as Travis Green

The only guys worse than Green are maybe Ralph Krueger, Doug Weight and Johnny MacLean.

Maybe Adam Oates too.

I’d rather bring back Ruff than Green. We can still bring him back. He’s under contract for at least not year.

Green is so awful. Despite how bad Lindy was, we were actually pretty good when playing with a lead. We just had trouble leading.

Our play with Green when winning is some of the most pathetic gutless stuff I have ever seen.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Another hat to throw in the ring - Rikard Gronborg.

We apparently had interest in him in the past, I know little of him but he's held in high regard in the hockey world.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Green is so awful. Despite how bad Lindy was, we were actually pretty good when playing with a lead. We just had trouble leading.

Our play with Green when winning is some of the most pathetic gutless stuff I have ever seen.
It did appear Lindy lost the team at the end and some of those last few games were pathetic. Mainly the Tampa game and LA one.

But I think if we kept Lindy and got these two goalies we’d probably have 2-3 more wins right now. Probably still falling short of the playoffs, but not looking as pathetic as we’ve looked.

Conversely, if we never acquired these goalies and Green had to suffer through the Vitek/Schmid/Daws triad that Lindy had to suffer through, I’m pretty sure we’d have 2-3 fewer wins since Green took over.

We’d probably be 3-11-0 or 4-10-0 instead of 6-8-0. Maybe an OT point in there for our trouble.

This is some of the most bullshit hockey we’ve seen since MacLean.

I’d rather Geoff Ward or somebody like that be our head coach right now. Green is an utter failure at this level.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Sullivan isn't happening with Pittsburgh actually making a run after the Guentzel trade too which completely blows but whatever.

How about Jay Pandolfo? Played for Lemaire and Robinson so there's that and is doing a banged up job at Boston University leading them to the final four.

Would love this, him and Leach would be the best candidates imo besides someone like Woodcroft. Absolute f*** no to any retread like Bruce, Berube or Gallant

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I like ideas of Pandolfo, Leach and Grinborg. I would try to join them to the coaching stuff and would sign The Mighty Bruce for one year. Overall I don't know, need to watch much more than I saw.

Reactions: My3Sons and Mgd31

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Watch us get Todd McLellan.
IMG_5653.jpeg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Brind’Amour bitched about the salary of his current deal so he isn’t content with any old offer.

The Canes are playing with fire by leaving him a lame duck this long, but if they’re willing to pay him something closer to market value he’ll presumably stay.
Just to add some context, it was his first deal he commented about his low salary. In his last extension, it was more that he wanted to make sure his staff was taken care of:

But Brind'Amour said the delay in re-signing with the Hurricanes was because he wanted to ensure his coaching and support staff would all return with him. Plus, he felt he could have the most success by staying in Raleigh rather than leaving for another team.

"There's always temptation to listen to the outside noise. But I have a hard time thinking I could do the same job I do here somewhere else. This place is a part of me. I've been here forever. Again, it's about the people I get to come to work with every day. That's not going to be the case in other places," he said.

Brind'Amour cited his relationship with Waddell and owner Tom Dundon as another reason he decided to re-sign, saying he has a lot of input into player personnel decisions that he might not have elsewhere.

"Finances and money are a part of it. But I feel like I'm the richest person because I have a relationship with my owner and GM that I don't think many other coaches have," he said.

Reportedly, he's doing the same thing now.

"Elliotte Friedman discussed on Saturday Headlines that Hurricanes Head Coach Rod Brind’Amour is optimistic on a contract extension after the season but wants to see his assistants taken care of first."

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Jay Leach coaches the defense in Seattle right? They have some of the lowest xGA's in the league the last 2 years, so there's that. Maybe he could be an option as a good tactics coach?

Reactions: Guadana

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Really my only concern is I’d like a guy flexible enough to match his system to the team rather than try and shoehorn the team into one that doesn’t fit.

I think everything else flows out from putting the team in a place to succeed tactically.

Reactions: DrBSmooth

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
As much as I love the idea of Pando, I can’t see him leaving the BU gig personally. Massachusetts born, BU guy getting to coach his Alma mater? Probably his ideal job.

Jay Leach is a really interesting one from all that I’ve read recently. I’m warming up to that idea.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
We need to bribe Rod the Bod out of Carolina
Carolina has a true cheap owner. Let's get Rod and Jacob Slavin out of there and over to here!:naughty:

How about Jay Pandolfo? Played for Lemaire and Robinson so there's that and is doing a banged up job at Boston University leading them to the final four.
Pando and Madden reunited! Their both good coaches. We can dream right?

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
As much as I love the idea of Pando, I can’t see him leaving the BU gig personally. Massachusetts born, BU guy getting to coach his Alma mater? Probably his ideal job.

Jay Leach is a really interesting one from all that I’ve read recently. I’m warming up to that idea.
Money talks. Pandolfo was a pro player, but his career earnings are in the $13M range. Good, for sure, but not "money is no object" territory.

Prior to college he was an assistant coach with the Bruins, probably making like 300k. Then he went back to college, presumably for a pay raise, but a college hockey coach would be VERY lucky to make 1M a year, probably more likely to be in the 400k-700k range for a first time head coach, judging from publicly available salaries at other institutions. Even the lowest paid NHL coaches make 1.5M+ and the top end guys are worth $4M+.

And that's ignoring the obvious appeal of coaching at the highest level in the world. Lot of guys, especially ex-pro players, have a drive to be the best, to compete against the best.

I can't know what's in his heart, and maybe he will happily coach BU for 30 years, but I wouldn't be surprised if he left eventually. Leaving this year, though? That does seem a little less likely to me.

Last edited:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I think it's time to get the discussion started on this, Fitz has had a horrible year, a lot of it on bad luck but he still has blame to share especially in not upgrading our goalies and in getting away from what worked last year, but I still have faith in him in knowing Green is not the answer for next year.

Basically we need a no-nonsense coach who can strike the fear of God into this team. The talent is mostly there, but something big is missing.
Sullivan please.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

I’m not sure Pando has the fire we need.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Brind'Amour is definitely a pipe dream in my eyes. I can't see him leaving that organization unless he truly feels jaded by something. He seems to be too loyal of a guy.
Brindy AND Sullivan are pipe dreams at this point, we’ll be debating Berube, Evason and whatever personal friend Fitz actually decides to hire all next season.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
For me, I don’t need the new Devils coach to be a hard disciplinarian.

What I want foremost, is a coach that will put the players in positions to succeed. The Devils are constantly put in no win situations when they have the puck and that breeds panic and attempts at hero plays.

A good team philosophy helps keeps players calm and gives them confidence that making a simple play to a teammate will be available, effective, and build to a successful play. The Devils currently don’t believe any of that can come without them doing something special.

You watch most other teams and they know what they want to do with the puck in most situation. Whether they succeed or not then comes down to ability. The Devils spend most of their time with the puck trying to decide which bad option they should attempt and, after wasting time thinking, the options only get worse.

So I’m fine if the new coach doesn’t crack the whip as long as he can formulate a full rink structure for the team and be someone the team all buys into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad