GDT: NCAA Hoops thread

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Here's a basketball schedule format I came up with for the ACC.

The 18 teams would be divided into pods as follows:

Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech
California, Louisville, Notre Dame, SMU, Stanford
Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami
Duke, North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest

Teams in the five-team pods always play each other twice a year, plus the 13 other schools once for 21 conference games.

Teams in the four-team pods will play at least twice a year, with Clemson-Georgia Tech and Florida State-Miami always playing thrice a year, and the Tobacco Road pod will rotate which match-ups get a third playing each year. Teams in these pods would play the other 14 ACC schools once a year to make up their 21-game conference schedule.
As I am proposing the ACC's 21 conference games each year would be second-most in Division I, behind only the Big Ten with 22 (which is accomplished by giving each school 5 opponents they play twice every year, and playing everyone else once, 6 home, 6 road, alternating locations every year).

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I mean let's be real, it's not any shadier than boosters paying them under the table since we knew that whatever plausible deniability there was at the time was complete bullshit. All the coaches knew, they just also knew to pretend it wasn't happening.

Yeah, I agree. I am curious how this will ripple through college athletics, though. With Title IX and other factors, I could see issues with trying to pay revenue sports athletes more being and what that will do to college budgets and other sports. If they all have to be paid the same, and equal access to men and women's sports, then I can see a bunch of schools dropping a bunch sports. And the ACC will have a VERY hard time competing with the bigger revenue conferences. This could accelerate an already fast moving realignment process.

Reactions: LakeLivin and DaveG

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Yeah, I agree. I am curious how this will ripple through college athletics, though. With Title IX and other factors, I could see issues with trying to pay revenue sports athletes more being and what that will do to college budgets and other sports. If they all have to be paid the same, and equal access to men and women's sports, then I can see a bunch of schools dropping a bunch sports. And the ACC will have a VERY hard time competing with the bigger revenue conferences. This could accelerate an already fast moving realignment process.

I'm also wondering how it changes the role of a coach, specifically how big an increase in the "GM" component of the job. No matter how big the $ involved, funds most places won't be unlimited and will need to be managed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad