Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I'd send Saros, Tomasino, and Fabbro. Think that hits on a couple needs, and a bonus player that would thrive in your system with Tomasino.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'd send Saros, Tomasino, and Fabbro. Think that hits on a couple needs, and a bonus player that would thrive in your system with Tomasino.
Agreed. I'm not sure it SHOULD take that much, but that's the assets I'd be offering it around. No 1sts or conditional 1sts. Maybe a couple other prospects I'd consider swapping in or out, but you have options here for a Vezina-caliber goaltender, a top 4 d-man, and a young player that has played at .5 PPG despite being jerked around the lineup and most recently played with 4th liners.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hope I'm not intruding too much, but I find talking to fans of other teams directly can be a lot more rewarding than the chaos of the main board.

It's in no way credible, but there's been some non-trolly reasonable "offers" from fans of a couple of other teams rumoured to be interested- all of which were contingent on him coming with an extension.

Seattle 1: Bjorkstrand+2025 1st + 2024 NYR 2nd + Nyman/Goyette/Sale
Seattle 2: Bjorkstrand + Oleksiak + 2024 40th ovr + Nyman + Goyette
Pittsburgh : Smith + 2025 1st (protected) + Pickering + Ilyin

Using those as a barometer (Seattle offers are a push, Pittsburgh trails) what do you think would be a Nashville offer to get in the running, one to beat the field, and would you be willing to do either?

I could give up "stuff we don't really need", for example Tomasino/Glass/Novak/Fabbro/Lauzon, one of our 2nds in 2024, our 1st 2024 - or if it's a 2025 1st it would need to be protected because they could both be lottery picks.

Tomasino/Glass/Novak (your choice) + Fabbro/Lauzon (your choice except the Preds won't really offer Lauzon so it's Fabbro, even though Fabbro is loads better) + 1st 2024 + 2nd 2024... I'd be ok with that...

I guess it's up to you if you think any of that comes close to the Seattle/Pittsburgh offers, who knows. :dunno:

I wouldn't give up Saros.

Reactions: 4thline

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The elephant in the room is, Are you willing to sign up for Saros as your goalie for 7-or-8 years? Is he good enough and are we good enough to devote top long-term dollars to the goalie position next year?
He's good enough, and the goalie position is important enough... but it just depends on the term/dollars/clauses. I'd take Saros for 7 more years. Given we already have him for 1 more already. Hoping that he becomes the "veteran backup/mentor" by Year 4. As long as the term/dollars/clauses part of it is acceptable.

I think a 6x$6.5M extension with no NMC and a token NTC would be totally fine. Then we're protected if Askarov busts, but have an easy out with a marketable #1 goalie if Askarov steals the crease. Or a solid duo if they are both just "decent" and Expansion doesn't happen.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I could give up "stuff we don't really need", for example Tomasino/Glass/Novak/Fabbro/Lauzon, one of our 2nds in 2024, our 1st 2024 - or if it's a 2025 1st it would need to be protected because they could both be lottery picks.

Tomasino/Glass/Novak (your choice) + Fabbro/Lauzon (your choice except the Preds won't really offer Lauzon so it's Fabbro, even though Fabbro is loads better) + 1st 2024 + 2nd 2024... I'd be ok with that...

I guess it's up to you if you think any of that comes close to the Seattle/Pittsburgh offers, who knows. :dunno:

I wouldn't give up Saros.
If you wouldn't give up Saros, would you make Askarov available to Tornto if they were interested?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Who are you more comfortable giving a long term contract to? Saros for an 8 x 8 or Marner at 8 x 11?
No f***ing was does Saros get 8x8. No way for a guy who has never won shit. Peks got 7x7 back when he did only because we were sending a message to Weber/Suter. Luckily he proved to be worth it. The only reason to sign Saros to that ugly number is to potentially foil an expansion draft where we could leave him exposed and know he won't be taken

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

If you wouldn't give up Saros, would you make Askarov available to Tornto if they were interested?

They supposedly want someone proven at the NHL level because they are concerned with Wolls injury history. Askarov doesn't fit the bill but I would possibly consider it if they sent woll back to us in the process

Also with marner, Evangelista already at the nhl level we would really have a surplus of RW prospects unless we traded one out. So sending tomasino wouldnt be the end of the world. Fabbro doesnt seem to have a place here long term either. Still would leave kemell, fink, and Wood at RW amoungst some others for prospects.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It certainly wouldn't be part of my opening bids or early negotiating options. I would make every attempt to not include Askarov. I don't think the Leafs should even WANT Askarov anyway, though - he's just too much of a wildcard and they need a goalie NOW - not a "maybe" for 2 or 3 years from now. They have their own prospect/young wildcard goalies.

If negotiations dragged out, and if Marner really strongly wanted to come here and was willing to take my 8x$9.058M extension, and if for some reason (IMO dumb reason) Toronto really wanted Askarov included... I could eventually cave. But then Askarov would be the prime asset in the deal. So it's be like Askarov + Tomasino + Fabbro with no picks. I don't see why Toronto would do that? I don't think all those conditionals would line up. So it's kind of moot. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
No f***ing was does Saros get 8x8. No way for a guy who has never won shit. Peks got 7x7 back when he did only because we were sending a message to Weber/Suter. Luckily he proved to be worth it. The only reason to sign Saros to that ugly number is to potentially foil an expansion draft where we could leave him exposed and know he won't be taken
6x$6.5M with a limited NTC is fine for Saros. I don't think we have to worry about him getting more than that. I believe fans here will be surprised by how "team-friendly" his extension looks.

Reactions: PredsV82

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
They supposedly want someone proven at the NHL level because they are concerned with Wolls injury history. Askarov doesn't fit the bill but I would possibly consider it if they sent woll back to us in the process

Also with marner, Evangelista already at the nhl level we would really have a surplus of RW prospects unless we traded one out. So sending tomasino wouldnt be the end of the world. Fabbro doesnt seem to have a place here long term either. Still would leave kemell, fink, and Wood at RW amoungst some others for prospects.
Like Porter said regarding "the don't really need stuff", it sucks losing Tomasino and Fabbro because I see the potential, but we really aren't and haven't been using them, so it's a low impact loss. I fully expect Fabbro to be a much better player if he moves into another role. Tomasino I am unsure about, but think he would certainly provide points.

6x$6.5M with a limited NTC is fine for Saros. I don't think we have to worry about him getting more than that. I believe fans here will be surprised by how "team-friendly" his extension looks.
I really hope you are right, because that deal will be a steal in a few years when the cap continues to rise. That's almost a continuation for his current deal if you look at % of the cap and what it is projected to increase.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Like Porter said regarding "the don't really need stuff", it sucks losing Tomasino and Fabbro because I see the potential, but we really aren't and haven't been using them, so it's a low impact loss. I fully expect Fabbro to be a much better player if he moves into another role. Tomasino I am unsure about, but think he would certainly provide points.
It's a weird scenario because you frequently see trade offers using players that fans don't like or think are extraneous pieces. In this case, we see these guys don't seem to be in the Preds plans but they truly are not scrubs--they just don't fit the build for whatever reason.

Reactions: Armourboy

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

I don't hate it. Novak gives a cheapish option down the middle for the majority of the rest of our Matthews window, Fabbro I see as a coin flip to be the next guy to emerge as a no doubt top 4 in his mid 20's, and his game could work with either of Rielly or McCabe, the futures are futures. I'd prefer the 2024 pick, but I could see July 1 bonus payments / 3rd party retention coming into play making them unavailable. I could see the 2025 1st being conditional, Leafs get the better of the two unless it's top 10, then they get the lesser. Any 2024 2nd equivalent prospects that are a little closer to NHL minutes?

Firmly above Pittsburgh in my opinion, but a slight step behind Seattle

Thanks for playing along, cheers

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't hate it. Novak gives a cheapish option down the middle for the majority of the rest of our Matthews window, Fabbro I see as a coin flip to be the next guy to emerge as a no doubt top 4 in his mid 20's, and his game could work with either of Rielly or McCabe, the futures are futures. I'd prefer the 2024 pick, but I could see July 1 bonus payments / 3rd party retention coming into play making them unavailable. I could see the 2025 1st being conditional, Leafs get the better of the two unless it's top 10, then they get the lesser. Any 2024 2nd equivalent prospects that are a little closer to NHL minutes?

Firmly above Pittsburgh in my opinion, but a slight step behind Seattle

Thanks for playing along, cheers
I think Tomasino should pan out better than Novak, and that Fabbro is a really good player... but... they are all in the "soft-ish" category of player. Skilled enough that both forwards can be top-6 complementary options, and Fabbro has been a great partner for Josi even though he's not flashy enough for Josi to like him, but... they need a certain kind of coach/system in order to flourish.

That coach/system does not currently exist in Nashville, which is why we here list them as "expendable". But it's also a coach/system which doesn't seem especially common elsewhere in the NHL either, nor particularly aligned with the current playoff trends for heavy/nasty players in support roles. So YMMV on those guys. I'm not sure a contending team like the Leafs, which thus far might have had specific issues in those areas, is really going to be the best place to get the most out of those players? They're good/skilled. But they might almost need to go to more of a building/non-contender type of team to improve their odds of breaking out? :dunno:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We also should not trade Askarov until Saros future is settled otherwise we have zero leverage on Saros
Since you can extend Saros in the summer, can get a beat on what he's looking for in the next few weeks.

Nash got a nice haul from TB for Jeannot, so can part with some of that return. Have almost $12 mill in dead money in 24/25 so probably do need to send a larger cap hit out as well to balance it out for Marner. The $19 mill in cap room dries up fast with Marner's 8 figure cap charge.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I wouldnt give saros an 8 year contract unless his cap didn't rise from what it is now. Small goaltender locked in till age 38? No thanks. The moment his movement slows down, he is gonna have a hard time maintaining good stats.
That's my fear with Saros long term. With him being small he relies on his agility rather than length to make saves. Once he loses it he won't even be a backup level player imo.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
People thinking Saros would sign for anything less than an 8 year deal is hilarious. It's even more hilarious that you think he'd sign for under $7m/season.

He's been arguably one of the top 5 goalies in the league the last 3 years and he'll get paid accordingly.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Playing armchair GM, I’d send Saros, Tomasino and Fabbro for Marner. If they want a pick then Saros, Tomasino and maybe one of Tampa’s early round picks. If Toronto doesn’t take that just walk away. No need to get into a bidding war and over pay for a player that’s going to be over 30 when the team actually gets to a place it will be Stanley Cup contenders.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Playing armchair GM, I’d send Saros, Tomasino and Fabbro for Marner. If they want a pick then Saros, Tomasino and maybe one of Tampa’s early round picks. If Toronto doesn’t take that just walk away. No need to get into a bidding war and over pay for a player that’s going to be over 30 when the team actually gets to a place it will be Stanley Cup contenders.
Tend to agree, I'd toss in a 2nd but I'm not getting crazy with picks. All 3 of those players fits a need for them, heck Tomasino you might could even toss in Marners spot with Mathews and might not even lose that much production wise.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Tend to agree, I'd toss in a 2nd but I'm not getting crazy with picks. All 3 of those players fits a need for them, heck Tomasino you might could even toss in Marners spot with Mathews and might not even lose that much production wise.
Yeah, the only 1st I would even consider--and depends on the package/trade overall--would be this year's. Team could well slip into a top 10 pick next year or after depending on injuries, regressions, etc... maybe not likely, but not worth taking the chance.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
That's my fear with Saros long term. With him being small he relies on his agility rather than length to make saves. Once he loses it he won't even be a backup level player imo.
I sort of agree but Halak who I think is a pretty comparable style to Saros (although Saros has been better to this point of his career) lasted into his late 30s as a decent backup.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I sort of agree but Halak who I think is a pretty comparable style to Saros (although Saros has been better to this point of his career) lasted into his late 30s as a decent backup.
Just because one guy did it doesn't mean another guy will. I can't remember exactly but I feel like Halak also didn't have the work load Saros has had in his career either.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
If they give Saros a contract that’s 8 years in length, pretty sure they’ll regret it in 4-5 years unless the cap goes up drastically in that time period.

Trotz has stated on multiple occasions that he’s not looking to give out those long term deals. I’m hoping he sticks to his guns on this one.

Reactions: hockey diva

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad