Mystery of Todd Reirden

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
So, in the first place, guy comes here with not an ideal of a reputation. And this team is nothing but failure since he came here, yet he still has a job. I know it might not be easy to fire Sullivan because his new contract is not even active (thanks Hextall, you idiot!). But to fire this clown? They talk about terrible powerplay, even admit that, but do nothing. I mean Dubas built a terrible bottom6 and also brought Graves and Smith and did nothing with coaching staff. What´s even worse is that all season, he did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to spark a struggling team !! Except of claiming random clowns from waivers. Firing Reirden should have been an easy spark, at least. I can´t stand Reirden´s face. What´s even his role with this team? Supposed to be the powerplay, right? It´s shocking that Dubas did nothing progressive and that Reirden still has a job. IMO, we should keep him for the rest of the season to tank properly, but I hope he is fired the second that season is over. Just like Hextall was.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So, in the first place, guy comes here with not an ideal of a reputation. And this team is nothing but failure since he came here, yet he still has a job. I know it might not be easy to fire Sullivan because his new contract is not even active (thanks Hextall, you idiot!). But to fire this clown? They talk about terrible powerplay, even admit that, but do nothing. I mean Dubas built a terrible bottom6 and also brought Graves and Smith and did nothing with coaching staff. What´s even worse is that all season, he did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to spark a struggling team !! Except of claiming random clowns from waivers. Firing Reirden should have been an easy spark, at least. I can´t stand Reirden´s face. What´s even his role with this team? Supposed to be the powerplay, right? It´s shocking that Dubas did nothing progressive and that Reirden still has a job. IMO, we should keep him for the rest of the season to tank properly, but I hope he is fired the second that season is over. Just like Hextall was.
He works with the team’s D men also and a lot of them credit him with helping their game, although you wouldn’t know it from the games lol..a lot of people like and respect him in the organization FWIW…he should be fired too but it won’t matter if Sullivan is still here

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
He works with the team’s D men also and a lot of them credit him with helping their game, although you wouldn’t know it from the games lol..a lot of people like and respect him in the organization FWIW…he should be fired too but it won’t matter if Sullivan is still here
When was the last time that he helped a defenseman like that? Niskanen? Oleksiak? Was he already here and is he credited for it? Because after that, I can´t remember another one. He surely isn´t doing a great job with Karlsson now. Also not ideal with POJ or Graves, if it´s really his job.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
When was the last time that he helped a defenseman like that? Niskanen? Oleksiak? Was he already here and is he credited for it? Because after that, I can´t remember another one. He surely isn´t doing a great job with Karlsson now. Also not ideal with POJ or Graves, if it´s really his job.
Well Pettersson credits him with improving his game…

Reactions: Jacob

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Well Pettersson credits him with improving his game…
OK, so one player plays well, and the other 5 are disappointments. I mean, I could´ve done that too, most likely. Blind monkey probably too. If nothing else, this guy should´ve been a sacrificial lamb long ago. But to fire this clown is obviously not enough now. It´s very obvious that there are some problems in room too. Motivation, atmosphere etc. Sullivan is extremely stale and boring now, but if these guys are losing a room too that HAS TO BE ENOUGH, right?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Blame Rutherford.

Reirden had been out as head coach of the Washington Capitals for half an hour when Jim Rutherford called him.
“I felt kind of bad when I called him that quickly,” Rutherford said. “I mean, I know what an emotional day that is for coaches, and you’d ideally give them some time. But I just wanted to make sure that he knew we were interested. We’ve talked pretty much every day since then. It was just important that he hear from me right away because that’s just how highly we think of him.”

Rutherford said at the time that he valued Reirden's work with defensemen and the power play, and he claimed that the stars liked the way Reirden ran the power play. Letang also spoke highly of him.

Clearly the reunion hasn't been a match.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Blame Rutherford.

Rutherford said at the time that he valued Reirden's work with defensemen and the power play, and he claimed that the stars liked the way Reirden ran the power play. Letang also spoke highly of him.

Clearly the reunion hasn't been a match.
Those are not irrational reasons for bringing him in. What's irrational is keeping him, at least in the position of managing the PP, after multiple years of failure.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
They can't fire Todd. There's nothing that could replace this.

todd.jpeg

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Probably the worst thing the Pens have going rn out of many

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe we just need a designated PP coach, like mostly for the big club but also for the entire organization. Baby Pens are quite dysfunctional too and are amongst the AHL worst in shorthanded goals against last I checked.

Gonna suggest a guy like Joe Mullen who seemed to do well with the Flyers PP. They had a net-front and shoot-first mentality, and lots just taking the puck hard to the net from the goal line.

There’s a lot wrong but to me the biggest issue is those entries.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
It'd be great to get a Robitaille/Graves/Andreychuk/Holmstrom/Hornqvist type guy to be an advisor for the PP. Yes, I know some of those (Robitaille especially) aren't realistic. But a guy like that. Instead of thinking the PP from the perimeter and in, think net front and out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad