Tribute Music Thread

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I prefer listening to podcasts at work, but when I'm busy I can't really pay attention, so I switch over to music. I'm the type of guy that basically listens to an album nonstop for a few weeks and then I pick up something else entirely at random to do the same with.

For whatever reason, been on a Muse kick as of late, specifically their 2006 Black Holes and Revelations album.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com

Obsessed with the tone here over the chorus… almost hypnotic but cutting?

New album drops in a day on the 16th

Two other singles definitely worth checking out for the guitar work and singing/lyrics is great too. f***ing love Joshua Homme

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015

I am learning this song currently. It is fun and mostly fairly easy to play. Fun fact is his backing band played with Ted Nugent on an album too. They were prolific studio musicians too.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
My musical appetite spans many genres - depending on my mood and many other factors will find me listening to lots of very diverse music. I don't even have to know the language to enjoy the music as I like music from all over the world. If it's got a vibe/groove - I can dig it man. :laugh:

For all you old heads out there (like me) - I'm sure you remember Dion (Dimucci from Dion and the Belmonts making hit songs back in the late 50's and early 60's). Well, Dion is now in his 80's and still making songs. He put out an album Stomping Ground a couple years ago where he collaborates with various other artists. Many good songs on the album. My favorite is "I've Been Watching" which has Rickie Lee Jones singing with him.

Reactions: Malaka

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
After seeing the Metallica show a couple weeks ago, I have a short review:

1. Enough of the circular stages. It doesn’t make everyone happy. Ice thought but enough.
2. I get the 2 different set lists but 12 songs/night ain’t much.
3. I felt Pantera was the better band that night. But James ended up with Covid afterwards.

Overall a fun night but most likely my last Metallica show. I am getting too old for standing on the rail. And in general, seeing shows of bands I saw in their prime that are now over the hill with the prices they are charging for over the hill….juice isn’t worth the squeeze. Except for Tool. I will always see them when they come around.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well...if it is just me,I for one do not think QurenLaifah's "internet sensTion" version of the Star Spangled Banner was that impressive or stirring....let's be kind and sY she was not terrible even if her version was slow and "affected" ...but put it this way she ain't no Cornielson...and this opinionion cones from Canadiancitizen...so I think I am very objective ....eitger the internet does not know about the epitome of U.S. national athem singers or it's taste is as we arexwon't to sY is in it's Tucchus.

You want to be stirred and inspired by a national anthem...not put yo sleep by a slide down shower and affected....lol I can cry a tune
..version.

In this case the I Teresa et tgat went gaga for Latifah was way way off ..She can sing but it was not inspiring.
.more like a lullaby you croon to a boy who has no idea what the words should stimulate.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
As I’ve gotten older I’ve grown to care less and less about music

As I have gotten older my music has changed into enjoying more 60's/70's/80's/early 90's stuff of all genre's

When I was a kid this is type of stuff that would be playing in radio on road trips, etc but I would throw on my headphones and listen to Korn, Papa Roach, etc instead

Now I find Korn/Papa Roach/etc stuff unlistenable. Even 90's rock the gap seems o big from early 90's/mid 90's into late 90's. I can enjoy Oasis, Gin Blossoms, Pearl Jam, etc still but for the life of me can't listen to most of the later 90's/Early 00's stuff I actually listened to in high school

Also, my tastes have changed dramatically that stuff like this

Is regularly what I listen too now.

Teenage me would be shocked if adult me told me how my tastes would change. And Adult me would be embarrassed to see young me in JNCO jeans!!!!

Seriously looking back to pictures of me as teen and all I can think is

giphy.gif

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Still great to listen to those Nu Metal stuff from back then. Still some good "newer" music out of that style. Not the music I'd listen to on a longer trip with others, that's something I agree with.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I've more or less just been listening to the Tears of the Kingdom soundtrack at work.

People saying that it and BotW don't have great music are crazy.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
It's funny, in a wonderfully awesome kind of way, how music affects me (us) in different ways and at different times. It can be both cause and result, a complement to my mood or an impetus, rousing or reflective. And very very personal - one man's treasure and another man's trash.

My mood was nostalgic last night and it led me to an artist I hadn't listened to in quite some time. I didn't seek her out - more like something in my memory brought her to the surface. Don't know how or why that works that way and don't need to - just relax and go with the flow.

Loreena McKennitt has a niche not everyone will appreciate and even those who do (like me) would not want her all the time - but she has a place that she uniquely fills and on certain occasions she strikes the right chord.

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Not the most qualified to speak on music comps and I’ve maybe lost my mind a bit but I hear a lot of George Harrison in Elliot Smith’s guitar playing. Someone tell me if I’m a loon or not

Either way, really can’t get over Elliot Smith’s work. Every time I listen I just think about what an unbelievable shame it is he passed.

Last edited:

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Reviving this dead thread after bombing it with Elliott Smith(sorry boys).

New BMTH album. Very experimental but I’m gushing over it the past few days.

What a band and what a run — from suicide season to this is quite the journey

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubba88

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
I really like Lost. This brought them back for me
That one too. Many songs on this album have blended in the synth drums with the kits so well I cannot fathom how amazing and massive they will sound live. Would probably sell a kidney to see them in Tokyo

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Saw the Uriah Heep / Saxon show last week and both bands are still phenomenal. Mick Box is in his 70s and still going strong. Same for Biff from Saxon. Got me pumped up and bought tix to the Accept/ KK Downing show.

I know all these bands are lacking original members but both Heep and Saxon had their top guy and the current Uriah Heep singer is incredible

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
This thread needs a dash of scream with a pinch of bass.

Been on a Dayshell kick the past year. Shayley Bourget has been a good way for me to scratch that Chester Bennington itch.

And for all you Dr Disrespect fans/haters - this one's catchy.

Crow

May 19, 2014
As I’ve gotten older I’ve grown to care less and less about music
Me too but I think it’s mostly because I don’t work out or run very much anymore, not because I changed much.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Saw the Uriah Heep / Saxon show last week and both bands are still phenomenal. Mick Box is in his 70s and still going strong. Same for Biff from Saxon. Got me pumped up and bought tix to the Accept/ KK Downing show.

I know all these bands are lacking original members but both Heep and Saxon had their top guy and the current Uriah Heep singer is incredible
Just picking nits, but imo, a case can be made that Ken Hensley was the main guy in Heep during their best years. He wrote more of their stuff from the third album on, than anyone else did. Box has been around for the whole run, but Hensley was more dominant during his years there.

Reactions: Behn Wilson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad