Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Posted in the new thread I’m done defending the guy. That media avail turned me right off him as a player. Everyone who said he’s toxic was right. Good player but his mentality is detrimental for our locker room
New thread you're referring to,

Jun 27, 2005
Mcdavid is a superstar. MacKinnon is a superstar. Mitch Marner is anything but. He sucks and a novel wrote by a delusional blind fanboy like you won't change it.

Can't wait until the team get rid of him so the rest of us can truly enjoy hockey once again.
I was gonna stay away for a week or so but Gary called me out so blame him but if it improves your mental health to vent at a complete stranger on the Internet then I will gladly take the heat. I have a 2:30 pm tee time so you gotta make it quick.

To quote Robin Williams:

It's not Marners fault.
It's not Marners fault.
It's not Marners fault.

and

It's not your fault either.

I truly wish most of you haters a healthy mental health recovery from what appears to be another pretty traumatic series.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Trade deadline trades are usually made by Cup contenders bolstering up for a run in the playoffs? We want to get rid of Marner because he sucks in the playoffs. You think other teams don't know that?

His trade deadline value is no more or no less than that at any other time.
Yes, other teams have seen him play in the playoffs. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't be interested in taking a chance on him putting them over the top. Secondly, a lot of us believe that the problem isn't inherently with Marner but with the exact mix that we have. Both the player and the team could benefit equally from a change in scenery the next time they see playoff action.

Reactions: Jojalu

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
"You're a hater" seems to be the default final 'argument' of posters who don't have a valid viewpoint or are unable to support it.

One way or the other, it looks like an admission of defeat.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
The GM has to give Marner an opposite winger that can mask his deficiencies. Marner isn't changing. So if they don't trade him, get that 6'3 215 lb winger with decent speed that goes to the net hard and who's good on the boards. There are players that aren't big names that can fit at a cheap price and these finesse guys can make them look better.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The GM has to give Marner an opposite winger that can mask his deficiencies. Marner isn't changing. So if they don't trade him, get that 6'3 215 lb winger with decent speed that goes to the net hard and who's good on the boards. There are players that aren't big names that can fit at a cheap price and these finesse guys can make them look better.

You cant fix scared to compete in the POs.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Cheers Mitchell

giphy.gif

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Lmao just saw the comments. It's almost like he's trolling the org at this point.

You mean Nick Ritchie? You genuinely still want him?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Beating a dead horse here, but if you need an opposite winger to mask your deficiencies, and a prolific center to put away your chances, you probably shouldn't be amongst the league's highest earners.

Reactions: CJV123 and Eye Test

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'm repeating myself but it's not Marners fault that we've made cap mistakes particularly with Tavares. I most definitely want Marner on this team for the rest of his career because we CAN win with Marner and Matthews as the core. Anyone would kill for M&M together.

Marner had a pretty typical playoff as did the rest of the Leafs. They all deserve some criticism particularly early in the series but those last three games were great and the last game was a coin toss. What more could you ask for playing a team that beat us in the regular season. Now if Marner get's that fluke goal and we win, do you think that the Boston fans blame Marchand and Pasta for getting zero points in the last 3 games. Well, that would be stupid because they both played pretty good. It's a tradition around here to blame Marner because he gets paid a lot. But that's just as stupid. It's a team game and we came really close.

Most of my friends are Leafs fans. We're just not obsessed. We have many other things to do like golf. It's just not that important. We're not thrilled but we were certainly entertained and have already moved on. With a new coach, cap increases, Cowan, Holl, Robertson, Knives, Domi etc and Tavares off the books in one more season the future is bright.
You ok buddy? Im not a miserable no life loser cause i said marner had a bad series? No personal attacks?

Your hypothetical what if doesnt interest me that much, if my aunt had a dick shed be my politically correct aunt. Marner vastly underperformed and we all saw it. You pump this kid non stop and attacked people personally for disagreeing, you can eat your crow like a man.

Reactions: hotpaws

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
I will agree with Mitch's "gods" simile as long as he agrees that there will be no day 3 resurrection after his upcoming metaphorical accountability crucifixion.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Beating a dead horse here, but if you need an opposite winger to mask your deficiencies, and a prolific center to put away your chances, you probably shouldn't be amongst the league's highest earners.

I would be interested to see if you could reset expectations and the relationship on the next contract. That means he takes $10 million or less but takes a back seat on the pecking order where he belongs.

Scapegoating Mitch is fine and all because he deserves the heat for his terrible playoff play. But we also can potentially cripple our regular season cruise control getting rid of him in anger.

In terms of purely bad bang for the buck, it’s the final year of John Tavares and Morgan Rielly as a number 3 defenseman being paid and leaned on like a number 1.

Reactions: Tak7

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I would be interested to see if you could reset expectations and the relationship on the next contract. That means he takes $10 million or less but takes a back seat on the pecking order where he belongs.

Scapegoating Mitch is fine and all because he deserves the heat for his terrible playoff play. But we also can potentially cripple our regular season cruise control getting rid of him in anger.

In terms of purely bad bang for the buck, it’s the final year of John Tavares and Morgan Rielly as a number 3 defenseman being paid and leaned on like a number 1.
I understand your points and fears but maybe a regular season cruise control isn’t the best thing for a group notorious for starting on time and losing focus. Maybe bonding and coming together should happen 40 games sooner and not in game 5,6 and 7. Some more blue collar and less country club. Nothing given, nothing expected.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Marner is too prideful to take $10 million...he thinks he's as good as Matthews and better than Nylander. Domi has proven more than a capable replacement to play along Matthews at less than half the cap space.

Reactions: IPS

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I understand your points and fears but maybe a regular season cruise control isn’t the best thing for a group notorious for starting on time and losing focus. Maybe bonding and coming together should happen 40 games sooner and not in game 5,6 and 7. Some more blue collar and less country club. Nothing given, nothing expected.

I don’t disagree and wouldn’t ever advocate strongly to keep Mitch. I guess the return in a trade just has to be well considered and we can’t be taking a loss to make something happen.

Last thing we need is like Cliff Fletcher giving away Bryan McCabe, Darcy Tucker and friends cause we were fed up with them.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I don’t disagree and wouldn’t ever advocate strongly to keep Mitch. I guess the return in a trade just has to be well considered and we can’t be taking a loss to make something happen.

Last thing we need is like Cliff Fletcher giving away Bryan McCabe, Darcy Tucker and friends cause we were fed up with them.
If I put my anger aside, I do believe the Leafs would prefer to trade Tavares over Mitch. However, I do think they'll ask both to waive and will move either if they can.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
No doubt this will be debated all summer but I firmly believe if this team wants to take the next step, Keefe and 1 of the 3 need to go. It’s hit the wall in terms of the continued 1st round losing and new blood, replacing old needs to happen. A gut punch but a needed one. Then the GM and new coach can lay out expectations and spend the year implementing the regular season/playoff style we are adapting.

At present, 8 years of running it back really is no incentive to rethink or change. It’s always let off the hook. Plus Marner’s main focus (IMO) will be his next contract. He shouldn’t get 12-13-whatever. Not here.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No doubt this will be debated all summer but I firmly believe if this team wants to take the next step, Keefe and 1 of the 3 need to go. It’s hit the wall in terms of the continued 1st round losing and new blood, replacing old needs to happen. A gut punch but a needed one. Then the GM and new coach can lay out expectations and spend the year implementing the regular season/playoff style we are adapting.

At present, 8 years of running it back really is no incentive to rethink or change. It’s always let off the hook. Plus Marner’s main focus (IMO) will be his next contract. He shouldn’t get 12-13-whatever. Not here.

He shouldn’t get $12 or $13 million anywhere. He got his current deal premised on being the Boy Prince of Toronto who put up a 90 point season at 21. Statistically it’s not like his regular season numbers have grown into his cap hit, he’s delivered nothing in the playoffs, meanwhile the career accomplishments of guys like Aho, Rantanen, Point and Pastrnak and even Nylander continue to pile up year after year. The top end of that salary structure is $11.5 million. He’s already been at the level for 5 years.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He shouldn’t get $12 or $13 million anywhere. He got his current deal premised on being the Boy Prince of Toronto who put up a 90 point season at 21. Statistically it’s not like his regular season numbers have grown into his cap hit, he’s delivered nothing in the playoffs, meanwhile the career accomplishments of guys like Aho, Rantanen, Point and Pastrnak and even Nylander continue to pile up year after year. The top end of that salary structure is $11.5 million. He’s already been at the level for 5 years.

Sadly his argument is going to be cap percentage.

He took 13.38%.

In 2025-26 the cap will go to 92M or so, which means a 12.3M contract at the same percentage. Anyone giving him this type of contract is going to regret it unless their only goal is to entertain during the pre-season and regular season.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

He took 13.38%.

In 2025-26 the cap will go to 92M or so, which means a 12.3M contract at the same percentage. Anyone giving him this type of contract is going to regret it unless their only goal is to entertain during the pre-season and regular season.

If I were negotiating with Marner on an extension, my stance would be predicated on not really wanting him that much with a lukewarm dollar amount expressing as much.

So yeah Mitch can want a cap percentage and all this to stay a Leaf, but his desire to stay a Leaf would outweigh my desire to extend him as a Leaf. If he doesn’t want the money we go after someone else.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
You ok buddy? Im not a miserable no life loser cause i said marner had a bad series? No personal attacks?

Your hypothetical what if doesnt interest me that much, if my aunt had a dick shed be my politically correct aunt. Marner vastly underperformed and we all saw it. You pump this kid non stop and attacked people personally for disagreeing, you can eat your crow like a man.
He's an employee of Quartexx Management. Could even be Darren Ferris himself.

Reactions: IPS

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Interpretation: "Theres no f***in way I'm waiving my NMC".

So get nothing in return for him a year from now or buy him out and get nothing anyways. Time to move on.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

He took 13.38%.

That kind of contract is fine if he’s the only double digit salary on the team and like you said the main goal is entertainment and just making the playoffs.

Not if you have Matthews/Nylander at 12 + 13 million, need D + G upgrades on the team, in a media intensive market and haven’t won a cup in 50 + years.

Reactions: Eternal Leaf

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
His game doesn't work against the current Atlantic playoff hockey. Look what our D core did to Pasta in the final 3 games. Marner would have gotten eaten alive by our bottom 4 D.

I can see him putting up 3 points per game in the SCF however. We're built to dominate the West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad