Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Are people honestly giving him "credit" for his effort in the 3rd period?

I thought his issues were injury related? The moment he gets chewed out by the real leaders of the team (AM/WN) he suddenly can play at a high level again?

Doesn't this pretty much prove its effort related with him? That he's not working hard?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Did we get the entire conversation, because yes, marner came up through junior hockey. Matthews and Nylander both played men's hockey before being drafted.

All under a lot of stress.

I wonder if any of the three are 100%, marner ankle, Matthews sick, Nylander coming off illness.

Matthews played in the USHL that is junior hockey.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'm sure this will all be forgotten when Marner puts up a great regular season performance next year and we have no choice but to pay him Matthews money.

The kids have caught on all too well that they can fail as hard as they want in the playoffs and it has no bearing on how much money they get.

Reactions: seventieslord

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You are correct.
All players played junior hockey.
Matthews was drafted out of men's hockey though, as was Nylander.

While some think Nylander was talking to Matthews, marner is the one who reacted.

I find the interaction a positive, someone had to say "grow up."

So I did some digging on X, the camera ISO’s made it seem like Nylander was talking to just Marner.

But sequence of events seems to be this. Keefe rips into Matthews, Matthews then rips into both Marner and Nylander about something or potentially just Marner. Nylander then interrupts Matthews and says “just shoot the f***ing puck, it’s not juniors”.
Marner was caught in the middle and was frustrated with the situation overall and threw his gloves and the camera was ISO’d on him. The way the camera’s iso’d on each player made it seem like it was a bitch fest towards Marner but it seems like it was just as Marner described, a heated exchange between all three with no one person being the target. But you know, these boards love to shit on one guy. Context is important, why would Nylander be telling Marner to shoot after a PP where Marner was net front. The guy who had the puck was Matthews and that was the last play they were discussing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So I did some digging on X, the camera ISO’s made it seem like Nylander was talking to just Marner.

But sequence of events seems to be this. Keefe rips into Matthews, Matthews then rips into both Marner and Nylander about something or potentially just Marner. Nylander then interrupts Matthews and says “just shoot the f***ing puck, it’s not juniors”.
Marner was caught in the middle and was frustrated with the situation overall and threw his gloves and the camera was ISO’d on him. The way the camera’s iso’d on each player made it seem like it was a bitch fest towards Marner but it seems like it was just as Marner described, a heated exchange between all three with no one person being the target. But you know, these boards love to shit on one guy.

Matthews seems to be the one who doesn't get piled on.

marner and Nylander both take continuous heat from posters here.

One is his own worst enemy because he just doesn't seem to accept criticism.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Matthews seems to be the one who doesn't get piled on.

marner and Nylander both take continuous heat from posters here.

One is his own worst enemy because he just doesn't seem to accept criticism.

I don’t know if it’s doesn’t accept criticism. Look Marner’s play warrants the criticism. But this guy has been getting shit on heavy the past year by everyone, fans, media, newspaper, radio lol (whether you think it’s deserved or not) there is only so much one can take. Why is anyone shocked his responses are defensive?

I really don’t see any world where Marner is back as a Maple Leafs next year and if he is, this team isn’t serious about success.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don’t know if it’s doesn’t accept criticism. Look Marner’s play warrants the criticism. But this guy has been getting shit on heavy the past year by everyone, fans, media, newspaper, radio lol (whether you think it’s deserved or not) there is only so much one can take. Why is anyone shocked his responses are defensive?

I really don’t see any world where Marner is back as a Maple Leafs next year and if he is, this team isn’t serious about success.

marner decides if he's with the Leafs next year.

Reactions: Confucius

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Treliving at the end of season exit meeting with Marner, tells Marner give me 10 teams OR you will be playing with Kampf and Reaves next season on defensive assignments in order to tank your contract value.

If you are Marner, what do you do...you give him 10 teams.

I would call his bluff and tell him to put me with Kampf and Reaves and watch him start panicking.

You are tossing away a season as Treliving... I think he is already on thin ice since he wasn't the first choice and has a horrible track record.

I don't think this is how you get in good with players, by screwing over the team and the player you gave a NMC to.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I would call his bluff and tell him to put me with Kampf and Reaves and watch him start panicking.

You are tossing away a season as Treliving... I think he is already on thin ice since he wasn't the first choice and has a horrible track record.

I don't think this is how you get in good with players, by screwing over the team and the player you gave a NMC to.
Leafs are a good regular season team with or without Marner.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Leafs are a good regular season team with or without Marner.

I'm not sure stapling him to Reaves and Kampf would go over well in the locker room, but if Treliving does it, I'll laugh, because I bet he still puts up 60+ in that scenario and his value remains the same.

He will make them both look capable offensively.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Marner was caught in the middle and was frustrated with the situation overall and threw his gloves and the camera was ISO’d on him. The way the camera’s iso’d on each player made it seem like it was a bitch fest towards Marner but it seems like it was just as Marner described, a heated exchange between all three with no one person being the target. But you know, these boards love to shit on one guy. Context is important, why would Nylander be telling Marner to shoot after a PP where Marner was net front. The guy who had the puck was Matthews and that was the last play they were discussing.
Marner was rightfully the target because he was the only one whining during the play.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Marner was rightfully the target because he was the only whining during the play.

What does that have to do with anything? The argument didn’t seem like it had anything to do with whining. It looked like it was about getting pucks through and open looks. Nothing about whining. I don’t know why you feel the need to throw in whining.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
“Quit crying”

Exactly, and as reported by people sitting behind the bench and what we can see on the camera the only guy whining and bitching was mr. 69 goal scorer, after Keefe was in his ear after the PP. marner yes threw his gloves but it sounds like Nylander was actually talking to Matthews. “Hence the stop crying, shoot the f***ing puck, it’s not juniors.”

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Exactly, and as reported by people sitting behind the bench and what we can see on the camera the only guy whining and bitching was mr. 69 goal scorer, after Keefe was in his ear after the PP. marner yes threw his gloves but it sounds like Nylander was actually talking to Matthews. “Hence the stop crying, shoot the f***ing puck, it’s not juniors.”
I don’t think so. Mitchy was even whining during the all star game

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

MM always been a medias darling. Before this playoffs, there are hardly any criticisms on him from the medias. Esp the advance stats crowd. The only diff now is that the advance stats crowd in the medias are very quiet bc even they know the team is struggling and MM been bad.

Honestly, he has been really bad this playoffs and generally wasnt good the past few playoffs.

Only now that the medias are over him bc it is really obvious.

Is MM the only problem? Nope. Is he a major factor in Leafs struggles? Yes.

I would say that beside the 4th line and a few players, the whole team from top to bottom sucks. However, if you are the top players of the team, the blame will be toward you esp if you are not performing.
People don’t crap on JT bc he is a sunk cost.
People say the same thing about Willie, just go and see how many people(fans and medias) were questioning his injury while he skated with the team.
AM is getting heat not as much as MM but some questions(me included) why does he always get outplayed by opposing C.

Reactions: themilosh

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Reading some of these comments, I’m astounded at posters who are clearly fans of Marner more than they are fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

This team will not cease to exist and fall to the bottom of the league without Mitch Marner.

This team could end up a better team without Marner, first by having at least $12m in cap space to fill more pressing holes than anything Marner supposedly does.

Add to it the potential of a trade and what could be had in a deal for Marner, and this team could be infinitely better off without Marner.

Please go Marner fanboi somewhere else.

Not sure where that would be, but my hunch is it would be where the Dubas fanboi’s go as well. The posters for both look the same…..

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Marner is given way too much icetime than he deserves in the playoffs. It is time he is either regulated to the 3rd or 4th line or the pressbox. At this point, you need people that are willing to pay the price to make a play or get the puck. Not back away because they are going to get bodychecked. This a desperate time for the Maple Leafs and if you are not willing to pay the price, the it is time to get off the ice.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Reading some of these comments, I’m astounded at posters who are clearly fans of Marner more than they are fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

This team will not cease to exist and fall to the bottom of the league without Mitch Marner.

This team could end up a better team without Marner, first by having at least $12m in cap space to fill more pressing holes than anything Marner supposedly does.

Add to it the potential of a trade and what could be had in a deal for Marner, and this team could be infinitely better off without Marner.

Not sure where that would be, but my hunch is it would be where the Dubas fanboi’s go as well. The posters for both look the
Why would think that? 🤔

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Matthews literally played in the USHL which is juniors. It’s a direct competitor of the CHL as the American junior league. Think before you speak. People on Twitter literally said Matthews was the one bitching for 5 minutes. Marner didn’t say a word during the whole exchange. You saw a 30 second clip where we don’t even see who Nylander was talking to. Compared to people who were sitting right behind the bench and are giving a first hand account of what happen. Matthews and Nylander were going at it, with Nylander telling Matthews to shoot the puck. Marner on that PP was net front, didn’t even have the puck at all. Marner and Bertuzzi were in the middle. Marner throwing his gloves seemed to be more of a response to realizing the team is falling apart not necessarily him getting bitched out.

Additionally Matthews didn’t even take post game interviews because he’s sick? So what’s your point? Marner was asked because he was in the middle and the only one of the three made available. If they other two were available they would have been asked as well.

Even the video shows them talking to each other but morons and the media online were saying they were bitching at Marner.

Man I don’t know what’s worse?

The morons spreading crap or the morons believing it

Not sure where that would be, but my hunch is it would be where the Dubas fanboi’s go as well. The posters for both look the same…..

This guy is ready for post Sundin era to happen all over again.

Yikes.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

200.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan