NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIII: 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs for Thee

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Have a feeling that one of these clubs who got put up against the wall at 3-1, Carolina, Colorado or Boston, is going to come back and win the series. Would rather be up in a series but getting it to 3-2 and going home isn’t the worst of spots to be in.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Have a feeling that one of these clubs who got put up against the wall at 3-1, Carolina, Colorado or Boston, is going to come back and win the series. Would rather be up in a series but getting it to 3-2 and going home isn’t the worst of spots to be in.

My money is on Carolina of the 3.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
1715831548626.png

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Man, I am actually already anxious before this night's VAN-EDM Game6. Still think it's going to G7, but this next one will be huge. Even considering 5am alarm clock.

In Arty we trust.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Dallas is so fun.
They've gotten great quality in the back half of the first round/first part of second round over the last few years...Hintz (49), Oettinger (26), Robertson (39), Harley (18), Johnson (23), Stankoven (47)...Not to mention getting Heiskanen at 3.

Obviously, they've refined their drafting process, but even still there's a lot of luck involved. To get 3-30+ goal scorers, a top goalie, a #2 defenseman, and a potential 60+ point player in Stankoven after 18 -- No one can convince me that there isn't luck involved.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They've gotten great quality in the back half of the first round/first part of second round over the last few years...Hintz (49), Oettinger (26), Robertson (39), Harley (18), Johnson (23), Stankoven (47)...Not to mention getting Heiskanen at 3.

Obviously, they've refined their drafting process, but even still there's a lot of luck involved. To get 3-30+ goal scorers, a top goalie, a #2 defenseman, and a potential 60+ point player in Stankoven after 18 -- No one can convince me that there isn't luck involved.

The only Luck on their part is other teams in front of them being incompetent. They identify prospects with the type of scoring profiles and skillsets in Juniors that translate to the NHL and then Draft the BPA on their list when their pick comes up. Other teams draft for need or type all too often, and just generally value the wrong features.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The only Luck on their part is other teams in front of them being incompetent. They identify prospects with the type of scoring profiles and skillsets in Juniors that translate to the NHL and then Draft the BPA on their list when their pick comes up. Other teams draft for need or type all too often, and just generally value the wrong features.
I assume Jim Nill has made a huge difference there. Ever since he left the Red Wings to join Dallas Detroit's drafting doesn't seem to be that great anymore, and they used to be famous for late round steals.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
The guy dressed up as the chick with the big knockers that sits behind the Stars bench was pretty good too
Pics? That sound amazing I need to see it

Edit: getting the feeling I might need to clarify that I’m not into pics of guys with big knockers, though I also want to clarify that there’s nothing wrong with that and I am by no means kink shaming I’m just saying that’s not my type

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

They put themselves in the best position to draft players with high-end potential- there's no doubt about that. They take advantage of who is on the board when the pick. They bet on younger players, poor skaters, smaller players etc. Sure -- I'd agree they are finding market inefficiencies, and to a great job at that.

But ALL those players turning out to meet their 95 or greater percentile outcome is absolute luck - it's unheard of. For all we know, they could have liked Krebs or Newhook over Harley, or they could have liked Patrick or Hischer over Heiskanen...Hell, they selected Ty Dellandrea over Joel Farabee.

My overall point is that it is not normal for a player selected after ~#10OA to become a high impact player. They got 5 of them. There is a significant amount of luck in that.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
They put themselves in the best position to draft players with high-end potential- there's no doubt about that. They take advantage of who is on the board when the pick. They bet on younger players, poor skaters, smaller players etc. Sure -- I'd agree they are finding market inefficiencies, and to a great job at that.

But ALL those players turning out to meet their 95 or greater percentile outcome is absolute luck - it's unheard of. For all we know, they could have liked Krebs or Newhook over Harley, or they could have liked Patrick or Hischer over Heiskanen...Hell, they selected Ty Dellandrea over Joel Farabee.

My overall point is that it is not normal for a player selected after ~#10OA to become a high impact player. They got 5 of them. There is a significant amount of luck in that.
now do the Flyers..

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: VladDrag

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Yeah. Realistically speaking other than sure-fire guys like McDavid etc. there is a fair amount of luck. Even when you draft a guy you "know" will be a good player they still have a pretty high failure rate in terms of reaching that potential. They may still be good, just not the impact of a superstar. Take a look at Byfield and Lafreniere, pretty sure the hype around those guys at 1-2 was pretty high in terms of them being immediate impact players. Three years later and both of them are starting to find their stride but neither has hit 60 points yet. Once you get outside of the top ten-ish the likelihood of success in terms of finding a star player is astronomically small and all the scouting the world doesn't help you, it is luck. Sure, the Stars like Jason Robertson and he turned out to be a good player, but there is no way when they drafted him they were like, "yeah, this guy has 100+ point potential."

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

Of course it is, had they known how good these players would turn out they wouldn't draft Gurianov ahead of Hintz or risk waiting their turn to draft players like Robertson or Johnston.

Not that long ago media would cream their pants in the praises of Yzerman and look at his tenure in Detroit. Guess now it's Stars time to shine. Just wish we could of had similar stretch in Philly.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Of course it is, had they known how good these players would turn out they wouldn't draft Gurianov ahead of Hintz or risk waiting their turn to draft players like Robertson or Johnston.

Not that long ago media would cream their pants in the praises of Yzerman and look at his tenure in Detroit. Guess now it's Stars time to shine. Just wish we could have had similar stretch in Philly.
I’d hold off on ripping Yzerman. He’s drafted well and not pushed his young guys into situations that they can’t handle. If Larkin doesn’t get banged up and miss some games, the Wings would have made the POs. They’re a team on the rise. Larkin is a neglected star in the making. He is a player. Best Wing since Yzerman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad