Post-Game Talk: Mika May

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Mods on the Canes board encouraging their posters to report NYR fans reacting to their posts.

Like, I understand not wanting trolls on your board posting. We don't want that here either. But reactions are now infract-able on that board? Just seems so, so insecure. I mean, who even keeps track of that?
This has been policy across all of HF for the past year or so. Including here.

This isn’t something we’re going to have a 3 page debate about.

Last edited:

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would put a decent amount of money on Rempe coming out of the lineup

You just can’t have the wildcard of him being in the box potentially multiple times a game
Right, and you can say it's not fair, but at a certain point, it just is what it is. The coach has to react to it.

It's not like we'd be forced to put in some scrub. Chytil is basically a healthy scratch at this point.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He didn't say he's playing; It was more me asking everybody here how this guy is going to get in the lineup. To me, he's behind Roslovic, Chytil, Rempe and Brodzinski.
He may not be healthy enough yet anyway. The playoffs are a long road. Its smart to get as many guys ready as possible. I cant answer your question. It would really depend on specific situations. It is very unlikely.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I've said this before, but when a guy is hit that hard facefirst into the boards it will get called both ways. The NHL doesn't want to see that period, regradless of turning into the hit (I know the rules). Only way they don't call that is ironitcally if it's called/reviewed for a major and then they can see in slowmo the turn into the hit. Full speed, refs will call that all the time. I absolutely LOVED that Trouba wrecked him right after CKs destruction, we got our money's worth on that penalty.

Couldn't agree more, I wish we scored on that play only so they would have had to review it for interference and then been forced to deem it no interference. It's ridiculous at this point.

We had a bit of luck on the Panarin goal- it hit Anderson's ribcage, was heading wide, and then Anderson squeezing his armpit closed brought his stick shaft into play which redirected it in. I'll take it- it was right play by Panarin and a well aimed shot.

View attachment 865816
It's a flukey goal, but Carolina's first goal was also flukey with it deflecting off Laf's stick, bouncing off the ice, and hitting the top corner of the net. That's hockey. Lucky bounces are part of the game.

If you remove flukey goals, Rangers still win the game 3-2.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Rempe is just getting in more work. He's not playing a ton of minutes anyway. Honestly it's good for him to keep working on things and getting more comfortable at the NHL level.

Even last game he wasn't running around like he did at first. His penalty was bogus and I thought he was effective on the ice. They need to talk to the league because it's clear as day the refs watch him like a hawk when he is out there.

ESPN showed some shitty angles, but he wasn't going into the crease when Staal boxed him into the goalie. It's smart for Staal to do it because Andersen can't see his shadow if Rempe gets netfront.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
You guys don't have to worry because I'll just tell you when I'm pissed off.

Machinehead-O'Meter.

I only gave that game 2/10 McLeod's on the garbage scale. It was great.

It looks like they did change something in the modeling. The results are a LOT more realistic (even if definitely not accurate).

I reloaded it 5 times and it was all in the same general range.

Image 5-6-24 at 2.39 PM.jpeg

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It looks like they did change something in the modeling. The results are a LOT more realistic (even if definitely not accurate).

I reloaded it 5 times and it was all in the same general range.

View attachment 865919
Carolina's xG went down significantly on NST as well. Something must have changed in the NHL's shot tracker which is what all these sites use.

Valiquette ended up with similar numbers. This is just what happens when powerplays are 4-0.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Respectfully disagree. There were a couple of instances where he just literally stopped the Canes forecheck just by planting his body on the guy with the puck. He even got to the guy late, but just his size and reach prevented the puck from going forward. Same thing in the Canes' defensive zone. It looked like the Cane was going to win the puck battle, but he just put his body in there and trapped the guy and kept the Rangers forecheck alive.
And he hits. Hard. Knocked one D out and broke Oshie’s hand. Certainly wore down WSH defenders and had them making “nervous decisions.”

Reactions: Wtp99

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Very interesting.
Yes, and not unprecedented.

Fun fact: the 2007-08 Penguins were 28th in the league in corsi. They got somewhat better the following year, but still nothing impressive.

They went to the SCF in '08 and won the Cup in '09.

There's a legitimate argument that some teams require fewer touches to get great chances and therefore, don't build up as much quantity as teams that are still searching for goals.

And then you're ahead and everyone plays like shit when they're ahead.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
There's no way he's better at cycling and forechecking than Chytil.
I don’t think he’s a better option than Chytil if Chytil is game ready. But that’s a false binary… they can both be in and someone else can come out. I’m a Vesey fan, but what impact has he had in the playoffs this far? Rempe hurt Washington, literally, aside from opening the series scoring.

Reactions: trueblue30nyr

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
It's a flukey goal, but Carolina's first goal was also flukey with it deflecting off Laf's stick, bouncing off the ice, and hitting the top corner of the net. That's hockey. Lucky bounces are part of the game.

If you remove flukey goals, Rangers still win the game 3-2.
We should not treat Carolina's first goal and the Panarin goal as equals. Carolina's was truly fluky, as you say taking a deflection and then bouncing from far out. No goalie would have had that one.

Panarin's goal is really more of a reflection of the edge that we have in net. Yes, goalie errors are a bit of good fortune for the opponent, but the team with better goaltending is also probably going to have fewer errors. Crazy bounces, on the other hand, tend to even out.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
We should not treat Carolina's first goal and the Panarin goal as equals. Carolina's was truly fluky, as you say taking a deflection and then bouncing from far out. No goalie would have had that one.

Panarin's goal is really more of a reflection of the edge that we have in net. Yes, goalie errors are a bit of good fortune for the opponent, but the team with better goaltending is also probably going to have fewer errors. Crazy bounces, on the other hand, tend to even out.
agreed. one was flukey, the other was plain soft. kudos to panarin for taking the shot though.

Reactions: egelband

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don’t think he’s a better option than Chytil if Chytil is game ready. But that’s a false binary… they can both be in and someone else can come out. I’m a Vesey fan, but what impact has he had in the playoffs this far? Rempe hurt Washington, literally, aside from opening the series scoring.
Vesey, the one who is one of the better defensive player and on the top PK unit?

That same Vesey?

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012

Agreed. Pans goal was just one the goalie couldn’t stop, bounces like that happen every damn game. That first CAR goal though… hits a NYR, defects downward, hits a rut in the ice, bounces up but knuckleballs down into the net after going over Shesty… been watching hockey for 50+ years and I’ve never seen one quite like that.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Vesey, the one who is one of the better defensive player and on the top PK unit?

That same Vesey?
Yes. Vesey who has one point more than Rempe and the same plus minus.
They are two players who bring different things. We have plenty of guys who can kill penalties. Think the PK suffers if we put KK on PK 1? I don’t. Think our physicality suffers if we replace Rempe? I do.
My point, which STILL stands, is it’s NOT a Chytil or Rempe binary, no matter if your opinion is that Rempe should sit or not. If Lavi keeps this roster till we lose a game, I get it. If he decides to Sit Rempe for Chytil, I get it. If he sits Wenn or Vesey for Chytil, I get it.

Reactions: egelband

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Only if they can't really get set up and to that end its more about not allowing the Rangers to get started rather than high pressure. I find that they have less success against teams that force them to move around and open up space/rely on shooting the puck through them and rely on Kreider tips/screens. They're more likely to pass themselves to death and/or take low percentage shots when thats what they're confronted with.

Carolina's elite PK struggling in the post season isn't new, it happens to Carolina every year in the playoffs. Rangers killed them on the PP from game 3 onwards in 2022 and every team that has eliminated them over the last half decade operated at 25% or above (Including Tampa and Boston who had series where they operated at nearly 50%!)

Nothing has changed on that end for them. They still kill penalties the same as they always have, find great success with it in the regular season and then the playoffs roll around and they face a team that can really whip it around and get lit up. Hell even the Isles had success against them despite limited opportunities.
Great post. Yeah, we struggle against high pressure PKs on zone entries and while trying to get set up. When we can win the O Zone face-off, like we did on both goals last night (thanks Vincenzo), then we actually are the perfect team to match up against a high pressure PK.

Winning the faceoff is massive because it's an instant set up. The familiarity of our unit is the real key. They can basically execute these plays without even looking because they're all so comfortable they know where each other are going to be. PP Goal 1 last night is 5 straight passes, 3 of them on the backhand and 2 of the backhanded passes being no look passes.

The high pressure PK is great in the regular season against the majority of teams when you're not really being truly game planned for. But against a team with as dynamic a PP as we have and plus we had a full week of prep for them. Surprised we don't see this type of analysis from national writers because it's right there and very plain to see, but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad