Prospect Info: Michael Benning (2020, #95 overall), Univ. of Denver (NCAA)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Scouting articles say his skating and hockey IQ allows him to keep good gap control and he isn't afraid to go to corners or push out front but he does get outmuscled.
NCAA route allows for more gym time to get stronger/quicker.

He's a 4th forward no doubt but his fave player is Josi and he gets comparison style to Makar-lite.
Our development with mid round picks on defense have been better than at forward imo.
Just wish we had even one elite D prospect.
If two of Stillman, Ludvig, Gildon, Benning can lock up #4-6 D roles for 3-4 years, it'd show some good development.
Eh it’s a big jump and I’m a bit doubtful here but I can be wrong.

you’re right about development but sometimes I wonder if it is just luck: we essentially have developed 3 home grown defensemen: Weegar, Brown and Stillman. Probabilistically we are bound to get some bottom 6 defensemen over a 7 year period...

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Eh it’s a big jump and I’m a bit doubtful here but I can be wrong.

you’re right about development but sometimes I wonder if it is just luck: we essentially have developed 3 home grown defensemen: Weegar, Brown and Stillman. Probabilistically we are bound to get some bottom 6 defensemen over a 7 year period...

Oh no doubt it is. Id say he has long shot of hitting the ceiling of #4 sheltered D who chips in half of his points on the PP. 25-35pts.
He's more likely to be a career AHLer or #5-7 D. Will be fun to watch his next few years.

Weegar, Brown and Malgin are the prospects who have played the most games since 2013 outside the 1st or 2nd round.
Before that, we developed better forwards in mid rounds.

Think we need to heavily focus on development of defense since its more mid round picks while we are fairly certain guys like Tippett, Denisenko, Lundell have high end ceilings and the 2nd tier guys have decent middle 6 potential with the forwards.

Reactions: violaswallet

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He absolutely will be in the mix for the WJC next year.

Really? Not being sarcastic, but you really think he has a chance?

Drysdale
Guhle
Barron
Power(if Michigan lets him go)
Korczak
Schneider
Millman
Clarke
Lambos
maybe Byram returns

That would be great if he could be in the mix though

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Really? Not being sarcastic, but you really think he has a chance?

Drysdale - 50/50 NHL
Guhle - eligible but LHD
Barron - Not eligible
Power(if Michigan lets him go) - 50/50 NHL (LHD in any event)
Korczak - not eligible
Schneider - not eligible
Millman - not eligible
Clarke - RHD, yes will be in the mix as I doubt he’ll be in the NHL next fall
Lambos - eligible but LHD
maybe Byram returns - not eligible

That would be great if he could be in the mix though

Remember that Benning is a RHD and you don’t seem to have a handle on age/eligibility for the U20 tournament. See above.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Remember that Benning is a RHD and you don’t seem to have a handle on age/eligibility for the U20 tournament. See above.

Ok yeah I didn't check birthdays, I just assumed they would all still be 19. I don't see Drysdale in the nhl though. Ducks are rebuilding and I think they'll give him time. Benning is a rhd but I don't think that alone gets him a spot. Although I would love to see it.

Reactions: thrillhous

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Ok yeah I didn't check birthdays, I just assumed they would all still be 19. I don't see Drysdale in the nhl though. Ducks are rebuilding and I think they'll give him time. Benning is a rhd but I don't think that alone gets him a spot. Although I would love to see it.
Of course when I say he’ll be in the mix I mean that it will depend on how he plays next fall but if he continues to play well at DU it would be really surprising if he were to not get invited to the camp. He is on Hockey Canada’s radar, having played in the Junior A challenge, and he likely would have made the U18 team last spring.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
This guy looks pretty good. Should Zito sign and send to A or should he play another year of college puck?

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
General question a bit out of context: can he not finish his degree while playing professional hockey? Does his student status prevent him from being a pro? Of course would be superhard to do both at the same time, but I never hear teams even considering this, and it the "normal" world it is quite the common thing to do

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
General question a bit out of context: can he not finish his degree while playing professional hockey? Does his student status prevent him from being a pro? Of course would be superhard to do both at the same time, but I never hear teams even considering this, and it the "normal" world it is quite the common thing to do
I am not an expert but:
1- NCAA athletes are not supposed to get paid. That’s why when players sign professional contracts they end their NCAA careers.
2- if they chose to get their degrees after turning pro, they would have to do it on their own time (i.e., off season), when they are not dealing with the time demands of regular season hockey.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I am not an expert but:
1- NCAA athletes are not supposed to get paid. That’s why when players sign professional contracts they end their NCAA careers.
2- if they chose to get their degrees after turning pro, they would have to do it on their own time (i.e., off season), when they are not dealing with the time demands of regular season hockey.
Or wait until their career is over.

Reactions: Chino Oscar

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017

He can absolutely finish his degree while playing professionally. But if he goes pro after two years in college, it's very unlikely. In practice, he can continue taking classes online/by correspondence/during the offseason, but Student athletes get to enroll in special course sections that have fewer hours and expect less work, and once he moves on to the pros he has to take real courses.

I suppose it might be a lot easier now with online classes, but nonetheless, probably something to do after playing career is over.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
He can absolutely finish his degree while playing professionally. But if he goes pro after two years in college, it's very unlikely. In practice, he can continue taking classes online/by correspondence/during the offseason, but Student athletes get to enroll in special course sections that have fewer hours and expect less work, and once he moves on to the pros he has to take real courses.

I suppose it might be a lot easier now with online classes, but nonetheless, probably something to do after playing career is over.
I am not an expert but:
Thanks for the feedback.

I figured it was more out of practical reasons that students finish their studies completely before turning pro, rather than the rules not making it possible for them to transfer early and still get their degree. Makes perfect sense.

Guess we will wait for him another 2 years, what would probably perfect timing for him to join our team. Hope his development continues like that, and it is always great to have some real winners on our team.
Congrats btw!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad