Injury Report: Matthews day to day

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Had a lot of chances tonight but wasn't really himself. Tried a lot of little chip ins and things so not sure if that's a hint of what's wrong with him. Don't really recall his shot attempts or carrying the puck much vs Florida. Is he playing vs Washington tomorrow?

Reactions: saffronleaf

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
Had a lot of chances tonight but wasn't really himself. Tried a lot of little chip ins and things so not sure if that's a hint of what's wrong with him. Don't really recall his shot attempts or carrying the puck much vs Florida. Is he playing vs Washington tomorrow?
He wants to play but the decision won't be made until they see how he feels tomorrow.

Should've scored at least once. Just didn't have the strength on the one (Marchment?) altered his stick on as he was trying to shovel it into an open net. Things like that wouldn't give pause, normally, but when you know he's injured you wonder if he just didn't have the strength somewhere it was needed to twine that one.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Ok, I'll bite. What was it?

The speculation is a sprained or jammed finger is the only thing I read.

When he played the ottawa game I commented In the thread he wasn’t skating. I thought he tweaked a muscle or ankle.

In the game tonight he focused on being in front of the net rather than distance shots which makes me wonder about upper body.

The Jammed/sprained finger could make sense for his hesitation to shoot.

Or maybe it was strategic

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Ok, I'll bite. What was it?
It was called a new injury for one.
Two, if it was wrist, and he didn’t rest the entire regular season, the entire coaching staff and training staff should be fired.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Matthews had 7 shots on net and another 1/2 dozen that went wide, so taking shots didn't seem to be his issue.

However those shots were not typical Matthews style 100 MPH wrist shots that blow by the goalie and a lot more chip shots and in close chances without big wind-ups ..

My guess would be bruised ribs, which wouldn't be serious but also effect ones shot, and would limit the time of possession as well, so as not to keep getting hit further, so let your teammates carry the puck more while it heals.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I’m not gonna speculate on what the minor injury is/was. Doesn’t really serve any purpose because we likely aren’t going to find out any time soon, if at all. All I know is watching Matthews last night he looked good, and initiated contact on many Florida players which is a good sign. I’m not worried about his time off until I’m given a reason to be

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Now that he's been back for two so/so games what are the doctors here diagnosing his injury as? Wrist again?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Maybe ever.
You joke.
I laugh.

However, if this is 'the wrist' again, that is somewhat concerning to me. He got off a couple rockets last night and missed the net, but the shots looked the same as ever. And that drive to the net where he hit the post did not reek of caution.

I do find he tends to squeeze the stick when he is in "big moments" and seems to go quiet on the goal scoring side of things. These big moments could be for him, for the team, both... probably doesn't play out based on actual stats, but he strugged to 50, and is struggling to 60, and has struggled to score to help close out series. Probably reading into something that isn't there.

Would simply speak to the pressure he is putting on himself (similar to Mitch in playoffs past).

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
You joke.
I laugh.

However, if this is 'the wrist' again, that is somewhat concerning to me. He got off a couple rockets last night and missed the net, but the shots looked the same as ever. And that drive to the net where he hit the post did not reek of caution.

I do find he tends to squeeze the stick when he is in "big moments" and seems to go quiet on the goal scoring side of things. These big moments could be for him, for the team, both... probably doesn't play out based on actual stats, but he strugged to 50, and is struggling to 60, and has struggled to score to help close out series. Probably reading into something that isn't there.

Would simply speak to the pressure he is putting on himself (similar to Mitch in playoffs past).
I think you're onto something rather than on something. Many great athletes struggle to perform in big moments. Dan Jansen comes immediately to mind, although, he eventually overcame himself. Greg Norman and Phil Mickelson, also. Phil figured it out eventually.

Barry Bonds was one of the worst playoff performers, of all-time, for his level of greatness. The first 5 post-seasons of Bonds career he batted in the 100's three times, and highest was .250. He got better later in his career but was still hit or miss, no pun intended. Perhaps, that will happen with Matthews? 6th time's the charm?

Our team has too many Barry Bonds on it. I don't think getting better physically is where the focus should be. Auston and the gang need to see a guy like John Smoltz's sports psychologist. It is between the ears. Mental affects the physical for all of us. Regardless of how talented a person is, if they aren't in the right head space, the physical will never shine through as it should. The Leafs are so progressive I have to believe they've done a lot of work in that area...I hope.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I think you're onto something rather than on something. Many great athletes struggle to perform in big moments. Dan Jansen comes immediately to mind, although, he eventually overcame himself. Greg Norman and Phil Mickelson, also. Phil figured it out eventually.

Barry Bonds was one of the worst playoff performers, of all-time, for his level of greatness. The first 5 post-seasons of Bonds career he batted in the 100's three times, and highest was .250. He got better later in his career but was still hit or miss, no pun intended. Perhaps, that will happen with Matthews? 6th time's the charm?

Our team has too many Barry Bonds on it. I don't think getting better physically is where the focus should be. Auston and the gang need to see a guy like John Smoltz's sports psychologist. It is between the ears. Mental affects the physical for all of us. Regardless of how talented a person is, if they aren't in the right head space, the physical will never shine through as it should. The Leafs are so progressive I have to believe they've done a lot of work in that area...I hope.
It is so hard to know sometimes... but up to now, there is something in the way. The between the ears thing rings true for me, but really, I don't know, just observing the same results every season that make no sense. Maybe those that suffer have found a way to persevere? We'll have an idea in about two weeks. I prefer that I am on something, rather than onto something in this case.

Reactions: riffle

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Lol I don’t normally say this but okay boomer
If he played in rhe 70's he would be a warrior for playing through nagging injuries. Young kid? He is selfish. 80% of the league is playing through some sort of ailment this late in the year

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I think there are two situations... an injury that you can make worse by playing, and one you can't. I have to assume, considering the wealth of expertise this franchise has at its disposal, the fact that Matthews is playing means he cannot make it worse and is capable of playing through it; probably needs to find a way to be effective while not feeling 100%. I never question it if a guy is in the lineup or not... I just hope it is nothing that prevents him from scoring regularly, because I am not sure we can overcome that in a seven game series against a team like Tampa. Even with our improved depth, we need his offence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad