Prospect Info: Matthew Beniers (Round 1, 2 overall)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Matthew Beniers had an excellent freshman campaign with the University of Michigan. He put up 10 goals and 14 assists for 24 points in 24 games this season. Beniers was named to the Big Ten All-Rookie Team, and was an Honourable Mention for the conference all-star team. Beniers and the Wolverines were all set for the Frozen Four Tournament but had to withdraw due to a positive COVID-19 test on a member of the team. He was also part of Team USA at the 2021 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship, helping his country to a gold-medal performance. Beniers put up a goal and two assists in seven games during the tournament.

In 2019-20 Beniers was an alternate captain for the U.S. National Development Team Under-18 Team. He scored 18 goals and 23 assists for 41 points in 44 games that year. In 2019, he won a bronze medal at the Under-18 World Championships. As an underage player, he put up two goals in seven games.

His Scouting Report is here
2021 NHL Draft #2: Matthew Beniers Scouting Report

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Pretty stoked about the pick. Guy is a responsible player. Wouldnt hurt to give him a look on the 3rd line at the start of the yr.

Reactions: andys

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Not unexpected. Was definitely the safest pick in the draft.

I can't help but wonder a little if they didn't just draft David Legwand, but even then, that was a solid player that played a roll for the preds for years.

While it doesn't really excited me, I am definitely ok with it.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA

I can't help but wonder a little if they didn't just draft David Legwand, but even then, that was a solid player that played a roll for the preds for years.

I think that's the appeal to this pick. David Legwand is Beniers' absolute floor. If that's what he ends up being, it's still a good pick, especially for a new franchise. If he ends up more than that, which I believe he will, then it's that much better. Almost zero bust potential with this pick, barring anything freakish happening.

Reactions: andys and Irie

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think that's the appeal to this pick. David Legwand is Beniers' absolute floor. If that's what he ends up being, it's still a good pick, especially for a new franchise. If he ends up more than that, which I believe he will, then it's that much better. Almost zero bust potential with this pick, barring anything freakish happening.

Shhhh, don't jinx Beniers.... The one certainty I am certain of in life is that there is no certainty when drafting 18 year old kids into the NHL! :laugh:

Remember, Legwand came into the league with better puck skills than Beniers currently has. But an expansion team rushing him, and Trots molding him created what he became.

Hopefully Seattle doesn't do that and takes things nice and slow with all their kids.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
This was the covid draft so it will be all over the map. Looks like we got a solid number 2 C and a Ron Francis 2 way kinda guy.

This guy is nothing like Legwand.

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
I can’t wait for Matty Mania to eventually take over Seattle. I’ve loved watching guys like Bergeron, Toews, Datsyuk, M.Richards, Brind’Amour, Francis etc. for decades.

He might not become an offensive superstar, but he seems like a great kid and someone you can trust in any situation. He’s the type of guy you need to elevate your franchise and that you can win with.

As you can see from my name, I’m not biased in any way whatsoever.

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but Matty's apparently really into the sciences and specializing in Dermatology, which was a cool side fact. He started watching Dr. Pimple Popper and apparently was a fan :laugh:. He's pretty academically motivated so I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to school for another year or at least finished his degree alongside his pro career if he starts immediately with the Kraken next season.

Reactions: mazmin and andys

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada

Great pick! More like a Bergeron.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
This was the covid draft so it will be all over the map. Looks like we got a solid number 2 C and a Ron Francis 2 way kinda guy.

This guy is nothing like Legwand.

Maybe not when they were drafted... Legwand nearly scored 2 points a game his rookie season in the OHL, and was drafted with higher offensive expectations than Beniers, but Nashville rushed him and Trotz neutered his offensive game, grooming him into a solid, two-way player.

I think if Beniers doesn't take the next step and elevate his offensive game, then there would still be a very good chance that he could be an extremely solid two-way center, the way Legwand was for the Preds for a decade and a half.

It is never a great idea to compare 18 year old players to future HoF centers, they rarely will live up to those types of expectations. If Beniers becomes even half the player Bergeron is, that would still be an amazing pick in this draft. And if he doesn't, but still has a long career playing a role similar to Legwand, well that wouldn't be a terrible outcome either, just not quite as amazing.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
  • Maybe not when they were drafted... Legwand nearly scored 2 points a game his rookie season in the OHL, and was drafted with higher offensive expectations than Beniers, but Nashville rushed him and Trotz neutered his offensive game, grooming him into a solid, two-way player.

I think if Beniers doesn't take the next step and elevate his offensive game, then there would still be a very good chance that he could be an extremely solid two-way center, the way Legwand was for the Preds for a decade and a half.

It is never a great idea to compare 18 year old players to future HoF centers, they rarely will live up to those types of expectations. If Beniers becomes even half the player Bergeron is, that would still be an amazing pick in this draft. And if he doesn't, but still has a long career playing a role similar to Legwand, well that wouldn't be a terrible outcome either, just not quite as amazing.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I'm hoping he develops his physicality and intensity more than Legwand. The playoffs are tough and you need a gritty, 2 way C to win.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I'm hoping he develops his physicality and intensity more than Legwand. The playoffs are tough and you need a gritty, 2 way C to win.
Honestly, who knows but Legwand had over 600 points in his career. Nothing to sneeze at considering not a big noticeable name. Considering how some prospects might not even play 100 NHL games would consider it be fortunate if he had career over 1000 NHL games

Reactions: kihei

Miracle on Ice

Jul 30, 2021
If he could be a Legwand type of player it is good for the team. Obviously we want him to be a big points producer, but if he doesn't achieve that potentiel, we could only dream of a Legwand type of career!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad