Player Discussion Matt Rempe - See Mod Note Post 769

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I laugh at the narrative that he’s afraid to fight Wilson.

As if he hasn’t already taken on the 3 top heavy weights in the league already.
I still don’t even think Wilson would have actually dropped his gloves. You know how many times Wilson has fought Reaves? 0. Deslauriers? 0 MacDermid? 0 Olivier? 0. The only guy he’s fought in the last 5 years that is kind of an actual heavyweight is Jarred Tinordi… who beat him. I remember him fighting Chara once and Johnston once, years back. Neither gave him the option, both beat him. Wilson is just barely above the Trouba/Goodrow level as a fighter and isnt someone who likes to punch up. Only down.
Rempe has zero to fear from Wilson as far as a fight. Now psycho dirty shit? No one is safe from that.

Rempe is going to look like him in his 50s/60s. He should just embrace the jaws next season.
richard_kiel_640.jpg
Actually Roobroeck really does resemble this guy already.

Reactions: AirGut

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
He had a fine series but, provided Chytil is ready, it's time to take him out of the lineup for the series against Carolina. Can't risk the penalties against them and have a guy in the lineup who has zero special teams role that gets benched in the third period when the game is close.
This wouldn’t upset me. Neither would leaving him in… and taking out someone else. Guess we will see what happens. Maybe start him in the series and see how it goes. If he can take a pound of flesh (wear and tear wise) out of their D corps for the first couple of games that’s an advantage going forward.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I don't trust Rempe defensively against the Canes.
Its hard for a coach to make changes in the playoffs coming off 4 straight wins but I think there may come a time that Chytil gets in the next series. It is not automatic that Rempe would come out though. There are 1-3 guys that might come out before Rempe. I would not mind giving Zac Jones a chance if we have trouble with another teams speed as well.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Its hard for a coach to make changes in the playoffs coming off 4 straight wins but I think there may come a time that Chytil gets in the next series. It is not automatic that Rempe would come out though. There are 1-3 guys that might come out before Rempe. I would not mind giving Zac Jones a chance if we have trouble with another teams speed as well.
I would like to see Jones as well. He was generating offense 5 on 5.

Reactions: Wtp99

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

There is no way there are 1-3 guys who would come out before Rempe. Vesey/Goodrow/Wennberg are all key PKers. Cuylle/Kakko don't get much special teams but are obviously ahead of him in the lineup. Roslovic had 4 points in 4 games, plays in the top six, and was also just on the ice with the goalie pull (yes it was technically a PPG but still). Rempe on the other hand gets benched for entire periods late in close games.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
rempe has been great and i thought he played a key role in this series against the caps

with that being said though hes coming out for fil game 1 against the canes

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
There is no way there are 1-3 guys who would come out before Rempe. Vesey/Goodrow/Wennberg are all key PKers. Cuylle/Kakko don't get much special teams but are obviously ahead of him in the lineup. Roslovic had 4 points in 4 games, plays in the top six, and was also just on the ice with the goalie pull (yes it was technically a PPG but still). Rempe on the other hand gets benched for entire periods late in close games.
I did not say 1-3 guys would come out before Rempe. I said 1-3 guys might come out before Rempe. It all depends on how the next series goes. It depends on situations as well. Rempe is the most likely but that is not a lock. I do not know that the coaches were as impressed by Cuyle and KK as fans on this board were in the last series. Wenberg is a possibility only because he is a 3rd line center that has not produced. Still as you pointed out he has done well on the PK. Before this playoff series fans on this board were willing to sit Goody. Now after a good playoff series that has changed. Rempe is the most likely to sit but if Rempe is making his presence known in a physical series plus scoring then he is not a lock. Most the players in that bottom 6 will have to earn their spot. Our 3rd line combined for 1 goal and 0 assists in 4 games. They will have to improve on that if they want to be locks to stay in the lineup for all the playoffs.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I did not say 1-3 guys would come out before Rempe. I said 1-3 guys might come out before Rempe. It all depends on how the next series goes. It depends on situations as well. Rempe is the most likely but that is not a lock. I do not know that the coaches were as impressed by Cuyle and KK as fans on this board were in the last series. Wenberg is a possibility only because he is a 3rd line center that has not produced. Still as you pointed out he has done well on the PK. Before this playoff series fans on this board were willing to sit Goody. Now after a good playoff series that has changed. Rempe is the most likely to sit but if Rempe is making his presence known in a physical series plus scoring then he is not a lock. Most the players in that bottom 6 will have to earn their spot. Our 3rd line combined for 1 goal and 0 assists in 4 games. They will have to improve on that if they want to be locks to stay in the lineup for all the playoffs.

Cuylle and Kakko were a couple of our best forwards against Washington. Laviolette understands hockey; the chances of him running his index finger down the boxscores and scratching either one of those guys is basically 0%.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Cuylle and Kakko were a couple of our best forwards against Washington. Laviolette understands hockey; the chances of him running his index finger down the boxscores and scratching either one of those guys is basically 0%.
For 4 games maybe but you cant have 0 production from your 3rd line and expect it to go on for 16-27 games. Something will have to change. They will have to raise their production. They were 2 of our players that played the least minutes. Coaches notice.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
For 4 games maybe but you cant have 0 production from your 3rd line and expect it to go on for 16-27 games. Something will have to change. They will have to raise their production. They were 2 of our players that played the least minutes. Coaches notice.

In fairness again, that line was a jumbled mess due to all of the PK, PP and rotation of Cuylle and Wennberg to the 4th line

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
In fairness again, that line was a jumbled mess due to all of the PK, PP and rotation of Cuylle and Wennberg to the 4th line
Wenberg played a lot in large part due to the PK. Cuyle was the 2nd least on the team after Rempe. KK was 3rd least. Those numbers will go up if they produce a little more.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Wenberg played a lot in large part due to the PK. Cuyle was the 2nd least on the team after Rempe. KK was 3rd least. Those numbers will go up if they produce a little more.

I don't think those numbers are going to change much. Cuylle and Kakko both played more at 5v5 than the 4th line, and more than Kreider. Without special teams, their overall TOI is basically what it's going to be.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I see no change for the next game.

What coach changes a team that finished the reg season strong, won the Pres Trophy, then swept the next team?

If Chytil is REALLY ready, & I mean playoff game shape... he'll be in after 1st loss.

Otherwise I see the same lineup.

Reactions: Black Tank

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Hockey fans have been conditioned to think that every player needs to play a certain amount or else they are a detriment to the team while no other sport operates that way.

Btw, Lundkvist is playing less than Rempe.

Reactions: patnyrnyg

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Hockey fans have been conditioned to think that every player needs to play a certain amount or else they are a detriment to the team while no other sport operates that way.

Btw, Lundkvist is playing less than Rempe.
Agreed. Many don't seem to understand the concept of a 4th line. It's not a 4th line by title, it's a 4th line because these players are going to play less than their teammates because of different usage and different effect on the game. Even on 2010 Team Canada, Patrice Bergeron played the least mins on a 4th line with Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf. There isn't enough ice time to go around for 4 1st lines so when you're winning it's crazy to shake up the team chemistry to randomly try and add in scoring to bottom lines.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Just to be clear here are Rempe's ranks among forwards on the team in round 1:

CF% - Last
xGF% - Last
Scoring Change Percent - Last
High Danger Chance Percent - Last
TOI - Last
3rd Period TOI - Last (5:51 through 4 games)
Special Teams TOI - Last
Penalties Taken - Most
O-Zone Starts - 100% (T-1)
Hits - Most
GF60 - 1st (Good luck with that continuing).

So you have a 4th liner who gets the easiest possible starter role that somehow has the worst shot share of any forward on the team in every category that takes a ton of penalties, doesn't play special teams, and is not trusted to play in the third period in close games. But he hits a lot. This is not a guy who should be in the lineup against better teams at this point.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

CF% - Last
xGF% - Last
TOI - Last
Special Teams TOI - Last
Penalties Taken - Most
Hits - Most

So you have a 4th liner who gets the easiest possible starter role that somehow has the worst shot share of any forward on the team in every category that takes a ton of penalties, doesn't play special teams, and is not trusted to play in the third period in close games. But he hits a lot. This is not a guy who should be in the lineup against better teams at this point.

Im in the scratch Rempe for Chytil camp, but this is willfully ignoring what Rempe brings to the team. Every player, coach and fan knows his value goes beyond what his corsi is lol. I could certainly see him play in Games 1 & 2 when Lavi controls the matchup. Might get dicey with how fast the Canes play in Raleigh.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

CF% - Last
xGF% - Last
TOI - Last
Special Teams TOI - Last
Penalties Taken - Most
Hits - Most

I think Rempe makes sense against heavy teams like the Caps or Isles. Against a skilled skating team like the Canes, Chytil needs to be in the lineup..

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Im in the scratch Rempe for Chytil camp, but this is willfully ignoring what Rempe brings to the team. Every player, coach and fan knows his value goes beyond what his corsi is lol. I could certainly see him play in Games 1 & 2 when Lavi controls the matchup. Might get dicey with how fast the Canes play in Raleigh.
I don't necessarily disagree. The line's performance in game 1 was brilliant and kept us from being flat in that game. He's shown the ability to literally take opposing defensemen out of series.

That being said, I have to weigh that against a player who was pretty terrible at the hockey aspect for games 2-4, will take penalties, and will get just as many called on him for existing.

If we had no options, I wouldn't just sit here and complain about it, but we have to make a decision on Chytil at some point.

Reactions: McRanger92

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
I think you give him the first game at least to see how Carolina or whoever reacts/responds and adjust from there, obviously if he’s really hurting the team he should take a seat for a few but I’d like to see how his game affects their’s first

Reactions: makdeniss

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4