Player Discussion Matt Rempe - See Mod Note Post 769

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Wasn’t Rempe someone who everyone here was blasting as a draft pick and for the rangers giving him a contract and laughing at hearing the rangers really liked him as a prospect
Yes, they were blasting the front office for drafting a "non-prospect."

I have no problem taking swings on these behemoth-types in the 6th and 7th rounds. Crazy that we appear to have consecutive hits in the 6th rounds of 2019 and 2020.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yes, they were blasting the front office for drafting a "non-prospect."

I have no problem taking swings on these behemoth-types in the 6th and 7th rounds. Crazy that we appear to have consecutive hits in the 6th rounds of 2019 and 2020.

Eventually someone is going to pop a kid that size who puts it all together and ends up becoming a stud.

Bit early to say that those picks were hits. I feel good about Edstrom being a full time NHL player. The reach and wheels give him a nice profile as a quality 4th liner and PK'er. He's one of those guys who isn't just a good skater for his size, he's a good skater, period.

Its entirely fair to root for Rempe but he isn't in the same class. If he can do things well enough where he's able to take a regular shift that this level that would be a massive win because he is a player where there is an intimidation factor. Not because of his fists (people can decline to fight him) but when he hits you he's trying to play through you and your entire ancestral line - thats the kind of shit that adds up over a playoff series and leads to bad passes/turnovers.

Sucks that these guys have to play with Goodrow who is so woefully deficient at everything 5v5.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I'd rather Rempe get 4 mins in the NHL and learn how to deal with speed and quickness and talent at this level versus down in Hartford getting 6-8 mins with and against ECHL 4th liners.
Yeah. Another hfboards myth... Playing on the fourth line in the NHL is automatically some kind of cruel and unusual punishment.

Reactions: bhamill

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Apparently, Martin approached him and asked him if wanted to go during Sunday's game.

It's silly, but that type of thing could have an effect on Rempe sticking in this league.

It was very cool of Martin to give Rempe an opportunity to make his mark. I always respected him.
I think the quote was that Martin gave him the eye during the warmup.

Reactions: tlk

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
So, I thought his hit today was really bad at first. The more I look at it, yes the elbow comes out but I don't think he's intentionally trying to murder Bastian. He's just a massive, massive guy who is quite a good skater (at any size).

If he adds weight and keeps his skating, I could actually see him putting guys in the hospital at some point.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
So, I thought his hit today was really bad at first. The more I look at it, yes the elbow comes out but I don't think he's intentionally trying to murder Bastian. He's just a massive, massive guy who is quite a good skater (at any size).

If he adds weight and keeps his skating, I could actually see him putting guys in the hospital at some point.
Looked like his bicep is actually what caught Bastien in the head/face.

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
Wasn’t Rempe someone who everyone here was blasting as a draft pick and for the rangers giving him a contract and laughing at hearing the rangers really liked him as a prospect
Here as in the Rangers board? Not really. Most were pretty intrigued by his size and interested in seeing what he would become. Don’t think anyone shit on the pick as far as I can remember.

Reactions: tlk and egelband

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Need to pull up a bit and just shove the guy when he’s standing still with his head down, that’s just today’s NHL. I don’t think he intended to head shot him, but he saw someone in a vulnerable spot to get a good lick in and did just that, he just needs to be sure it’s not to the head like it was

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Need to pull up a bit and just shove the guy when he’s standing still with his head down, that’s just today’s NHL. I don’t think he intended to head shot him, but he saw someone in a vulnerable spot to get a good lick in and did just that, he just needs to be sure it’s not to the head like it was
I don’t remember Bastien standing still. Thought he was heading the opposite direction of Rempe. But yeah, Rempe’s going to have to learn to hold up some when it’s going to be dangerous. His first shift at MSG, Im sure the adrenalin was pumping.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
King

ZvG9Axx.png

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy

Lol he f***in' murdered Bastian, but I'm OK with it

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Nhl needs more players like rempe. The games like tonight are far more entertaining than the figure skating the league is turning into.

After watching the replay, is that even a penalty? Elbow stayed tucked, just caught bastian head down

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Nhl needs more players like rempe. The games like tonight are far more entertaining than the figure skating the league is turning into.

After watching the replay, is that even a penalty? Elbow stayed tucked, just caught bastian head down
I really didn’t think it was. But if they wanted to give a minor I wouldn’t have argued much.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To some degree Rempe's game reminds me of Derek Boogaard. Keeping in mind that Boogaard was never able to produce offense at any level----WHL, ECHL, AHL or NHL. Rempe might not have great production numbers but he does have some.....he's actually developing a game. Derek just never became a good hockey player even at bottom line level. That said he was a force of nature and almost immediately on entering the NHL. No one wins all their fights and now and again he didn't do well but he quickly became the guy to be most afraid of because he could hurt people not just fights but if he caught somebody with a hit like Rempe caught Bastian today it was pretty much the same result. Just ran right over the top of them.....and to some degree it's almost like having a nuclear weapon of greater force than just about anyone else.

Personally I didn't see anything really malicious with that hit today. I'm not even sure I would call it a penalty partly because Bastian didn't see it coming is why he got destroyed as bad as he did. To me that was at least partly on him for having bad on ice awareness which he did again in the second period when he got rocked again by Trouba.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I like Rempe as a player but that was a bad hit. He needs to play within himself a bit more. His size means he will never get the benefit of the doubt for a headshot. This hit felt a bit like Ryan Hollweg jumping off the bench and looking to hit anything and the last thing this league needs is a 6’7” Ryan Hollweg.

• Haha
Reactions: leetch99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad