Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I just wish they would hire Berube and get it over with, it's not like there are 15 other candidates by all accounts he's the guy so lets get on with it.
Could be that he isn't ready to commit yet. I'm guessing something will happen within the next week.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Could be that he isn't ready to commit yet. I'm guessing something will happen within the next week.
Nor should he be ready - seems like he's the big domino that everyone else is waiting for fall. He's probably never going to have this sort of interest / leverage again in his life, so fair play to him for trying to stretch it out and maximize his perceived worth currently (which I personally think is nuts).

Reactions: ACC1224

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A stronger voice is definitely needed. Going to be interesting to see what a new Coach can get out of these guys.
In fairness Marner has a past history of rebelling against strong management,

He didn't like when Lou Lam didn't give him all his rookie bonus in his ELC as Mitch believed he was entitled to. Complained publicly and then made Clueless Dubass on his next deal to make him right,

Marner certainly didn't like Mike Babcock style of coaching and motivation as he didn't get his way to play with Matthews, and didn't like the coach shared other info that Marner had provided the coach.

Remember Babcock buried Marner down the Leafs line-up trying to keep him away from tougher match-ups and a balanced Top 9 not top heavy Top 6.

Hyman --- Matthews -- Nylander
Marleau -- Kadri ------- Brown
JVR ------- Bozak ----- Marner

People forget one of Marner MOST productive playoff seasons came when Mike Babcock was his coach and they took Boston to 7 games in 2017-18. Where he had 2-7-9 points and +2 ..

1715869385167.png

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I just wish they would hire Berube and get it over with, it's not like there are 15 other candidates by all accounts he's the guy so lets get on with it.
Could Rod B be available if Carolina loses?
How about Lavy if NYR blow a 3-0 lead.

I wish Pat Burns was around to strangle this group.
Burns or Quinn.

No coincidence this was the last two successful Leaf coaches built around top goalies and gritty teams.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

He didn't like when Lou Lam didn't give him all his rookie bonus in his ELC as Mitch believed he was entitled to. Complained publicly and then made Clueless Dubass on his next deal to make him right,

Marner certainly didn't like Mike Babcock style of coaching and motivation as he didn't get his way to play with Matthews, and didn't like the coach shared other info that Marner had provided the coach.

Remember Babcock buried Marner down the Leafs line-up trying to keep him away from tougher match-ups and a balanced Top 9 not top heavy Top 6.

People forget one of Marner MOST productive playoff seasons came when Mike Babcock was his coach and they took Boston to 7 games in 2017-18. Where he had 2-7-9 points and +2 ..

View attachment 871561
He played years under Hunter and excelled. No one likes to play for an idiot like Babcock.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
whenever they put 'realistic' in the title, it never is.
they are mostly bad, and seriously, taking Kerfoot back in a Marner deal. (Kerfoot the Utah #5 rated prospect and a 2nd) realistically BAD
Wow these people are wacked in the head. The only way I'm dealing Marner is if we get a similar level player back and we don't have to retain. 1 for 1 to NJ for Timo Meier or something to that effect. The Dman we should get back for Marner other teams won't let go so that seems like a pipe dream. Give me another offensive talent and not magic beans and then I'm open to it. Marner is 27 and is a guaranteed 90+ point player. We need to stop the hysteria around him.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Oates is doing a whole lot of yapping in that clip.
A lot of whining about the powerless play, but nothing constructive.

I didn't hear anything about tougher matchups. Maybe the fact that Mitch plays with Matty and Willy plays with JT has more to do with the 'tougher matchups' than his personal performance. Watching the playoffs, the two players Boston was keying on were Matty and Willy (except on the PK where they keyed on JT because he was the easy one to get the puck off).

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

It's been quite a while since, but did he really complain publicly? I can't remember, and couldn't find anything suggesting he did - I thought the disagreement about bonuses only came out when Dreger was on the Darren Ferris Campaign Tour for the next deal

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
People need to realize we won’t win this trade, the return will not match the expectations I’m reading here. The circumstances of his preferences, his cap hit, his pending UFA, our position of weakness, we will be disappointed. You’re for sure losing the best player in this trade, so let’s accept this is an unfortunate situation we need to make the best out of, this isn’t some buffet like I read here, prepare to be underwhelmed.
I wouldn't underestimate a Mitch Marner on the open market. Its a dynamic situation and there will be a lot of gamesmanship at play. Leafs are in a tough spot no doubt but they may have more leverage than it seems. Could go a lot of different ways.

Reactions: myleafs

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
The Florida Panthers were "Pretenders" until they traded their soft but highly skilled forward Huberdeau that was coming off a season where he finished 2nd in scoring behind only McDavid.

View attachment 871547

Some people forget this, :wg:

Then they got a real playoff hockey player in Tkachuk and suddenly the Panthers have become "Contenders" and President trophy winners so not just regular season ONLY but also playoffs.
The Panthers did not turn into SCC and PT winners instantly after they got Tkachuk. You miss a couple of details.
- The Panthers almost missed the playoff last year (you forget their turnaround game that was against the Leafs, their HC was yelling at them at the bench after 1-3?? in the first 15 minutes?? and Tkachuk's dad just called the whole Panthers team soft a few days earlier)
- The Panthers were also 1-3 vs Boston in the 1st round last playoff

You are right though, after Huberdeau was gone and Tkachuk was here, somehow, Sam Reinhart and Sam Bennett started to play like a "bigger" player. Tre must believe he is on a Groundhog Day. He is back to deal with the same shxx again

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
A lot of whining about the powerless play, but nothing constructive.

I didn't hear anything about tougher matchups. Maybe the fact that Mitch plays with Matty and Willy plays with JT has more to do with the 'tougher matchups' than his personal performance. Watching the playoffs, the two players Boston was keying on were Matty and Willy (except on the PK where they keyed on JT because he was the easy one to get the puck off).
Mitch throwing his gloves mid-game because he's worried about what the newspaper will print is one of the dumber takes I've heard

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Leafs are keeping Matty and Willy and i am glad this assessment had been made .. they are our best 2 players who have well rounded skill sets (although I do worry both take too many games off) .. my guess is Woll is off da table too .. and i hope Benoit and McCabe are too .. those are da 5 guys who you build retooled team around if it was me .. add in Cowan, Holmberg, Knies and McMann .. then everyone else you look to trade to get better with .. for me I would resign Domi and Bert if possible .. and unless JT helps out on LTIR he will be on 3rd line .. but biggest changes required on this team are getting a bigger faster stronger D corps .. hopefully Rielly and Mitch can help get that accomplished .. there is a chance Tre can retool this summer and build us a better playoff type team

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

View attachment 871561

This is what happens when you give the kids the keys.

Mitch throwing his gloves mid-game because he's worried about what the newspaper will print is one of the dumber takes I've heard

Who needs a motivated highly determined commander of a man like Gary Roberts when you can have a guy that throws his gloves and cries in a penalty box.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
This is what happens when you give the kids the keys.

Who needs a motivated highly determined commander of a man like Gary Roberts when you can have a guy that throws his gloves and cries in a penalty box.

Gary would beat his ass if he was on the team. It would be a welcome change.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Flames didn't win the Tkachuk trade, but Weeger is a good return and Huberdeau should have been.

The biggest issue is the contract Huberdeau got from his GM.

View attachment 871542

I don't think any of the Double Digits will be off the team this year.

The new Coach will be the biggest change.
It's a tough example to use because the 120 point piece fell off a cliff, but at the time, the Flames got a staggering return for Tkachuk dollar for dollar, given the similar circumstances.

I wouldn't expect any of the players we might receive to get cut in half on their way here.

Reactions: ULF_55

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
You are right though, after Huberdeau was gone and Tkachuk was here, somehow, Sam Reinhart and Sam Bennett started to play like a "bigger" player. Tre must believe he is on a Groundhog Day. He is back to deal with the same shxx again
? Bennett has always played exactly how he is playing now. He certainly didn't need Tkachuk to make him play "bigger". Sam Reinhart's offensive production also has virtually nothing to do with Tkachuk (except maybe in relation to power play points, I guess). Reinhart's increase in production very nicely correlates with when he started playing with Barkov (Reinhart With Barkov Stats | StatMuse). To be honest, I'm pretty sure if you look at any player's stats with and without Barkov there will likely be a material difference. He makes everyone around him better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad