Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That Oates rant was so dumb. Don't know anything about him off the ice but maybe his intellect is on par with Marner's, who knows?

It's simple - do you care about regular season, or playoffs?

If the answer is regular season than trading him to make the team better would be so difficult we wouldn't even be talking about it, we'd just extend him.

If the answer is playoffs, you could give him away for nothing and the cap space alone would be more than enough to make the team better.

Yes he does have the NMC, glad to see you're on the ball! :)
Oates is a skills coach for many nhlers and is a regular on Kypreos’ show. He offers some pretty good insight that the average person wouldn’t know or think of. For him to know what they were talking about on the bench makes me think he was talking to Mitchys camp, which obviously makes Mitchy look even worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Do you see Nashville trading Askarov, though? They were trying to trade Saros because they had Askarov ready to take over

I don't think it makes sense for them.
if it doesnt make sense for them, how could it make sense for us to give up one of the best 200 foot players in the game for a goalie that always gets worse in the playoffs.
I thought thats why we were wanting to ship Marner out, so, rather than keeping the 'star' forward who actually has decent playoff stats. we grab a goalie a fringe playoff team wants to unload?
sure, that makes sense.
Saros would be a huge mistake.
the only goalie who has a history of bad playoffs I'd gamble on would be Sorokin, but, I'd be more interested in a Pulock package, unless Lou pulls a Lou and trades us Dobson.

Reactions: arso40

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
if it doesnt make sense for them, how could it make sense for us to give up one of the best 200 foot players in the game for a goalie that always gets worse in the playoffs.
I thought thats why we were wanting to ship Marner out, so, rather than keeping the 'star' forward who actually has decent playoff stats. we grab a goalie a fringe playoff team wants to unload?
sure, that makes sense.
Saros would be a huge mistake.
the only goalie who has a history of bad playoffs I'd gamble on would be Sorokin, but, I'd be more interested in a Pulock package, unless Lou pulls a Lou and trades us Dobson.
Fringe playoff team? That franchise’s on ice performance far exceeds anything the Leafs have done since 2000, maybe even expansion.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
People need to realize we won’t win this trade, the return will not match the expectations I’m reading here. The circumstances of his preferences, his cap hit, his pending UFA, our position of weakness, we will be disappointed. You’re for sure losing the best player in this trade, so let’s accept this is an unfortunate situation we need to make the best out of, this isn’t some buffet like I read here, prepare to be underwhelmed.

Flames didn't win the Tkachuk trade, but Weeger is a good return and Huberdeau should have been.

The biggest issue is the contract Huberdeau got from his GM.

1715865045883.png

I don't think any of the Double Digits will be off the team this year.

The new Coach will be the biggest change.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I wouldn't be against it because Tavares is coming off the books/

Tavares is the guy I'd let go, he's the guy I'd rather see get traded anyway because I'd rather keep the guy in his 20's over the guy closing in on his mid 30's..

Tavares would be much easier to replace than Marner
Would you give him a raise and an extension?

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Fringe playoff team? That franchise’s on ice performance far exceeds anything the Leafs have done since 2000, maybe even expansion.
lets see, they barely made the playoffs this year, and have either lost in the first round or not qualified every year since 2017-2018.
The Preds though have had some of the best defenses and goalies in the league, but, 'couldn't score in the playoffs'
We have had mediocre defense and mediocre goaltending and we lost because we 'couldn't score in the playoffs'
We have done as good as them in the playoffs with a much worse defense and goaltending situation, and everyone knows, offense goes down in the playoffs, unless you are in the Western Conference, where it seems they forgot about defense the past 6-7 seasons.
Flip the Leafs and Preds, and both teams likely go a lot farther in the playoffs.
Preds are built to play (defense minded) vs teams in the East, and Leafs are built to play teams in the West (why we had one of the best records ever vs the west this season)

Reactions: leafs in five

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
lets see, they barely made the playoffs this year, and have either lost in the first round or not qualified every year since 2017-2018.
The Preds though have had some of the best defenses and goalies in the league, but, 'couldn't score in the playoffs'
We have had mediocre defense and mediocre goaltending and we lost because we 'couldn't score in the playoffs'
We have done as good as them in the playoffs with a much worse defense and goaltending situation, and everyone knows, offense goes down in the playoffs, unless you are in the Western Conference, where it seems they forgot about defense the past 6-7 seasons.
Flip the Leafs and Preds, and both teams likely go a lot farther in the playoffs.
Preds are built to play (defense minded) vs teams in the East, and Leafs are built to play teams in the West (why we had one of the best records ever vs the west this season)
They had more regulation Ws than the Leafs and finished 3 points behind them.

Reactions: thewave

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
as opposed to trade him for magic beans? yeah the Leafs are in a strong cap situation now and it only gets better after next season.

I wouldn't mind seeing the group with a real coach and not an idiot.

Leafs have this year to be concerned about wrt the Cap.

I can see a raise being given. I'll laugh about it, I think he's been paid upfront, but it is ...

With the DDX4, they'll need some magic beans to sprout and the only shoots I can see which might just be forced into the line up are Grebyonkin, Cowan, Minten. Two of those can yo-yo, 1 is either junior or NHL, and he just pulled off a marner/McDavid in junior.

If they can get 3 ELSC players who can handle middle 6 roles ... the Cap issue will take care of itself.

Starting line up I expect to see Matthews, Nylander, Tavares and marner.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Spend 35 million on three players that have repeatedly shown a lack of leadership and accountability?

How many changes did the Canucks make after they changed the coach?

They added Zadorov and Lindholm after they turned the team around?

It isn't just the players that need their butt's kicked, and Keefe's already had his kicked, right out the door.

Leadership doesn't start on the ice.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
They had more regulation Ws than the Leafs and finished 3 points behind them.
key point is Saros led them to first round exits or missing the playoffs ...put him in our net behind a weaker defense, and we are no better. He looks like a great goalie, but, not when it counts, similar to Helly... best goalie in the league until the playoffs start. Sorokin wasnt even the playoffs starter (because of his playoff lack of success), and he's better than Saros.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Spend 35 million on three players that have repeatedly shown a lack of leadership and accountability?
You think fans and media are bad this year?
Lose in the first round again with a new coach and go ahead, ask for 12 million.
Won’t matter who’s fault it is.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lose in the first round again with a new coach and go ahead, ask for 12 million.

If its not winning. I am just hoping for a mass exodus of fans from the franchise. It will be the thing that saves the franchise in the end.

Purge the grifters and the drifters. Get rid of uncle Jim and your son in law. Cousin Kal. You know. Get that freaking house in order.

Reactions: IPS

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
How many changes did the Canucks make after they changed the coach?

They added Zadorov and Lindholm after they turned the team around?

It isn't just the players that need their butt's kicked, and Keefe's already had his kicked, right out the door.

Leadership doesn't start on the ice.
The hockey operation does have poor leadership and maybe the players were told to blame the media for not showing up in the playoffs.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If its not winning. I am just hoping for a mass exodus of fans from the franchise. It will be the thing that saves the franchise in the end.
If this did exist we wouldn’t be taking about changing the team for better playoff results. It would have been done because attendance would drain. It doesn’t, so that won’t happen.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
key point is Saros led them to first round exits or missing the playoffs ...put him in our net behind a weaker defense, and we are no better. He looks like a great goalie, but, not when it counts, similar to Helly... best goalie in the league until the playoffs start. Sorokin wasnt even the playoffs starter (because of his playoff lack of success), and he's better than Saros.
They’re going to trade Saros, I just hope Marner isn’t part of the return.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Flames didn't win the Tkachuk trade, but Weeger is a good return and Huberdeau should have been.

The biggest issue is the contract Huberdeau got from his GM.

View attachment 871542

I don't think any of the Double Digits will be off the team this year.

The new Coach will be the biggest change.
The Florida Panthers were "Pretenders" until they traded their soft but highly skilled forward Huberdeau that was coming off a season where he finished 2nd in scoring behind only McDavid.

1715867291978.png

Some people forget this, :wg: Marner has never had a 100 point regular season yet and his $10.9 mil is already +[ $1.5 mil more] more than Tkachuk makes @ $9.5 mil.

Then they got a real playoff hockey player in Tkachuk and suddenly the Panthers have become "Contenders" and "President Trophy Winners" so not just regular season ONLY but also playoffs.

If the Leafs could pull off a deal for Marner that brings in a true playoff performer that propels the Leafs forward many fans would be happy., Well at least those that cheer for the Crest on the front, and not those emotionally attached the name on the back of the Leafs jersey. IMO

PS. Treliving as Calgary GM just lost the 3rd leading scoring in the NHL Gaudreau to FA and forced to deal Tkachuk via player demand so acquiring Huberdeau and signing him to a deal other former Flames would not take to stay and play in Calgary. So someone has to get paid to stay in Calgary. BT hands somewhat tied by the hand he was dealt.. Huberdeau fall-off in play is not on the GM its on the player. :)

If Treliving had his way Tkachuk and Johnny Hockey Gaudreau would still be in Calgary and then he might also be still.

Last edited:

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

I can totally see this happening with Marner. Why would he care as long as he gets paid?

Reactions: ULF_55

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
as opposed to trade him for magic beans? yeah the Leafs are in a strong cap situation now and it only gets better after next season.

I wouldn't mind seeing the group with a real coach and not an idiot.
A stronger voice is definitely needed. Going to be interesting to see what a new Coach can get out of these guys.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
A stronger voice is definitely needed. Going to be interesting to see what a new Coach can get out of these guys.

I just wish they would hire Berube and get it over with, it's not like there are 15 other candidates by all accounts he's the guy so lets get on with it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Mixed results no doubt. They run the show. Marner whines to the media and through channels. I think there was some of that with AM and Babcock as well. He had to fly down south to say sorry.

Nylander seems reasonable and motivated to win here. Signed for 8, no tippy toeing around, must love the city and transit system.

Reactions: arso40 and ULF_55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad