Player Discussion Marner Talk - Fresh, insightful comments are welcome

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Trying to build a team around these 3 was never going to work. Add the overplays and it was curtains.

Tavares, Matthews and marner were paid to be the team leaders.
3 Double Digit player$.

Tier 2 players earned their keep.

This upcoming season 4 players will be paid near top of the league.

Really, really, really need a coach who can introduce some ELSC players into important positions.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Leafs could also take on an LTIR contract coming back a la Nathon Horton. Would likely need to have some cap hit coming back for another team to absorb Mitch 's AAV
The big draw with Horton was his deal not being insured. I can't imagine there are many of those kicking around now

Reactions: Kazparov and egd27

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's good to see the big guys get pissed off. But they need to take it out on the other team not each other.

Yeah, I find Matthews’ cool customer persona doesn’t work that well especially when the emotion shows up finally it’s unproductive.

All good if Matthews show that fire on the bench with Nylander, proceed to cross check Coyle into Swayman and score a nasty back breaker a la Sam Bennett… that would have been monster playoff reputation building greatness… but that in-fighting scene followed by leaving the series for the next 7 periods. It’s a good thing the Leafs as a team bailed him out to make it to Game 7…

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Yeah, I find Matthews’ cool customer persona doesn’t work that well especially when the emotion shows up finally it’s unproductive.
Too true.

When we were saying he has Captain material this wasn't what we had in mind.

Screenshot_2024-05-15-11-43-19~2.png

• Haha
Reactions: socko and ToneDog

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I don’t think Marner is a tradable asset. No GM is going to want him. Most likely scenario is that Toronto will have to add a sweetener to move his contract. Likely have to retain around $4 million on top of that.
I feel the exact opposite...in what world do the leafs have to add a sweetner and retain 4 m for marner? There will be teams lined up for him if he becomes available. Book it.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
He's one hell of a politician. It was a yes no question. Stupid me would have answered "No" but then again I would never have doubled and tripled down on them.
While I feel your disdain for Shanny I thought it was pretty obvious what was going on. Shanny did say that now in front of the media is not the time to point out specific players and the teams intentions, it wouldnt help them, which makes sense. What is he going to do, come out and say yea marner sucks and we want him gone? Would not help his trade value and its not professional. Ill give Shanny this summer and we will see what happens, then I will decide if I hate him or not. ftr....Im not a Shannyfan and have been very critical of him but in this case I believe they said what they needed to say without coming right out and saying it. Lets see if the actions line up.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
While I feel your disdain for Shanny I thought it was pretty obvious what was going on. Shanny did say that now in front of the media is not the time to point out specific players and the teams intentions, it wouldnt help them, which makes sense. What is he going to do, come out and say yea marner sucks and we want him gone? Would not help his trade value and its not professional. Ill give Shanny this summer and we will see what happens, then I will decide if I hate him or not. ftr....Im not a Shannyfan and have been very critical of him but in this case I believe they said what they needed to say without coming right out and saying it. Lets see if the actions line up.
I get it but moving a forward to fill a need at D should not reduce the value of said forward. Hopefully GMs interested in Mitch did not watch the Leafs/Bruins series. Burn all the tapes.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t think Marner is a tradable asset. No GM is going to want him. Most likely scenario is that Toronto will have to add a sweetener to move his contract. Likely have to retain around $4 million on top of that.

Leafs are struggling to get into the Top 8 teams in the league getting bounced most years in the first round. That means there’s at least 16 teams missing the playoffs who wish they were first round fodder, and another pool of 7 teams that are also first round losers who have different strengths and weaknesses as us.

That means there’s a whole league that could use Marner. Just doesn’t work for us because of the cap and bad history.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Given the Leafs history, I would have to say yes Marner is coming back and he'll probably even get an extension. The only reason to believe otherwise is Tre and he's only been here a year and he saw what happened to Dubas when he went against Shanahan. So it seems almost inevitable to me. And if/when it happens people on this board will try to convince you its not the end of the world. And they'll be right. It will just be the end of the Matthews led Leafs era.
You may be right but this years presser was different. Shanny was not his usual smug self. He looked like someone who knows his job is on the line now. Nothing about process and learning which is a huge difference from years past. Tre looked in charge and was saying all the things I wanted to hear. Again, talk is cheap but fingers crossed.

Reactions: socko

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Swap contracts --- Draisaitl ... marner

Can Leafs even decide to keep him with a raise?

I don't know how they can do it and make progress?

2025--->

Matthews - 13.2
marner - 11.6
Nylander - 11.5
Tavares - 6.9

I don't see how they build a team around that that would be any better than today?
They can't

$11M cap hit. No GM is taking that on.
Wanna bet?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner for Tage Thompson would be something else...one could only dream.
Some laughed at that two seasons ago. Tage did not have a good year last year but at his cap hit for the next 6 years I doubt Sabres do that. Tre needs to find a diamond in the rough when he deals Marner.

Said it before, I'd look to Utah who have many young up and comers. If only we could draft and develop like the Dallas Stars. No tax state and one hell of roster. They even found a competant goalie. Who does that work. LOL.

Seriously, who are the best dman and goalie this team has drafted since 1967? Pretty much says it all.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No retention right? The full AAV. What GM is crazy enough to take that on? Then the $14M that his dad wants for the extension.
Leafs can retain 50% for a year. Pretty sure Paul won't be asking for $14m unless it is to Alaska.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad