Player Discussion Marner Talk - Fresh, insightful comments are welcome

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Alleviated is a much better way to put it. I just think 3 games is a long time to miss due to pain. Karlsson played weeks for the Sens on one ankle. Forsberg was on death's door for the Avs. Lost his spleen.
You gotta realize that you're only as knowledgeable as the information the media feeds you. Nobody outside of the medical staff knows precisely what Nylander is dealing with and how it directly effected his play.

The safe answer is that if Nylander was actually good to play, he'd have played. He's shown zero indication otherwise in his career.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
You gotta realize that you're only as knowledgeable as the information the media feeds you. Nobody outside of the medical staff knows precisely what Nylander is dealing with and how it directly effected his play.

The safe answer is that if Nylander was actually good to play, he'd have played. He's shown zero indication otherwise in his career.
Fair enough. I'm just stuck in ruminating about "what if" because we were without a top 10 scorer for half the series.

Whacky5

Jun 9, 2019
Alleviated is a much better way to put it. I just think 3 games is along time to miss due to pain. Karlsson played weeks for the Sens on one ankle.
Dude get over it. Your trying to find excuses for why the team lost. How about the last 7 years? You keep pushing this. What are the excuses from last year? or the year before? Hey, how about that Montreal series? That one was a beaut.

Our defence sucked so did our goalies. We can't score in the playoffs. We kept running it back for so many years without any success. It's time for changes. Heck, if Matthews is not a playoff performer, lets move on.

Sick of being a laughing stock in the NHL. I want players that are hungry for the cup and not money. It's not fun anymore.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Dude get over it. Your trying to find excuses for why the team lost. How about the last 7 years? You keep pushing this. What are the excuses from last year? or the year before? Hey, how about that Montreal series? That one was a beaut.

Our defence sucked so did our goalies. We can't score in the playoffs. We kept running it back for so many years without any success. It's time for changes. Heck, if Matthews is not a playoff performer, lets move on.

Sick of being a laughing stock in the NHL. I want players that are hungry for the cup and not money. It's not fun anymore.
That is exactly what I'm pissed about too. Now a reoccurring theme before every big playoff series is going to be what if Willy has migraines again? We have the best medical staff in sports.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Alleviated is a much better way to put it. I just think 3 games is a long time to miss due to pain. Karlsson played weeks for the Sens on one ankle. Forsberg was on death's door for the Avs. Lost his spleen.

Could they see the puck?

People mistake migraine for headaches.

Headache <> Migraine

I think all the double digits will dress for the season.

There is a new member to the double digit club this upcoming season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Surprised no one has suggested yet that Marner gave Nylander migraines.

• Haha
Reactions: Metroid

Whacky5

Jun 9, 2019
That exactly what I'm pissed about too. Now a reoccurring theme before every big playoff series is going to be what if Willy has migraines again. We have the best medical staff in sports.
If Willy is made out of glass, ship him out too then. I guess we have to rebuild again? Shanahan and Dubas f***ed us fans over. Everyone was talking about when are the Leafs going to win but not only win but how many. It sucks. Wasted years, when we didn't need JT. It is what it is. It's time to do a major overhaul. First priorty is a new coach then a goalie. Start from there.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I have no idea right now. I'm sure I'll have a better idea at some point this summer.
Yes, I'm sure you'll "have a better idea" once he's extended or traded. Thanks for your input, feel free to go back to making snarky comments about people who have an opinion about Marner that doesn't jive with yours.

Reactions: arso40 and myleafs

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
That is exactly what I'm pissed about too. Now a reoccurring theme before every big playoff series is going to be what if Willy has migraines again? We have the best medical staff in sports.

Nylander has missed ~10 games combined over the past 5 years, and has been dealing with migraines for years.

He's quite durable.

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
Apparently ACC1224 last night
1715784600625.gif

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
If they wait til after or on July 1 to execute the deal then they can pay his final signing bonus and probably increase his value especially if you want to mix in a third or fourth team to retain on the contract and maximize value

Paralysis from analysis or as my old
man used to say and this is the PG version safe for here “stinking from thinking” and the whole organization currently stinks
Great phrase, even if it is the PG version

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Looked like both. And Marner being the main culprit. Matthews never played junior so how could Willy tell him to stfu this isn't Junior?
They all played junior. Thought the issue was a face off play that Nylander didn't follow the script so Matthews got upset.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
They all played junior. Thought the issue was a face off play that Nylander didn't follow the script so Matthews got upset.
" A product of the USA Hockey National Team Development Program in the United States Hockey League (USHL), Matthews played for the ZSC Lions of the Swiss National League before being drafted into the NHL in 2016, winning a Swiss Cup title that same year."

I was under the impression they were all complaining about passing plays and getting the puck on net and then Mitch threw his gloves down in disgust.

Reactions: arso40

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
" A product of the USA Hockey National Team Development Program in the United States Hockey League (USHL), Matthews played for the ZSC Lions of the Swiss National League before being drafted into the NHL in 2016, winning a Swiss Cup title that same year."

I was under the impression they were all complaining about passing plays and getting the puck on net and then Mitch threw his gloves down in disgust.
Yep, USHL is a junior league. They all played some form of junior, they didn't go from the womb to the NHL. (Queue the Marner is a baby cracks)
Theory was a set play on a PP that Nylander went off script and the puck ended up turned over, they were all frustrated by the lack of success.

Naturally, like most else, people took to blaming Marner for the interaction.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If Willy is made out of glass, ship him out too then. I guess we have to rebuild again? Shanahan and Dubas f***ed us fans over. Everyone was talking about when are the Leafs going to win but not only win but how many. It sucks. Wasted years, when we didn't need JT. It is what it is. It's time to do a major overhaul. First priorty is a new coach then a goalie. Start from there.
Trying to build a team around these 3 was never going to work. Add the overplays and it was curtains.

Reactions: Whacky5 and myleafs

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Yep, USHL is a junior league. They all played some for of junior, they didn't go from the womb to the NHL. (Queue the Marner is a baby cracks)
Good point same with the defaulting to heaping blame on Marner. The show I watched made it seem like the Junior comment from Nylander was aimed at Marner as he has a reputation for always bragging about his championships there.

It's good to see the big guys get pissed off. But they need to take it out on the other team not each other.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Good point same with the defaulting to heaping blame on Marner. The show I watched made it seem like the Junior comment from Nylander was aimed at Marner as he has a reputation for always bragging about his championships there.

It's good to see the big guys get pissed off. But they need to take it out on the other team not each other.
No argument there. It was nice to see Nylander show a bit of a pulse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad