Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 18, 2010
I think it's been repeated about 1000x but there's clearly other discussions and criticisms going on regarding other Leafs core players, read around the boards a bit.

You're seeing less of it because Matthews/Nylander faced injury issues in the playoffs, which naturally facilitates less discussion around them with another 1st round exit. Not sure why this is so hard to grasp for some.

Marner should've ate some bad clam chowder so people wouldn't insult his family.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
@Arzak

Tell me you don't watch the Devils without telling me you don't watch the Devils.

Zacha was most definitely a centre for many years in New Jersey. But you don't have to believe me. A quick look at his stats will confirm it.

Wingers don't take over 700 faceoffs a year.

Screenshot_20240612_114907_Brave.jpg

Reactions: arso40

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
We do have a tendency to make other goalies look like the first star.
It seems everyone is unbeatable where we are concerned.
its as simple as a bad coach...
i explained this many times, how all a teams need to do to beat the Leafs is double team Matthews, and clog the slot.
Keefe had no answer for that deployment, and never made an adjustment, and if you review every series loss, this is basically how they shut down our offense.
we pepper no chance shots from the outside, or pound away at the puck up against the goalies pads in too tight, so, shot totals get high, but the actual chances to score are slim.
So, all the other team needs to do is pressure our sucky D and wait for the inevitable turnover in the slot and score a 'soft' goal, where the goalie had no chance, but then blame the goalie anyways for not being able to make a save when we need it.

Reactions: 666 and sunstersun

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
i explained this many times, how all a teams need to do to beat the Leafs is double team Matthews, and clog the slot.
Keefe had no answer for that deployment, and never made an adjustment, and if you review every series loss, this is basically how they shut down our offense.
we pepper no chance shots from the outside, or pound away at the puck up against the goalies pads in too tight, so, shot totals get high, but the actual chances to score are slim.
So, all the other team needs to do is pressure our sucky D and wait for the inevitable turnover in the slot and score a 'soft' goal, where the goalie had no chance, but then blame the goalie anyways for not being able to make a save when we need it.

How many times did I watch the PP and say FFS that isn't working!

If I kept doing the wrong thing over and over again at work ...

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
How many times did I watch the PP and say FFS that isn't working!

If I kept doing the wrong thing over and over again at work ...
like the JT behind the back pass back from the side boards as soon as they entered the zone on the PP ...fail/repeat/fail/repeat
the players did what they were told(so, blame isnt on them), and it never worked, and the coaches never changed the plays

Reactions: arso40 and 666

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
don’t trust these players beyond the regular season dangles. I have stated in the past that I don’t believe in the core.
That includes Matthews and Nylander as well, (I don’t fully trust them either) they just happened to be signed already leaving Marner on the outside.

10 years of a rebuild later and we are having discussions we shouldn’t be having. Except we are. That’s not a good build.
:thumbu:

Yes to all.

Marner is on the outside.

Mitch: you can make yourself into a shit show and lower your value. Up to you. But we will place you in the lineup according to this rule: you aren’t a part of our long term plans. Say hi to PP2 and 3rd line duties

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
:thumbu:

Yes to all.

Marner is on the outside.

Mitch: you can make yourself into a shit show and lower your value. Up to you. But we will place you in the lineup according to this rule: you aren’t a part of our long term plans. Say hi to PP2 and 3rd line duties

NHL player X to NHL player Y, "Did you see what those b-todds in Toronto did to marner?"
NHL player Y, "Just brutal. Probably cost him a couple million. They offered me $7 million. Signed yesterday."

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
When you are handing out big dollar, long term contracts, you have to have a level of trust in what the player has besides skill. Skill isn’t unique, all 16 teams in the playoffs have someone equal to us in skill or they wouldn’t be there. What else does it have, what critical position is it (center,D and goalie taking priority over wingers) and what is the sample size.

I don’t trust these players beyond the regular season dangles. I have stated in the past that I don’t believe in the core.
That includes Matthews and Nylander as well, (I don’t fully trust them either) they just happened to be signed already leaving Marner on the outside.

10 years of a rebuild later and we are having discussions we shouldn’t be having. Except we are. That’s not a good build.

Yep. The sooner management gets Marner and Tavares off the books, the better.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
@Arzak

Tell me you don't watch the Devils without telling me you don't watch the Devils.

Zacha was most definitely a centre for many years in New Jersey. But you don't have to believe me. A quick look at his stats will confirm it.

View attachment 881904

No he wasn't, never played C in NJ or his first year as a Bruin.

What is so hard to understand? :D

For the record yes, I watched NJ closely the years when they drafted him as a winger and played him as a winger.

Plus it's a not a f*cking secret he never played C :D, you are a perfect example of someone pretending his opinion can change reality. This was his first season playing C.

Not to mention, the table you provided is garbage as evidence of Zacha playing C. He took the same amount of faceoffs last year in NJ and first in Boston, surely Krejci wasn't playing W to Zacha C in your head.

Again none of it is debatable or new, secret information. The only thing you proved is that you have no idea how many face-offs a wing can take.

Still unsure about Zacha ever playing C for NJ ? Check game logs :) instead of interpreting random stats your bizzaro way.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
We do have a tendency to make other goalies look like the first star.
It seems everyone is unbeatable where we are concerned.

treliving did say in the locker clean out interview that there seems to be a tendency of Leafs making other goalies look like vezina caliber goalies which will be addressed

lets see if it does ;)

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
@Arzak

View attachment 881904

^^hh tell me you don't watch hockey at all without telling me you not watching hockey at all ! ^^

No judgment, miss-interpreting stats instead of watching the game must be fun too ! Quite a few of you doing it these days !

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
But seriously that gif of the dude on a motorcycle incline pressing a bar with weights is insane. The core strength, no helmet, balance, etc. Dude is risking his life to help trade Marner apparently.
Give credit to kB for posting that religiously after every Leafs win.

But yeah that man is on alot of biker crank cause that's not normal.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Where are the other 11 million dollar guys while this is happening?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad