Marner has reportedly hired private security and is refusing to speak with some members of the media

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The noise around Marner will soon subside. The Leafs will hire their new coach and fans will be excited about the new guy. A couple new players will be brought into the club. Fans will see them as good fits. Next season will start and Marner will put up points and the Leafs will win games. Fans will be happy.
This whole ‘Marner is the problem’ will pass.

lol please. "Leaf fan dumb" posts like this are annoying. Marner has been shit on heavily since he negotiated his last contract. Sure we are wowed by him all the time with what he does, but people are quick to take wind out of the sails by talking about his playoff performances.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Is getting involved in online poasting wars included in their standard service or does Marner have to pay extra for that ?

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
All of that depends really. we generally love and remember all ex-leafs. did you know even after Sundin refused to accept a trade and saying he wanted to retire a Leaf. then signs with VAN like midseason. when he played in Toronto again he got a near 5min standing ovation. I bet even Aki Berg could come and get cheered now.

Marner asked for the world and we gave him it, he is the writer of his own misfortune. I wish him all the luck in the world, hate to see him go but change is needed so cya bud

didnt say it was a good idea to do it. also little frustration in the response but what u said would obviously happen and be the smartest move
Strongly disagree, The team was poorly built and for some reason he is the fall guy.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Strongly disagree, The team was poorly built and for some reason he is the fall guy.
It's not "some reason" He doesn't compete in the playoffs, he plays scared, he refuses to go for pucks in the corner, he refuses to battle, he refuses to take any accountability for his performance, he demands the sun and the moon. Stat watchers will tell you "He has more points than Matthews in the playoffs!" But don't know how much he padded his stats in a few high scoring games.

He can't be one of your top guys/leaders. If he was in a locker room where he isn't wearing a letter and is maybe the #3/#4 "guy" on the team, I can see him excelling.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Well Marner is a wuss and FAR from a playoff player. Matthews and Nylander are already extended. Id say right now he's more so the odd man out over the fall guy.

This core has been together for 8 years now. all they managed to win was a single series and 5 wins total. they just don't work.

Reactions: saffronleaf

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
It's not "some reason" He doesn't compete in the playoffs, he plays scared, he refuses to go for pucks in the corner, he refuses to battle, he refuses to take any accountability for his performance, he demands the sun and the moon. Stat watchers will tell you "He has more points than Matthews in the playoffs!" But don't know how much he padded his stats in a few high scoring games.

He can't be one of your top guys/leaders. If he was in a locker room where he isn't wearing a letter and is maybe the #3/#4 "guy" on the team, I can see him excelling.

Well Marner is a wuss and FAR from a playoff player. Matthews and Nylander are already extended. Id say right now he's more so the odd man out over the fall guy.

This core has been together for 8 years now. all they managed to win was a single series and 5 wins total. they just don't work.

you both understand that even if he is gone it wont change much right?

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
so what do you suggest?
I mean if they can all work together to get Marner to another team that would be a big step in the right direction.

The real move forward for The Leafs would be next summer when JT is gone too.

that is so much cap space to rework the team. This is all assuming they make smart moves once the cap space is available. Given their recent record I dont have much faith in that but I guess time will tell.

Also for the love of god would someone fire Shanny already....I mean seriously....

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I mean if they can all work together to get Marner to another team that would be a big step in the right direction.

that is so much cap space to rework the team. This is all assuming they make smart moves once the cap space is available. Given their recent record I dont have much faith in that but I guess time will tell.

Also for the love of god would someone fire Shanny already....I mean seriously....

Ya we know this already.

What you’re failing to understand from fans who watch Marner every time he steps on the ice, is that he doesn’t fit here anymore.

It’s not that he’s the “fall guy”. It’s that he wrote cheques during his last contract negotiation that he can’t cash. His act has worn tiresome on fans.

Marner is up for contact after next season. We want to move on now. I haven’t seen a single leaf fan that even expects much of anything back in a Marner trade. It will be addition by subtraction, and the leafs will be better for it.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com

I figured they build around Matthews and Nylander. try to trade Marner/Tavares and if u cant. let them walk. but yeah I agree with everything you are saying

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I would be surprised if that's true.

Tavares goes for a walk every day through Toronto, lives downtown. Nylander takes the subway to games. Marner is scared of the public? I guess it's possible he has anxiety from being robbed at gunpoint, which is fair, but would be quite the exaggeration to blame that on the media.
and don't forget about Kessel and the hot dog cart!

1715720631831.png

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Ya we know this already.

What you’re failing to understand from fans who watch Marner every time he steps on the ice, is that he doesn’t fit here anymore.

It’s not that he’s the “fall guy”. It’s that he wrote cheques during his last contract negotiation that he can’t cash. His act has worn tiresome on fans.

Marner is up for contact after next season. We want to move on now. I haven’t seen a single leaf fan that even expects much of anything back in a Marner trade. It will be addition by subtraction, and the leafs will be better for it.
I fully understand all of it but you seem to forget that the same knucklehead is still in charge of it all. I wouldn't exactly have high confidence in that.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Total anonymity down south, regardless of winning or losing.

So true, although I don't know about up north. I use to see Scott Hannan at our local ACE hardware store back in his final years as a Shark. Everyone left him alone in the store like he was an average joe.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Kessel needed to go he was never gonna be the guy and the Leafs were going into a rebuild, the Kadri trade was horrendous only due to the fact that Kadri played with an edge which is what Toronto needs/ed, he was on a good contract.

Marner isn't on a good contract, he is entirely redundant in Toronto (soft skill guy) and unlike Kadri who only played 19 playoff games in Toronto has played nearly 60.

The Leafs don't even need a haul for him, just having his cap space is enough.
Marner still has to agree.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
so what do you suggest?
Tear down and rebuild is the only viable option. I know they won't do it, but the culture of this team is awful (entitled, soft) and you need a wholesale change from top to bottom to cleanse that. I know it's tough to trade a perennial 60 goal guy, but Matthews has to go too, if they want to win. He's not a winner or a leader. They've sold this plan to their fans for so long now that they won't dare go to a full rebuild. But that's the only choice. Of course, MLSE is about making money, not winning, and Matthews, Marner et al, sell lots of jerseys.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
So true, although I don't know about up north. I use to see Scott Hannan at our local ACE hardware store back in his final years as a Shark. Everyone left him alone in the store like he was an average joe.
Might not be the case with a literal GOD walking thru the store.

• Haha
Reactions: saffronleaf

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Tear down and rebuild is the only viable option. I know they won't do it, but the culture of this team is awful (entitled, soft) and you need a wholesale change from top to bottom to cleanse that. I know it's tough to trade a perennial 60 goal guy, but Matthews has to go too, if they want to win. He's not a winner or a leader. They've sold this plan to their fans for so long now that they won't dare go to a full rebuild. But that's the only choice. Of course, MLSE is about making money, not winning, and Matthews, Marner et al, sell lots of jerseys.
I think Id rather build around Matthews and Nylander for another few years over going that route. it took a very very long time to even make the playoffs and a total rebuild can potentially keep us down for another 10+ years and there's no saying that would be any different either

we know building around 4 players making that much doesnt work but I dont see how they have to dump Matthews and Nylander along with the rest of them

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Is there anything beyond that one Nylander "don't be a baby" moment on the bench in the playoffs to suggest the core rest of the team wants him gone or thinks he's a problem?

For all the clamoring, I feel like I haven't heard anyone on the team say a peep about him, or make general comments like "Some guys need to learn to step up and fill the role they filled in the regular season."

This team actually feels pretty tight (from an outside perspective of course) considering all the drama and criticism. Matthews made it seem like it's an incredibly tight group after the season was over, saying something along the lines of "I know we always say that kind of thing, but we really mean it, this is a tight group" or something to that effect.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I'm not saying it's deserved, but when you absolutely bend the organization over in contract negotiations, and follow it up with 5 years of some of the worst playoff performances ever, I find it hard to have sympathy
nailed it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad