Proposal: Marner for Byram

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Yes the leafs will also need a 2C to be a real contender but for shure but IMHO they also lack a playdriving nr 1D like Heiskanen, Makar or Fox.

Buffalo have already signed Dahlin/Power long term maybe there is a deal there to be had..

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Buffalo is one of the few teams that really doesn't need Marner. Savoie is basically another Marner (if he reaches his ceiling), or more realistically, a Marner-lite. Buffalo's biggest need that they don't have a prospect coming for is a top pairing or at least top 4 right hand D to play with Power that can provide good defensive play. They also need a goalie good enough to win them a cup, but between Luukkonen and Levi, they might already have that. Time will tell.

The only other team need I can really think of would be a high end power forward type winger. They have Tuch already, but in an ideal and perfect world, they'd have a young prospect coming along to replace him in a few years. Buffalo has most of their ducks in order, as compared to the rest of the league. They really just need the RHD to play with Power, and to translate their talent into winning games.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Buffalo is one of the few teams that really doesn't need Marner. Savoie is basically another Marner (if he reaches his ceiling), or more realistically, a Marner-lite. Buffalo's biggest need that they don't have a prospect coming for is a top pairing or at least top 4 right hand D to play with Power that can provide good defensive play. They also need a goalie good enough to win them a cup, but between Luukkonen and Levi, they might already have that. Time will tell.

The only other team need I can really think of would be a high end power forward type winger. They have Tuch already, but in an ideal and perfect world, they'd have a young prospect coming along to replace him in a few years. Buffalo has most of their ducks in order, as compared to the rest of the league. They really just need the RHD to play with Power, and to translate their talent into winning games.
Is there a particular player you’re targeting? Maybe there’s a three team trade to be had here.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Let’s suspend disbelief for a moment and assume that there’s mutual interest between Marner and the Sabres to premise a trade on. Even then, Buffalo just got Byram after spending like 2 years trying to add a top 4 defenseman. They’re not going to turn around and immediately trade him.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

Marner already had two 60 point NHL seasons at Savoie's current age. Let's be realistic here.

I can understand your point about the RHD being a priority, it definitely is.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Hmm just acquired, long term control, for expiring playoff choker. Pass. Sabres do not need any wingers. Even if they buyout skinner. They can move one to upgrade a spot but it won't be for Marner.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Marner already had two 60 point NHL seasons at Savoie's current age. Let's be realistic here.

I can understand your point about the RHD being a priority, it definitely is.
He's referring to Savoie as a future playoff contributor with the Sabres, not a regular season assist machine off of Matthews and their PP with Matthews, Nylander and Tavares.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
He's referring to Savoie as a future playoff contributor with the Sabres, not a regular season assist machine off of Matthews and their PP with Matthews, Nylander and Tavares.
Marner had 19 of 59 assists on the power play, thank you very much. Hardly a power play merchant.

Commenting on the future playoffs for the Buffalo sabres, might want to consider getting good regular season players too considering they are approaching 15 years of the biggest game of the season being when the Leafs visit Keybank

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Marner had 19 of 59 assists on the power play, thank you very much. Hardly a power play merchant.

Commenting on the future playoffs for the Buffalo sabres, might want to consider getting good regular season players too considering they are approaching 15 years of the biggest game of the season being when the Leafs visit Keybank
Any assists on Matthews goals?

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

We love it when the Leafs come to Keybank!! Did you hear the Sabres play the Leafs goal song after the Sabres scored their 9th goal in a 9-3 December win this year?? Instant classic.

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
It’s kinda sad and mostly funny watching Leaf nation bend over trying to not, well, get bent over in a Marner trade.

I’m not going to pile on the player. he’s good and he has value.

But finding a team with the space for that contract also in a place where they are saying “yeah, that’s the piece we need” is going to be tough on its own.

odds of finding that team and also having them willing and able to actually give up a roster player exactly fitting the profile of what the Leafs need? Don’t see it happening.

If it’s anything other than a mix of prospect and cap dumps, I’ll be shocked.

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Marner is a one year rental. Amazing player but I don't see a fit with the sabres unless it's a fire sale.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Marner is a one year rental.
This isn't necessarily true. Marner, due to his NMC, can basically choose which team he wants to go play for. One would assume that he would also be interested in signing long-term with that same team. Not for sure but, it's fairly likely. If the team Marner wants to play for also wants to keep Marner long-term, this might end up being a sign-and-trade situation, like Tkachuk to Florida (for Huberdeau plus). In that case, Toronto is trading Marner with a long term contract and can ask for more value in the trade.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This isn't necessarily true. Marner, due to his NMC, can basically choose which team he wants to go play for. One would assume that he would also be interested in signing long-term with that same team. Not for sure but, it's fairly likely. If the team Marner wants to play for also wants to keep Marner long-term, this might end up being a sign-and-trade situation, like Tkachuk to Florida (for Huberdeau plus). In that case, Toronto is trading Marner with a long term contract and can ask for more value in the trade.
I don't think Leaf fans are going to like the return on Marner. I don't think he gets more than Guentzel did. If they're expecting a Byram type player in return they'll be very sad.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It appears Savoie understand how to produce in playoffs......
I don't think Leaf fans are going to like the return on Marner. I don't think he gets more than Guentzel did. If they're expecting a Byram type player in return they'll be very sad.

The problem is much bigger because of cap. Who out there would have space.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Take away his draft position,Byram hasn’t really been great and I don’t see massive potential here either

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
The problem is much bigger because of cap. Who out there would have space.
I'm not saying these are realistic proposals, or deals that teams would want to make, but these show that you can make the cap work for several teams...

( trades are not straight up... Leafs or other team are adding picks prospects )

BUF - Skinner + Byram
DET - Copp + Husso
MTL - Anderson + Matheson
CAR - Necas + Kotkaniemi
CBJ - Laine + Provorov/Gudbranson
NYI - Pulock + Nelson/Pageau
NYR - Trouba + Kakko
PHI - Ristolainen + Konecny
PIT - Erik Karlsson
WAS - Oshie + Jensen
CHI - Seth Jones
DAL - Jamie Benn
MIN - Spurgeon + Foligno
NAS - McDonagh + Saros
STL - Parayko + Hayes
WPG - Ehlers + Pionk
CGY - Kuzmenko + Markstrom
LAK - Pierre-Luc Dubois
SEA - Bjorkstrand + Larsson
VAN - Hronek + Mikheyev

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Let’s suspend disbelief for a moment and assume that there’s mutual interest between Marner and the Sabres to premise a trade on. Even then, Buffalo just got Byram after spending like 2 years trying to add a top 4 defenseman. They’re not going to turn around and immediately trade him.
Weird it took this long for common sense to make the thread. Buffalo literally just got Byram. You don’t see big names flipped this quick.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
How close to dead last is Buffalo on the list of clubs to which Marner would agree to waive his NMC for a trade? I'm not saying it's No. 1, but top five is probable. NMC and traded to Buffalo rarely go hand in glove.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad