Marchand says injuring opponents is part of the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Sure, the game will be much better once McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Heiskanen, Tkachuk, Swayman, Aho, Panarin and Hughes are hurt and "taken out", so the plugs can get more icetime.

I don't get fans applauding to this.

This bush league still don't understand they have to protect their star players against this Neanderthal mentality.

I don't have an issue with the "hurting" part of Marchand's comment. I have an issue with the "taking out" part. This is just wrong.

This league is not and never has been about protecting their stars.

Stars should protect themselves.

What Bennett did to Marchand? Yeah, more stars should do that.

You want all the money and fame and glory that comes with being a champion, fine - it’s not incumbent on the league or the refs to make it any easier for you than it absolutely has to be.

And if they didn’t do it for Mario, why would you ever expect they’d do it for you?

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Of course, what Marchand says is quite true. What is truly puzzling is the people that watch players get hurt by other players but are very quick to say it was an "accident" or there was "no intent" on cheap shot plays. Get real.

Six or seven years ago, Crosby went to the net vs. Washington in the playoffs and Ovechkin hit him in the head with his stick which threw him off-balance into Matt Niskanen who finished him off with a cross-check to the face. And there were pages upon pages of posts here saying that it was unintentional and just happenstance. Please.

When the opportunity presents itself, and knocking the other guy out helps your team win, it happens frequently. Let us not deny that. How many series did the Devils win after Scott Stevens laid out the top line of the other team? Is it right? That's the question we should be asking.

My Best-Carey

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
On any given body check, your ideal result is to hit a guy so hard that it takes him out for the rest of the game, and makes him hesitate the next time he sees you coming.

Dishing out pain (to an extent) is part of physical sports like hockey. Though no one should ever intend to injure anyone to a point where they can't play the next day IMO. That's some Tonya Harding stuff... lol
What difference is there between the two? The ideal result in any hit is changing possession so your team can go on offense. It's why I didn't like most of Kronwall's hits when he went ass over teakettle Because he was taking himself out of the play just as much as the guy he was hitting. Stay planted so you can take possession.

Reactions: heksagon

Mongo

Mongo likes candy!
Nov 27, 2008
Vermont
Dishing out pain (to an extent) is part of physical sports like hockey. Though no one should ever intend to injure anyone to a point where they can't play the next day IMO. That's some Tonya Harding stuff... lol
But this stuff happens often enough and will continue to happen until the league decides to put a stop to it. The juice is worth the squeeze most of the time.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
It was true when we were 13yo kids trying to win our rec league championships. I don't even see this as saying the quiet part out loud. It's part of being competitive and if you aren't doing everything in your power to win, and doing it within the rules, then you shouldn't be there.

These are athletes at the TOP of their game. Anything less than full commitment is a waste of every ones time.

Win or GTFO of my way.
It’s amazing that so many seem to be taken aback by it.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
What difference is there between the two? The ideal result in any hit is changing possession so your team can go on offense. It's why I didn't like most of Kronwall's hits when he went ass over teakettle Because he was taking himself out of the play just as much as the guy he was hitting. Stay planted so you can take possession.

Have you ever strained your neck after sleeping poorly and then spend a whole day or 2 not being able to turn your head to the left or right without twisting your whole body?

Have you ever sprained a joint in your body badly enough that it required surgery?

Hurt is what you feel - the pain level that makes it uncomfortable to do relatively routine actions.

Injured is a diagnosis after some sort of debilitating limitation. Generally, injured is a temporary disability. You are unable to perform the same routine actions.

That's the difference.

The intent in almost all body-check is to hurt the other player. It may make them alter their actions on the ice, but it's not meant to prevent them from playing for weeks on end as they recover from a serious debilitating condition you caused them.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
But he then follows it up with, 'the more guys you take out,' which implies injuring.

But he did say that. His very next sentence
Implied shimplied. Some are acting like he’s saying his goal is to end careers. He’s just saying that everybody is hitting to hurt.

Reactions: nORRis8

Mongo

Mongo likes candy!
Nov 27, 2008
Vermont
There is a difference between landing the hardest legal check you can and some of the other things that happen that are well outside of the rulebook.

To me, knocking a guy out with a legal hard check is fine, knocking the guy out with a punch (outside of a fight- which I understand is technically still outside the rules since it's a penalty, but let's not get into semantics) to me is not okay.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Implied shimplied. Some are acting like he’s saying his goal is to end careers. He’s just saying that everybody is hitting to hurt.
This is a result of the truly idiotic "player safety" that sort of exists in this league.
Fan960 in Calgary were talking about the Bennett cheapshot and they said it was just a 2 minute roughing call if caught.
Perhaps.
But after no suspension? The dude missed 7 periods of hockey due to the ""roughing"" call.

McDavid gets crosschecked in the back and the throat and somehow simultaneously and it's just a one game suspension plus the guy that that did it was smiling when doing.
2 games for the crosscheck and one more for the dumbass grin.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
And this also goes back to everyone bitching about 'why is there a fight after a clean hit'....

The point of hitting is to seperate the player from the puck, not the player from his head.

Fan love the 'big' hits. Players love throwing them.

But the 'big' hits, legal or not, are far beyond seperating player from puck.

Blow someone up with a clean hit, players know what its about.

Playoffs... multiply it by 100

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
Despite this fact, most guys play within the limits and aren’t trying to injure each other. For instance, you could get a big advantage by taking out a hot goalie, but we rarely see that. I think a combination of Mutually Assured Destruction, fighting, sportsmanship, supplemental discipline and stigma prevent it.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
JFC

It’s sport, not the damn Coliseum in ancient Rome.

If people are trying to injure each other out there, then the rules clearly arent being enforced and the penalties for violations arent nearly strong enough.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Well, yeah.

You ramp up physicality not because you've stored all that energy and you're about to reach critical mass, but rather you're hoping you hurt your opponent, whether it be a minor inconvenience pain, or they have to miss periods, or games.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Of course, what Marchand says is quite true. What is truly puzzling is the people that watch players get hurt by other players but are very quick to say it was an "accident" or there was "no intent" on cheap shot plays. Get real.

Six or seven years ago, Crosby went to the net vs. Washington in the playoffs and Ovechkin hit him in the head with his stick which threw him off-balance into Matt Niskanen who finished him off with a cross-check to the face. And there were pages upon pages of posts here saying that it was unintentional and just happenstance. Please.

When the opportunity presents itself, and knocking the other guy out helps your team win, it happens frequently. Let us not deny that. How many series did the Devils win after Scott Stevens laid out the top line of the other team? Is it right? That's the question we should be asking.

My Best-Carey
Most people defend their own.

Tribe metality at its finest.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
JFC

It’s sport, not the damn Coliseum in ancient Rome.

If people are trying to injure each other out there, then the rules clearly arent being enforced and the penalties for violations arent nearly strong enough.
The f*** is this. Thats what you took from that interview?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

He would go on to chop off Marc Methot's finger "accidentally".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad