LW Matvei Babenko - Tolpar Ufa, MHL (2024 Draft)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
another Matvei to look out for... too bad we won't get to see him in international tournaments this year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wonder how big he'll be by the time his draft rolls around, kid could be a tank.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

6'3 198 lb kid, scored 22 + 10 in 40 games in the MHL regular. Now he's 4+4 in 9 playoffs games (the 9th game isn't over yet).

Reactions: BMann

biscuits and guitar

Jan 5, 2023
Was intrigued by his statline (yh there's nothing crazy, but still pretty good for a 17 y.o. in MHL) and decided to attend his last game. What I can point out is:
1) He looks physically well developed, has a good size.
2) He's not overplaying shifts. Very often he was the first one to go for a change among his linemates. Idk if that's about his discipline or some kind of stamina issues
3) Dude's got a really nice shot and he's a go-to option in PP
4) He's a fan favorite)
Hopefully I'll see him playing in the KHL next season)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevins and Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Could he be a potential riser? Does playing in the KHL help/hurt his draft stock if he is playing in a limited role?

dyldude

Nov 19, 2019
Could he be a potential riser? Does playing in the KHL help/hurt his draft stock if he is playing in a limited role?
He’s looking like he’ll project as just an off-puck scorer. Really good shot, plays physically, can drop the shoulder every once in a while, but he’s so limited by his hands, skating, and sense in the KHL that he hasn’t really made an impact. I can’t see him rising at this rate, maybe VHL would be better for him.

Reactions: Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He’s looking like he’ll project as just an off-puck scorer. Really good shot, plays physically, can drop the shoulder every once in a while, but he’s so limited by his hands, skating, and sense in the KHL that he hasn’t really made an impact. I can’t see him rising at this rate, maybe VHL would be better for him.
Got it... with the size and scoring was not sure of what type or projection we were looking at... sounds like more of a complementary player as far as projecting to the NHL?

dyldude

Nov 19, 2019
Got it... with the size and scoring was not sure of what type or projection we were looking at... sounds like more of a complementary player as far as projecting to the NHL?
Yeah, he's not really a driver and I don't see him becoming one given his hands/skating and track record. However, if he can work on his movement and off-puck timing, there could be a seriously dangerous goal scorer here.

Reactions: Frk It

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
He looks faster now. Quicker in rush plays than before. He's a lot more aggressive in his skating, especially off the faceoff. I've noticed a few times that he's become the guy who challenges the puck first when Ufa loses a faceoff. Seems he's trying to play a more mobile style, you can tell he's pushing himself a bit. Hope it's a sign of progress.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
anyone see this guy in the 2nd half?

i have no idea what he's saying in this interview, but seems like a likeable kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad