Less center ice camera means less entertainment

blueinbigd

Mar 8, 2012
I want to see one of these games where the tv director decides to show a hockey game instead of just showing hockey players.
I dont need to see players hobbling off the ice. I dont need to see an incessant amount of close ups of a player skating with the puck. Sick of missing beautiful passes through the neutral zone because of that robo cam at center ice, Tired of seeing the back of the referee from the goal line camera at least ten times a game. I dont get it. Every other sport I have ever watched on tv the primary focus is on the play. NBC did a great job focusing on the game.
If this trend continues my loving hockey days are over

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
The camera is a blur coming up the ice because they removed the multiple camera angles (probably to save money). It makes for sore eyes watching a game.....

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The camera work has been extraordinarily terrible. Anytime they have an excuse to zoom in on a player they use it, making it very disorienting to follow the game itself.

They could just have a single camera that shows a wide view of the play itself and save the closeups for replays.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Jeremy Hronek

Aug 18, 2009
chilliwack , bc
Sportsnet has the games on like 5 channels why can't they provide different angles on some? Have one that is just the broadcast camera during play and others that are more dynamic.

What I want is a minimap in the corner showing the full ice and little coloured dots.
Yes, the league has the technology. I wish they would do some more experimenting maybe on like Sportsnet 360 or something.

Reactions: ZJuice

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
I'd like a gyro-stablized camera inside the puck that's always pointed in the direction of puck movement/flight.

Also, helmet cams for every player that we can select/deselect live or for replay.

I find the ones from behind the net particularly useless and annoying.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
My main concern is the moving ads on the boards during gameplay.

I didn't hate them at first but they are getting increasingly obtrusive and are affecting my ability to enjoy a game.

There are other sports when you see moving ads during play like soccer, but at least those are outside of the boundaries of play. It doesn't work as well in hockey because the the boards are part of the play, and the ads wrap around the entire perimeter.

I know the ads aren't going away but there needs to be some compromise such as not allowing the boards to be dynamic during gameplay.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
We need jump cuts during games. Whenever the puck moves around during a PP the camera should cut a minimum of 30 times as each player maneuvers

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
Camera coverage is yet another issue that the NHL front office has failed to mandate. Bobble-head Bettman has relinquished his authority and responsibility over the presentation of the NHL product to a bunch of tech nerds who know precious little about the sport.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I'd like a gyro-stablized camera inside the puck that's always pointed in the direction of puck movement/flight.

Also, helmet cams for every player that we can select/deselect live or for replay.

I find the ones from behind the net particularly useless and annoying.
That would be intense. Watching hockey from the view of the puck in "DBOX" seating would be fun once in a while

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I want an overhead behind the net view that only goes one direction so I get confused which way I’m supposed to be pushing the directional stick to shoot as the periods change

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
this might be what life long hockey fans want. But a casual will probs may need a massive amount of angle changes to keep attention. The game will never translate to tv the way it’s consumed live. Basketball and football are both better to watch on tv (outside of atmosphere). Hockey is unique in that it is truly a in person sport

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
I hate when they zoom in from the center view to a close up when play transitions deep into an offensive zone. I feel like the feeds are just slightly out of sync so you miss a fraction of second.

Like a good example is the Rempe on TVR hit. You see Rempe skating in, then all of a sudden he's hitting TVR but the time is distorted in such a way that you can't really tell how fast he's going or how far he travelled. I don't, might just be me getting old and slow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad