Leon Draisaitl is one of the best playoff performers in NHL history

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I think Draisaitl has the same problem as Malkin: he just happens to play behind the best and most well known player of the time. The dude is an absolute monster and people would rightfully realize how much of a monster he was if he didn't have to play behind McDavid.
People will truly start to get it when he’s playing for Montreal in two years time

• Love
Reactions: dukeofjive

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
mic drop.
OP: Draisaitl is one of the best playoff performers of all time.
TarHeelHockey: There is some nuance missing in the numbers, but basically, I agree with you.
KevinFinnerty: mic drop.
Everyone Else:
1715877528090.png

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He doesn't play a lick of defense. Imagine if the other stars around the league completely abandoned the 2nd half of the ice and cherry picked for 2 on 1's all game long what their production would look like. Now imagine they also had McDavid feeding them on the PP (in which they draw top of the league in PP opportunities). Then all he has to do is let the goalie and coach be the scapegoat.

He is obviously an incredible player. I enjoy watching him a lot, and especially love watching him on the PP and how he can score on the slimmest angles. But if you watch him it is obvious why the team has never won anything in the postseason..
In a place where bad takes are common, this stands out as an incredibly bad take.

As an Oilers fan I have to say that comparing Drai to Mario friggin Lemieux is unfair and just inviting people to prove you wrong.

Drai is one of the playoff beasts of this era; let's just be happy with that without comparing him to one of the game's all-time greats before it's all said and done.
Exactly, it's never a good idea to compare a player to one of the top 5 players of all time. It's just asking to be laughed at.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Post in thread 'Around the League Thread | Hockey is Back!'
Around the League Thread | Hockey is Back!

Post in thread 'Connor Mcdavid trade give your teams best offer...'
Value of: - Connor Mcdavid trade give your teams best offer...

Post in thread 'Elias Pettersson with his 6th career 5 point night'
Elias Pettersson with his 6th career 5 point night

Post in thread 'EP40 for Drai. Who says no!?'
Proposal: - EP40 for Drai. Who says no!?

Post in thread 'Elias Pettersson with his 6th career 5 point night'
Elias Pettersson with his 6th career 5 point night

nice to see the trolls reeling u in like a wide mouth bass.

u think "Pettersson for McDavid + Draisaitl" might have been bait? bahahahah

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
nice to see the trolls reeling u in like a wide mouth bass.

u think "Pettersson for McDavid + Draisaitl" might have been bait? bahahahah
Yeh I got baited. Oh how I wish I had my 1 minute back that it took to search these up. If all these Nucks fans were just trolling, we should report them for making Nucks fans look dumb and baiting.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You’re citing numbers from when he’s 28 and in the middle of his prime, and comparing them to guys who played till they were 40.

At the same age, Lemieux’s playoff PPG was 1.85 to Draisaitl’s 1.67. To be clear, both are elite-of-the-élite.
The high majority of Mario's playoff damage was done by the time he was 32. He did come back for one additional year - and to be nearly a PPG in that year is wildly impressive - but comparing Leon and Mario's playoff production is fair.

Serious consideration? He's a stone cold lock for the HHOF even if he retired today, he'll be arguably a top 20 player of all time when all is said and done.
He's on pace to hit 1,000 points by the time he's 30. If he stays healthy, he'll cruise past 1500.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Is there anything to quantify the "toughness" of conference and SC finals? There hasn't been a remotely close SCF since pre-pandemic. Vegas had a tougher time with Draisaitl and the Oilers in round 2 last year than they did in rounds 3 or 4.
The comparisons were being made to Crosby and Malkin. In 2016 and 2017, both ECFs went to game 7, and both SCFs went to game 6. 2009 SCF went to game 7 as well.

And those are the exact series that differentiate the players in question.

As far as quantifying it goes... come on man, we're all hockey fans here. It's the hardest piece of hardware to earn in pro sports. I think most of us agree on that here. Post pandemic years seem more of an outlier than anything.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
Oh he will be getting in for sure.
First Ballot HOF no question. Many players in the Hall way behind Leon....

Kinda hard to call him one of the best playoff performers in NHL history when he's never won a game past the 2nd round.
Winning is a TEAM effort. There were times where Leon put the entire team on his back....and out performing McDavid many times...Leon was never a passenger but a main driver....

Reactions: I am not exposed

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Isn't a large chunk of this just feasting off the Kings? And then getting promptly bounced off his ass along with his band of merry jerks the very next round?
I mathed the math for ya, here you go

Draisaitl career playoff stats:

Vs SJS

6 games, 1 goal 2 assists 3 points, .5 PPG

Vs ANA

7 games, 5 goals 8 assists 13 points, 1.86 PPG

Vs CHI

4 games, 3 goals 3 assists 6 points, 1.5 PPG

Vs WPG

4 games, 2 goals 3 assists 5 points, 1.25 PPG

Vs LAK

18 games, 16 goals, 13 assists, 29 points, 1.61 PPG

Vs CGY

5 games, 2 goals, 15 asssists, 17 points, 3.4 PPG

Vs COL

4 games, 0 goals 6 assists, 6 points, 1.5 PPG

Vs VGK

6 games, 6 goals, 1 assist, 1.17 PPG

Vs VAN

4 games, 3 goals, 7 assists, 10 points, 2.5 PPG

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
He doesn't play a lick of defense. Imagine if the other stars around the league completely abandoned the 2nd half of the ice and cherry picked for 2 on 1's all game long what their production would look like. Now imagine they also had McDavid feeding them on the PP (in which they draw top of the league in PP opportunities). Then all he has to do is let the goalie and coach be the scapegoat.

He is obviously an incredible player. I enjoy watching him a lot, and especially love watching him on the PP and how he can score on the slimmest angles. But if you watch him it is obvious why the team has never won anything in the postseason..
Usually the bolded leads off a post, and lets the reader know the poster is about to take a really big shit on a on a player. Reading it halfway though was pointless.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Is there any way to get the numbers for players in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs, where Drai has played the overwhelming majority of his playoff games? My gut tells me it gets harder to score the deeper you go.
Yeah , tell that please Matthews and Marner 😂😂 what would happen to them if they would go deep in the playoffs 🤔
Honest question...with that logic they would be top scorer on the other team :)
I just wanted to have a bit fun, don't take this serious.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Malkin could carry a line of mediocre wingers and create depth; a huge advantage for the Pens in winning multiple Cups.

Draisaitl cannot which creates depth issues for Oilers and makes them very reliant on PP scoring to win.
He played only one game this year with McD in the playoffs...and then on his line he has at best mediocre wingers and Nurse/Ceci pairing playing with him...put any other player in that situation and he will be mich worse.
Just look at McK...he has a unit of Rantanen/Makar/Toews on the ice with and can't match Drais numbers.
He is insanely good when it comes to playoffs and also taking lots of defensive zone faceoff which no other superstar does at this rate.

Reactions: Kofi Annan

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t like saying he’s a product of 97, but do we not think all these beautiful passes on the pp have assisted this in some way? When 97’s angle gets covered he passes to Nuge who slides it over the Leon for sure, but I don’t think we can have this conversation without mentioning 97 and I don’t think that the person mentioning it (myself of course) should be blasted into space for bringing it up. I think Leon is awesome and a spectacular shooter.

He gets a lot of great passes from 97 though, does he not? Is he not the Kurri to Wayne?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
You certainly can't knock the production levels, but I will say that for the vast majority of his career during the playoffs he has been bullied at five on five away from McDavid, which to me is a reason why the Oilers have yet to break through. It's happening again this year. The two of them collectively form a damn near unstoppable duo though. I am not convinced they can will that roster to a finals appearance, or even championship, but time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad