Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Matthew Knies to ELC (3 years, $925k AAV)

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
The leafs need a net driving power forward up front and they’ve got one. Good to see. I’d have a hard time pulling him out of the lineup after that game, especially to put bunting in.

I’d sit Kerfoot and Holl putting in Lilly and Knies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
So far looks really good going forward. Definitely some issues with decision making and on the defensive side of the puck though. Overall a great add for the playoff run, really looking forward to seeing this kid develop.

Reactions: CincoHolio

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Lot of people were skeptical he could make an impact in the playoffs. He's been way better than I ever imagined.
I’d say more cautious than sceptical. Expecting a kid from college to walk into a NHL playoffs and be effective, it’s too much pressure. I’ve looked at him as all bonus and been really excited to see how comfortable he is already, he isn’t perfect but man he’s fit for this type of hockey.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I was a bit nervous about how he'd do in Tampa, but having RoR as his center is huge. He certainly has things to clean up, but I really like his ability to make plays with his skill and size. Definitely brings an element the team has been missing

Having ROR there to insulate him and keep him focused is huge.

Knies having the ability to take the puck to the net with power but also beat you with agility is a rare player.

It gives us a third line that can be a consistent threat to score and as we saw last night, a single goal can change the entire outlook of a series.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Having ROR there to insulate him and keep him focused is huge.

Knies having the ability to take the puck to the net with power but also beat you with agility is a rare player.

It gives us a third line that can be a consistent threat to score and as we saw last night, a single goal can change the entire outlook of a series.
Yeah not just rare to the Leafs, but rare in general. Players with his combination of skill, creativity, size, and motor just don't become available. We are so lucky to have him. RoR did have to bail him out a few times, but I have no issues with that

Reactions: weems and TIGERCOOL

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
He's definitely raw, more than a few misreads, mistakes, etc. so he's got some room to grow, but man when he puts it all together watch out.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Love the player so far. He won't put up the counting stats right away to warrant a big contract out of his ELC and might sign a long term <5M deal that looks like a steal when he's 25.

Reactions: Eric bungay

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Having him next to a former Selke Trophy winner is a great way to always be teaching him. He definitely needs coaching on the defensive side of his game, but that’ll come.

You can see that there’s a hell of a player that needs some instruction and polishing. Plenty of potential to be a top 6 PF

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
It’s crazy just how much ice time he is getting and how he does not look out of place. Clearly Keefe trusts him enough to have him out there in such big situations.

good for knies. He’s been fantastic given all the circumstances.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
It’s crazy just how much ice time he is getting and how he does not look out of place. Clearly Keefe trusts him enough to have him out there in such big situations.

good for knies. He’s been fantastic given all the circumstances.
This is a benefit of him just coming off a Finals against better than average men. It may not have been NHL calibre but he cared greatly about that Finals, so he just stepped in with an easier transition for the big games.

Reactions: hockeynorth

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Three things I really like a out Knies:
*his ability to handle the puck is much better than I expected.
*his head is up and he’s looking for his responsibility/best option.
*he doesn’t cheat the team with a lazy effort.

Reactions: kb and HellasLEAF

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
People seem really surprised about his skillset but there's not much to be surprised about - he's a legit blue chipper and he's shown it for awhile. He had a very NHL ready skillset coming in and he's showing it.

All I know is that ROR needs to be re-signed badly, because he needs to be this kids full time mentor.

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
Please don't take him out when Bunting is back. Keep Bunting in the pressbox.
With the way kerfoot is going, I'd keep Knies and insert Bunting. All different players but kerfoot just doesn't have it at the moment, despite stepping up during last year's playoffs

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad