LD Denton Mateychuk - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 12th, CBJ)

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Strong performance by Mateychuk and the Warriors it seems (haven't watched the game yet) but let's keep in mind Blades played yesterday in Saskatoon. 5 of all 7 MJ goals were scored in the third, fatigue likely a major factor there...

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Strong performance by Mateychuk and the Warriors it seems (haven't watched the game yet) but let's keep in mind Blades played yesterday in Saskatoon. 5 of all 7 MJ goals were scored in the third, fatigue likely a major factor there...
Team was pretty awful against the ice tonight, not just the depth but even the top players like Korczak, Mateychuk, etc. That ice team is so deep, it’s crazy. Who is MJ’s likely first round matchup?

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I have to give this thread a bump. In my opinion he is the 3rd best d-man in this draft. I see almost as much offense as others and much better D. Surprised he isn’t getting more attention. Am I wrong? Will he be there when my Canucks pick around 15-16?

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I have to give this thread a bump. In my opinion he is the 3rd best d-man in this draft. I see almost as much offense as others and much better D. Surprised he isn’t getting more attention. Am I wrong? Will he be there when my Canucks pick around 15-16?
Well, if you are in fact wrong, then you're not alone with your assessment. I'd be surprised to see him slide past top ten. I've watched all MJ's playoff games and on top of that 20+ of their regular season games. As I mentioned in another thread, based on the viewings I'm confident enough to say that he's easily one of the most consistent and mature players I've seen of this draft class. Plays really well both ways. Very impressed how quickly he processes the game in almost all kinds of situations.

I will watch the next chapters of his career closely, regardless of the team that ends up drafting him. I think he's going to be at least a very good 3rd pair defenseman in the NHL, but of course a more interesting question is how great could he possibly become? Is he quick and big enough to be a top4 D on a winning team? I have a few more questions for those who may have better read on his overall game and potential:

How far is he from making the team in the NHL? What areas of his game needs to improved between now and the day of his NHL debut?

Ceiling and floor? NHL comps other than Duncan Keith?

What do you guys think of his defensive tools and awareness?

Most of the time I've been impressed of his play without the puck in DZ. There's willingness to battle, doesn't give much space for opposing players, he's solid positionally and is active with defensive stick. In last night's series-closing game he failed to block passing lanes on 2vs1 situations in front of the net, both of those "mistakes" lead to goals for Winnipeg. It wasn't the first time I've seen him struggle at those type of plays.

What about the offense? Is there something that needs to be better?

Imo he doesn't have elite puck skills and vision when he has puck on the point or on the halfwalls with not a lot of room to make plays. Isn't the most deceptive passer or shooter either. The primary assist on the Tien goal in the post above requires versatile stickhandling skills, to make that type of blade-twisting pass at the speed he's skating is definitely not the easiest task. But it isn't the hardest task if you have any room to execute it, and in this case he had. The second assist he recorded in that game came from a deflection play on the PP. Identifies uncovered Warriors stick blade in front and the timing of the pass is right on cue. But again, he had ton of space and great view at the net on the play.

Am I seeing things correctly? Hopefully this detail oriented yet very scrappy post will attract more people to come here to share their thoughts on him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Curious to see his height/weight at the combine, his older brother is 6'3" 220.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
With great skating and puck control, Denton Mateychuk is quickly rising up draft boards. The Moose Jaw Warriors defenceman put up 13 goals and 51 assists for 64 points in 65 games this season. He also added one goal and seven assists for eight points in nine WHL playoff games so far. Mateychuk was also one of the standout performers at the CHL Top Prospects Game, and was captain of Team White.

Reactions: Dominance

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Curious to see his height/weight at the combine, his older brother is 6'3" 220.

I am wondering if his lower ranking is largely based on this. He's smaller than every dman ranked ahead of him, and the NHL is often a bit of a copycat league and TB has been a borderline dynasty by employing an entire blueline of ~6'2-6'6 guys. Colorado also only had one dman under 6'1, but granted, that was Cale Makar the Conn Smythe winner (Girard is also smaller, but only played 7 games).

Anyway, I highly doubt he's available at the Leafs pick, but he's certainly a guy I'm watching, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a team take him much higher than his Bob McKenzie ranking, or for a team to trade up to grab him in the mid-teens..

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I am wondering if his lower ranking is largely based on this. He's smaller than every dman ranked ahead of him, and the NHL is often a bit of a copycat league and TB has been a borderline dynasty by employing an entire blueline of ~6'2-6'6 guys. Colorado also only had one dman under 6'1, but granted, that was Cale Makar the Conn Smythe winner (Girard is also smaller, but only played 7 games).

Anyway, I highly doubt he's available at the Leafs pick, but he's certainly a guy I'm watching, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a team take him much higher than his Bob McKenzie ranking, or for a team to trade up to grab him in the mid-teens..

It's a pipe dream but I would be over the moon if the Leafs could get him. I would genuinely be okay with them using assets to trade up for him.

Reactions: JohnJim

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Awesome to see Denton get picked.. his dad went to the same school as I also went to.. different grades many years ago.. but happy for Denton and his family as well..will be watching how he does with Columbus when he is ready to play in the NHL in a few years...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Excited to see him at development camp this week. I would assume he's on Canada's radar for the WJC in August. How likely is he to make the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad