Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Why? You can't have both of them on the same team. You'd be drafting one brother and lead yourself into a situation where you have to trade one.

Better off adding a good forward into our pool.
Yep. I think it's a rare case where the brothers wouldn't be happy to be picked by the same team, because they would be competing directly one against the other with no room for both.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I don't see how we would be impeding his development, personally, and that's not what I'm pushing for in the least, as opposed to what you are suggesting.

Guhle is mature beyond his years, more so than those bawling at the thought of Guhle playing on the right side. I think he can handle that as the situation clarifies itself on D over the next season.
But seriously there's no need for it

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
But seriously there's no need for it
Actually, for now, there is. Otherwise, Guile would not be playing as the RHD on the first pair at D.

Finding a short term, 1st pairing RHD, while Reinbacher continues to develop and adapt to NHL-sized rinks, is not a given in the least.

IMO, Guhle - Reinbacher, right away, is definitely not an option. Guhle-Mailloux ,is also not an option, at least not for now. Guhle - Savard is a horrendous pairing option for a first pair on D; Savard already has trouble in a 2nd pairing deployment.

What other option do you see from within? IMO, there aren't any.

Getting one fromqoutside the system that helps Guhle develop as a 1st pairing LHD is also highly unlikely.

I can't see your magic scenario that is better than the current one, for the short term, anyhow.

Please outline it for me so I can assess its value and feasability.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Can't wait to see him next year. The 2 games against Detroit we all see his high offensive talent. Hutson - Savard next year would be a very good pair!

Reactions: 26Mats

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Good luck with that!

A good portion of the league is looking for this, so you are either paying through the nose or giving up term. There will be plenty of teams which are currently more competitive, willing to give a combination of both (term and $).
Which is why Guhle will play RD next year.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
I think you procede carefully with a player of this
caliber. And he should be the main focus of the
development team. He could start learning pro defence
in Laval practices, and play softer offensive TOI.
Then later in the season, They'll have to decide if
he's better at playing more TOI in Laval. Or coming
to Montreal so he can practice with NHL players. .In
the NHL I'd be reluctant to use him in games except
for offensive situations.
Next season is soon enough for more responsability.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think you procede carefully with a player of this
caliber. And he should be the main focus of the
development team. He could start learning pro defence
in Laval practices, and play softer offensive TOI.
Then later in the season, They'll have to decide if
he's better at playing more TOI in Laval. Or coming
to Montreal so he can practice with NHL players. .In
the NHL I'd be reluctant to use him in games except
for offensive situations.
Next season is soon enough for more responsability.
He looked fine defense wise and even better Offensively

Reactions: jaffy27

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Me too. I really liked him. We should pick him with the Jets pick.

I like him more than Parekh but absolutely would not draft him as his father is already on record saying that if Lane had been drafted by a team where he didn't feel was in his best interests he would not have signed and would have went the Adam Fox route. He very specifically also said that Montreal might not be the best fit for Cole with Lane already there playing the role that Cole would aspire to play.

Cole is a ND for Montreal unless they have been guaranteed that Cole would not consider walking

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I like him more than Parekh but absolutely would not draft him as his father is already on record saying that if Lane had been drafted by a team where he didn't feel was in his best interests he would not have signed and would have went the Adam Fox route. He very specifically also said that Montreal might not be the best fit for Cole with Lane already there playing the role that Cole would aspire to play.

Cole is a ND for Montreal unless they have been guaranteed that Cole would not consider walking

I only saw him once or twice but I wasn't overly impressed and wouldn't pick him over Parekh who I like a good bit but have some concerns (getting suspended for spitting), he's so light that I wouldn't pick him due to having Hutson.

I would assume Cole is a ND for the Habs as well.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Hutson should play a full season in Laval with Reinbacher
I never understand takes like this.

How could you possibly already have an opinion that these two should spend the entirety of the 2024-25 season in the minors when, combined, they have played 13 games of pro hockey in North America, and Hutson only has two, and they are in the NHL?

How they play, how they handle the pace, how they handle the physicality and, most importantly, how they develop and grow their games is of the utmost importance because next season is certainly not a "Win Now" scenario for the Canadiens.

If either or Hutson or Reinbacher were excelling at the AHL level, or stagnating at the AHL level what possible reason would there be to not bring them up? A huge part of their development will be how they handle the bigger, faster, tougher NHL. I can't imagine why anyone would decide now, with barely any evidence at all of how they perform in the pros, where they should spend next season.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I only saw him once or twice but I wasn't overly impressed and wouldn't pick him over Parekh who I like a good bit but have some concerns (getting suspended for spitting), he's so light that I wouldn't pick him due to having Hutson.

I would assume Cole is a ND for the Habs as well.

The difference to me is that Cole plays a much better defensive game than Parekh and just has that uber competitive Hutson drive whereas Parekh is as bad a defender as I have seen relative to other top 10-15 ranked dmen over the last two decades. Saginaw plays a wide open game that inflates Parekh's numbers as he plays as a rover and is always on the ice to collect easy points. Cole imo would be every bit as productive in Saginaw as Parekh is.....Parekh is a strong ND for me as he is extremely weak and soft in his own end and he plays a very junior game with tons of cutesy plays that don't translate to the pro game. This is not to suggest that Parekh can not be a high scoring NHL defender but more about not seeing any role for him on a contender. He would be a wasted pick for a team that is serious about winning the Cup whereas Cole is a winner and a little bull dog who could carve out a spot on a championship team.

Reactions: bcv

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Has he grown since the end of the season? What is his workout regime this summer? Does he need some Fight Milk???

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Has he grown since the end of the season? What is his workout regime this summer? Does he need some Fight Milk???
These seem to work….

1717034445203.gif

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
I never understand takes like this.

How could you possibly already have an opinion that these two should spend the entirety of the 2024-25 season in the minors when, combined, they have played 13 games of pro hockey in North America, and Hutson only has two, and they are in the NHL?

How they play, how they handle the pace, how they handle the physicality and, most importantly, how they develop and grow their games is of the utmost importance because next season is certainly not a "Win Now" scenario for the Canadiens.

If either or Hutson or Reinbacher were excelling at the AHL level, or stagnating at the AHL level what possible reason would there be to not bring them up? A huge part of their development will be how they handle the bigger, faster, tougher NHL. I can't imagine why anyone would decide now, with barely any evidence at all of how they perform in the pros, where they should spend next season.

That's a strong hfboards dogma. There is some value in the saying that's because some fans are burned by all the years of Mtl rushing prospects.

But no organization would be that strict. Sure, they might have some inclinations as to where a prospect will play, but there's a reason why they have training camp. It's too help figure that out.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
That's a strong hfboards dogma. There is some value in the saying that's because some fans are burned by all the years of Mtl rushing prospects.

Ummm......the dogma is the narrative that the players who busted did so because they were "rushed". There is no evidence of that and being "rushed" does not ruin a player for good, it may only be a minor set back at worst for a player who actually has what it takes to make it.

There are optimal development paths for every player and they are not all identical. Some include stints of different lengths in other pro leagues and some include a quick ascension to the NHL For the vast majority of players they are going to be who they are going to be eventually and the key to development is getting them to their apex as quick as possible. I do believe that development is taking a turn towards actually making players better than what they would have been in years past with new technology and actual intelligent people starting to get involved.

People who think that there are magic beans in the AHL that would have sent KK, Galchenyuk, Mete etc on a one way street to NHL stardom are delusional and litter these boards with truisms and tropes that lower the quality of these sites and reduce the conversation to Don Cherry level dialogue.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad