News Article: Kyrou signs 8 year extension

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Your Perron obsession is getting into Dizee territory at this point. Everything that can be said already has been, and there are interviews out there with Army and Perron to get both sides of the story. Obviously Thomas and Kyrou are much higher priorities for the Blues going forward, as they should be. Kyrou needs and deserves a bigger role on the team, and with Perron around we would have had a really good winger stuck on the 3rd line.
...Sigh...

I've not been active here for a few months. I made one comment about the latest Blues news and I've already regretted coming back.

I'm out until first game. And no...I won't spend my time obsessed with DP57.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Another aspect to the Kane comp as I was thinking of someone that's closer to Kyrou tier was Kessel. Kane and Kyrou both have/had the luxury of being sheltered a bit by a #1 center that could handle top line duties. Toews and ROR did/do a lot of the heavy lifting. Now compare that to Kessel, where in Toronto, he was the guy expected to do everything, so the deficiencies were highlighted, and when he went to the Pens, Crosby sheltered them, allowing Kessel to thrive.

Does ROR stay and continue that heavy lifting? If not, does Thomas step up as that center or does a different one fill that ROR role?

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Both of these extensions are great. They will look even better as time goes on and the cap (finally) starts to go back up. We have our two best offensive threats locked up through their prime at a very reasonable number. We also now know what type of money we can offer ROR if we choose to keep him (I'd like to remind everyone that there's no way he signs for less than he's currently making - if Kadri just got a 7x7. that's the absolute floor for ROR) I -hope- that an 8Mx6 gets him to resign, but it might not.

I'm still in the camp that if we can't resign him, we need to move both Tarasenko and ROR for major futures packages at the TDL unless we look like we're the best team in the West.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm still in the camp that if we can't resign him, we need to move both Tarasenko and ROR for major futures packages at the TDL unless we look like we're the best team in the West.
That is just an unrealistic expectation/hope/standard in the real-world. The gap between #1 and the other contenders is almost always very slim in the NHL and there is enough randomness/luck in a 7 game series that the best looking team doesn't reliably emerge from the Conference. I'm all for becoming deadline sellers if we don't look like we are among the top few contenders, but if we are positioned similar to last year then you can't sell at the deadline without major backlash from the fanbase at large.

We gave the 119 point Avs their only tough series before the Final and that was with a very banged up D group. That series got away from us in games 3 and 4 when we were missing two of our starting LD and then lost our red hot goalie early in a game that we were leading 1-0. All of a sudden, we had $15.775M missing from the lineup and all of it was concentrated to defense/goaltending. Husso was shaky, he allowed 9 goals over 2 games, we went on tilt chasing Kadri around and suddenly we were in a 3-1 hole. I firmly believe that we win at least one of those two home games if Binner hadn't gotten hurt. He was absolutely dialed in and Husso let in a number of very stoppable pucks.

We would have lost that series more often than not, but we were very capable of beating that team. They lost more pieces than us this summer. If we look like a lock to clear 100 points and have played the top teams in the conference competitively, then you can't become sellers. I'd support selling ROR and Tarasenko if we're looking like a 95-100 point team that will get into the playoffs but have little chance to contend. That is still a pretty hard sell to the fanbase, but it is one that most fans would buy.

In a hard cap league with as much parity and randomness as the NHL, you can't sell the present for the future if you're "only" the 3rd-8th best team in the league.

Last edited:

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I like the idea of locking Kyrou and Thomas up long-term. But I also know that you have to have overly bold and controversial takes here apparently, almost Skip Bayless-esuqe. So I will add that I hope Kyrou gets even worse defensively and starts really hotdogging it after goals.

• Haha
Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I like the idea of locking Kyrou and Thomas up long-term. But I also know that you have to have overly bold and controversial takes here apparently, almost Skip Bayless-esuqe. So I will add that I hope Kyrou gets even worse defensively and starts really hotdogging it after goals.
Usually thinking the Blues have a chance to win a series is controversial around here.

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
through the first five games, he's not shown any indication of deserving to be paid $65 million for the next 8 years. from today's athletic article: through 5 games he has 4 giveaways which projects to 65 over an 82 game season. he had 29 in 74 games (or a projected 32 in 82 games). yikes.

Reactions: TheDizee

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
through the first five games, he's not shown any indication of deserving to be paid $65 million for the next 8 years. from today's athletic article: through 5 games he has 4 giveaways which projects to 65 over an 82 game season. he had 29 in 74 games (or a projected 32 in 82 games). yikes.
Holy small sample size, Batman.

Reactions: HighNote

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Holy small sample size, Batman.
that what people said bout lehtera, chris stewart, brad boyes and other terrible deals. hope army can find a way to sneak out of this in a trade before rest of the NHL world wakes up and sees what is going on.

at least it is on record as me thinking this extension was no good. too bad we couldnt get Tkachuk for him.

Reactions: finnishflash13

Mar 6, 2012
Kyrou is a very streaky player. When he's "on" he looks like a superstar and when he's "off" he either looks invisible or like a liability. This isn't a new thing.

I think he may be slightly overpaid, but most contracts feel that way.

Reactions: Blueston

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
The bi-polarization of sports fanbases is so predictable. 3-0 record? We’re winning the Cup! All players are awesome. Lose 2 games? Here’s a list of players not cutting it and/or not worth their contracts.

There’s certainly some things to be concerned about and I’ll agree that Kyrou in particular has looked like dog sh!t for the most part this season but it’s a long season. And any team that loses two players like Buch and Saad is going to see some struggles.

Overall though, I’m not too concerned. The good news is both goalies are locked in. Just need some guys to convert some of their offensive chances better. Tons and tons of shots missing their mark.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
The bi-polarization of sports fanbases is so predictable. 3-0 record? We’re winning the Cup! All players are awesome. Lose 2 games? Here’s a list of players not cutting it and/or not worth their contracts.

There’s certainly some things to be concerned about and I’ll agree that Kyrou in particular has looked like dog sh!t for the most part this season but it’s a long season. And any team that loses two players like Buch and Saad is going to see some struggles.

Overall though, I’m not too concerned. The good news is both goalies are locked in. Just need some guys to convert some of their offensive chances better. Tons and tons of shots missing their mark.
Not sure if you are implying I said that. But if so, I predicted a 1st round loss for the team and IDK who ever said we were gonna win the cup after 3 games. I thought they played mediocre vs Columbus and total trash vs Seattle. Good team win (mainly due to binner though) vs EDM and a train wreck ever since. Their 5on5 play is totally unacceptable for even a fringe playoff team like I think they are.

This team IMO overachieved last year due to their special teams and it was completely naive and foolish for management to expect that many 20 goal scorers again. ROR and Schenn are totally gonna fall off cliffs soon from offensive production standpoint and Army has ran 91 out of town most likely. That leaves us with a forward core of Thomas, Kyrou and Buch. I have faith in Buch and Thomas but none in Kyrou.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Not sure if you are implying I said that. But if so, I predicted a 1st round loss for the team and IDK who ever said we were gonna win the cup after 3 games. I thought they played mediocre vs Columbus and total trash vs Seattle. Good team win (mainly due to binner though) vs EDM and a train wreck ever since. Their 5on5 play is totally unacceptable for even a fringe playoff team like I think they are.

This team IMO overachieved last year due to their special teams and it was completely naive and foolish for management to expect that many 20 goal scorers again. ROR and Schenn are totally gonna fall off cliffs soon from offensive production standpoint and Army has ran 91 out of town most likely. That leaves us with a forward core of Thomas, Kyrou and Buch. I have faith in Buch and Thomas but none in Kyrou.
Well, you basically did this: “Here’s a list of players not cutting it and/or not worth their contracts.” But I’ll also agree that you’re a very consistent doom and gloom guy and not only doom and gloom when they have a rough patch. Congrats for your consistency I guess?

But you certainly come out of the woodwork and proclaim your doom and gloom much more after loses. THAT is also highly predictable. Skeptics love to boast their rightness at times it fits their agenda.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
I am not as knowledgeable as most of y'all, but I've been impressed with Kyrou's improved defensive effort at the very least. It seems like opponents know what he's capable of and are playing him a lot tighter than last year.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I am not as knowledgeable as most of y'all, but I've been impressed with Kyrou's improved defensive effort at the very least. It seems like opponents know what he's capable of and are playing him a lot tighter than last year.
Not to mention the fact that Chief specifically called him out for his work ethic, defense and effort level last night, so he is absolutely doing the right things in the eyes of the one whose opinion matters most. The team as a whole is in a bit of an offensive funk as it has been more than 11 periods since we've scored a 5v5 goal. His goals and points will come, and when they do he will be seen as more of a complete player than he was last season. That's how development works.

RR10

Jul 2, 2018

You also predicted Colorado was a bluff and overrated last season and that says a lot about your poor hockey knowledge.

You don't have to be Einstein to say that Kyrou got the extension too early, many said that including myself. Thomas is atleast a high potential center with alright defense and good attitude, it's easier to understand his extension.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Colorado had to run a goalie along with have the refs help them the entire way to win a mickey mouse cup. they ARE overrated. if the NHL was not a garage league, they would not allow too many men on the ice goals to win OT playoff games.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Colorado had to run a goalie along with have the refs help them the entire way to win a mickey mouse cup. they ARE overrated. if the NHL was not a garage league, they would not allow too many men on the ice goals to win OT playoff games.
Why didn't you predict that the refs would help them, or that Kadri would run Binnington?

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
If Kyrou remains healthy, he is on pace for 732 GP / 122 G / 0 A / -976 over the remainder of his current contract and his extension. That kind of production just isn't worth 8.125M. It's not even worth his current cap hit of 2.8M. These 6 games have clearly shown us it's time to move on from him. We need to cut ties while we still can and regain some assets before it's too late. Here's what I propose:

Jordan Kyrou
Vladimir Tarasenko (34% retained)
Thomas Greiss
'23 4th

for

Charlie Lindgren
'24 9th

Last edited:

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
If Kyrou remains healthy, he is on pace for 732 GP / 122 G / 0 A / -976 over the remainder of his current contract and his extension. That kind of production just isn't worth 8.125M. It's not even worth his current cap hit of 2.8M. These 6 games have clearly shown us it's time to move on from him. We need to cut ties while we still can and regain some assets before it's too late. Here's what I propose:

Jordan Kyrou
Vladimir Tarasenko (34% retained)
Thomas Greiss
'23 4th

for

Charlie Lindgren
'24 9th
thats not a bad trade if you get a few more picks tbh because you get rid of massive cap space and then you have an elite goaltending tandem that can win you cups.

flip the picks back to actual NHL players who can produce, unlike Kyrou and you are in better shape than now.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
thats not a bad trade if you get a few more picks tbh because you get rid of massive cap space and then you have an elite goaltending tandem that can win you cups.

flip the picks back to actual NHL players who can produce, unlike Kyrou and you are in better shape than now.
I think if you start adding Washington picks on top of Lindgren they're gonna hang up. Honestly, even with my offer as it stands it's a stretch that they consider it because they might view Lindgren as untouchable. Washington is still trying to win now with that core, and one of the most valuable assets to have is an elite goalie that can take you deep. Ovechkin, Lindgren, Backstrom, Carlson, and Kuznetsov are likely all untouchable right now (in that order, but I've considered swapping OV and Lindgren, they're really close). Those guys aren't getting moved unless a big overpayment is coming their way or they're somehow sellers at the TDL. They'd probably want at least a 2nd rounder instead of the 4th I proposed (maybe even a 1st). And I bet you that ask for Binnington instead of Greiss because they simply can't lean on Kuemper and his .902 Sv% from last year's playoffs.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If you were fine with this extension two weeks ago, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be now.

I was certainly not in favor of this extension, but it would be equally stupid for me to say I told you so.

There’s basically a decade tied up in him. No need to overreact after two weeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad