Rumor: Kevin Shattenkirk turns down 7-year offer by TB | Update: TB offered less term

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Considering how dead in the water this is now that Shattenkirk nixed it...

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
A Blues blogger recently posed a question regarding this deal. If the deal were still acceptable in principle to both sides and Shattenkirk would agree to an extension of 7 years and $6.75M AAV, could the Blues sign him, trade him in the deal, and retain the additional $750K in cap and salary? They would certainly have to retain a proportionate amount of his expiring deal as well, but I'm not sure you can retain salary on a deal that is not currently in force. Interesting thought, though. If it was allowed, TB would get him at the price they offered if they were still willing to make the deal.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Why would the Blues want to do that though? I would have to think we wouldn't like the compensation the Blues would want.

He would be a perfect fit, but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of signing him for anything more than what Yzerman was offering.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
A Blues blogger recently posed a question regarding this deal. If the deal were still acceptable in principle to both sides and Shattenkirk would agree to an extension of 7 years and $6.75M AAV, could the Blues sign him, trade him in the deal, and retain the additional $750K in cap and salary? They would certainly have to retain a proportionate amount of his expiring deal as well, but I'm not sure you can retain salary on a deal that is not currently in force. Interesting thought, though. If it was allowed, TB would get him at the price they offered if they were still willing to make the deal.
That would be dumb for the blues dead cap of 750k for 7 years ?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Just sounds like Shattenkirk is really set on the Rangers or somewhere else up north. It's not the money.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah. I think all we can take from this is, first, Yzerman actually did try to pull off a major move to save the season, and, second, the guy who would be a perfect fit for our troubles isn't coming here.

I guess maybe there's a third: The fact that Yzerman went the sign-and-trade route proves that it's not as crazy far-fetched as it sometimes seems. We could probably get a substantial return on Bishop if Yzerman goes that way. (Then again, I'm not sure what the $ on Bishop would have to be in order to bring him to a break even point if he were, say, in Calgary. Probably more than they'd be willing to pay, especially if they're offering up a piece.)

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It looks and sounds like Shattenkirk wants to play in NY. Plan B is Yzerman continues to see if he can get a puck moving RH top 4 D this team needs. Where he will find that who knows. I wonder what it would take for TB to get Honka.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
It looks and sounds like Shattenkirk wants to play in NY. Plan B is Yzerman continues to see if he can get a puck moving RH top 4 D this team needs. Where he will find that who knows. I wonder what it would take for TB to get Honka.

Honka is still a prospect, no?

Not really on the same level as Shattenkirk.

With that said, I bet Steve can still make this happen if he wants to pony up $500k more. I bet Shatty didn't want to sign for less than what Yandle did in Florida.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL

So it looks like the big offer wasn't us. Which is kind of good to hear in that we weren't looking to get stuck with yet another aging defenseman on too long of a deal.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wait though. Is that saying he turned us down because the term wasn't long enough, and not because we're not New York? Because that opens up a whole different can of worms.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

So it looks like the big offer wasn't us. Which is kind of good to hear in that we weren't looking to get stuck with yet another aging defenseman on too long of a deal.

Hum I would guess we offered a 5 year term then ?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I was hoping we could get Shattenkirk but I guess not. Don't want to get another risky contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad