Player Discussion Justin Brazeau

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Just heard (from Steve Dangle) that the Leafs had indicated to Swayman that they were going to draft him and instead took Ian Scott. Bruins took Swayman with next pick.

I don't watch Dangle much at all but I caught that comment about Swayman and Scott. He does have a good point about Scott though. His final season in junior was incredible.

There is ammunition there because the Leafs apparently spent a fair bit of time (more than other teams) talking to Swayman's camp leading up to the draft.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
He’s been surprisingly great. I wonder if we can get someone in the offseason to help improve his skating. If he could get to a slightly below average level of skating he’ll be dangerous out there.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He’s been surprisingly great. I wonder if we can get someone in the offseason to help improve his skating. If he could get to a slightly below average level of skating he’ll be dangerous out there.

My guess is he's worked on his skating pretty extensively probably his whole career. No doubt identified as his biggest deficiency likely years ago. I would say it's improved substantially since his days in the OHL as an undrafted player.

incidental otter

Registered Spraint
May 27, 2015

Good article that addresses his skating. TLDR: he didn't have year-round ice as a kid, so he's a step behind everyone who skated in the summer.

Seems like a good bet that we'll see improvement next training camp.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Game 2 he looked sluggish and late to the play. Then seem to be out of position and has nonexistent forechecking skills. Flash of talent punctuated with long stretches of wanting. Is there a small chance it’s why he has spent nearly all of his career in the minors?
Winning foot races will never be his forte.

But his IQ when he's near the puck is quite good I'll say. He also understands he can use his 6-5 body to his advantage, once he's in front of you not even McDavid is going to go thru him to get the puck. He walls himself off very well.

He's also got soft hands as many have said on here. Makes good passes and is quite surprising overall when it comes to offense.

The reason I don't want him and Maroon together next season is because that's two guys that are too slow. Today's NHL isn't kind to multiple guys with little foot speed.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Game 2 he looked sluggish and late to the play. Then seem to be out of position and has nonexistent forechecking skills. Flash of talent punctuated with long stretches of wanting. Is there a small chance it’s why he has spent nearly all of his career in the minors?
It's one game. More like a flash of wanting punctuated with long stretches of talent.

He got 11 min, finished with a team high 6 hits and 2 of the team's 15 shots on net.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It's one game. More like a flash of wanting punctuated with long stretches of talent.

He got 11 min, finished with a team high 6 hits and 2 of the team's 15 shots on net.
I thought he was fine, as advertised. He's painfully slow out of the gates and tends to lumber around, but there's some skill under there. I'm hoping he turns into one of those guys that elevates in the big moments. Doesn't need to be putting up 3 point games, but there are a multitude of ways the hockey gods could reward a big effort from him.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Wasn't anyone's best game by any means either. He's looked good more often than not though, no worries here

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad