Proposal: Jonathon Blum

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
There are some teams that would love to have that for 2nd pairing.

we do have an embarassment of riches on D which is why I am shocked that poile cant find someone to take Blum off our hands

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
There are some teams that would love to have that for 2nd pairing.

The potential is great but I see a pairing like that struggling next year. A second pairing consisting of those players would get demolished next season IMO. We'll see what happens.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
The potential is great but I see a pairing like that struggling next year. A second pairing consisting of those players would get demolished next season IMO. We'll see what happens.

whoever we use on a second pair next year isn't going to be demolished. In fact they will play 22 mins or so and be fine. We let a young pair develop on that 3rd pair 10 min or so a night and late in games Weber and Josi double ****, as well as Klein with whoever brought their big boy pants that game.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
whoever we use on a second pair next year isn't going to be demolished. In fact they will play 22 mins or so and be fine. We let a young pair develop on that 3rd pair 10 min or so a night and late in games Weber and Josi double ****, as well as Klein with whoever brought their big boy pants that game.

I was responding to the post jlsg had where he said some teams would love a combo of Bartley-Ellis-Ekholm on the second pair. Any combo of those players used in a second pairing role would get demolished. That's what I was saying. I agree our second pairing will likely be fine but I wouldn't bet the house on it considering it looks like one of Jones,Ellis,Ekholm or Bartley will be playing those minutes. Sure they might be capable and I'd bet on one of those 4 players stepping up and putting on their big boy pants as you put it but all of those players are extremely green and could struggle.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
so since its wednesday is Blum now a UFA? didnt qo's have to be given by yesterday?

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
so since its wednesday is Blum now a UFA? didnt qo's have to be given by yesterday?
That's my understanding. He and Hali are gone. Cap casualties really- guys like that are going to get hit with reduced salaries, which is why they had no trade value. Same as pointed out on Gill.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
and so have we now coined a new verb? To "Blum" (v): to be a highly touted prospect who plays just well enough for just long enough that he becomes part of a teams plans then promptly loses all ability to play at the NHL level.

used in a sentence: Many posters think we should trade Ryan Ellis before he Blums on us.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I think Poile also hurt his trade value by admitting that if he didn't trade him, he wouldn't send him a QO. Teams at that point knew that they could just wait until Friday and sign him.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I think Poile also hurt his trade value by admitting that if he didn't trade him, he wouldn't send him a QO. Teams at that point knew that they could just wait until Friday and sign him.

Somewhat, but if they trade for him, there is no competition from other teams and he retains his RFA status.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Based on what?

He played well in, statistically, 12 percent of the games he played in the NHL...yet everyone believes "that's the real Blum."

Cam Barker and Ryan Parent can tell Blum all about the life he's in for now.

a difference between being soft & having back problems that require surgery... but yeah, I get the point & agree with Barker.

cleangene63

Jan 25, 2006
Beautiful Bellevue
While listening to the early portion of XM Radio's hockey station coverage of the Free Agent Frenzy, I swear the announcers mentioned the Preds and Edmonton swapped Blum for Ladislav Smid. Has anyone else heard such news? I see that both are still on website rosters of their respective teams, (which doesn't mean ANYTHING) but that seemed so very, very weird.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
While listening to the early portion of XM Radio's hockey station coverage of the Free Agent Frenzy, I swear the announcers mentioned the Preds and Edmonton swapped Blum for Ladislav Smid. Has anyone else heard such news? I see that both are still on website rosters of their respective teams, (which doesn't mean ANYTHING) but that seemed so very, very weird.

It was a proposed deal a couple of years ago that did not come to fruition. Blum was not qualified and is a UFA at the moment.

cleangene63

Jan 25, 2006
Beautiful Bellevue
It was a proposed deal a couple of years ago that did not come to fruition. Blum was not qualified and is a UFA at the moment.
That's exactly what I was thinking, SL- thank you for confirming that. They certainly need to start throwing old copy away in the XM hockey network studios.

ilikeblocks

Still a registered user
Feb 16, 2008

I heard the same thing - I was stoked. Smid's a killer damn when it comes to blocked shots, and he's a left handed shot if I remember correctly.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I commented earlier that Blum screwed us and himself by playing so well in his trade showcase game... poile ended up keeping him and the rest is history.. who knows but in Edmonton he might have had a different future

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
I heard the same thing - I was stoked. Smid's a killer damn when it comes to blocked shots, and he's a left handed shot if I remember correctly.

LOL! Only the Preds can be excited about getting a left-handed dman.
Nashville has such an embarrassment of riches in the way of slick skating, offensively gifted right-handed defensemen.

I'm glad the Wings don't have to be in their division anymore. Nashville is an incredibly run organization it's only a matter of time before they start giving out major headaches every single playoff season.

But I wish they'd share the wealth with us. We need a right-handed, puck-moving D big time. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad