Value of: John Tavares (post July 1st) with 2-3M retained

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I said after July 1st because his signing bonus will have been paid out by Toronto and thus his actual salary would be 910k.

I think Tavares would likely want to land on a contender which would limit suitors and an 8M cap hit would still be a tough squeeze for some teams.

I think the return wouldn't be all that special but an example would be something like JT, NSH's 5th 2024, OTT's 7th 2024 for Cody Glass and WPG's 2024 2nd to Nashville

Quieter market, ownership would appreciate the low money commitment and they figure to be pushing for a playoff spot again.

He's got a NMC so it could be a tough sell for him but clearly the Leafs are going to change things.

Open to other suggestions or ideas.

Cheers

1715788495824.png

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
SJ, Utah, Chicago, Anaheim are teams I can see doing this.

They could easily eat another 50% of his salary and flip him for a 1st + at the deadline.

Posters on Hfboards don't have any interest in helping the Leafs though, for whatever reason

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
He's easy to move if he's happy to move. If he's at $8m, there would definitely be teams willing to take him until the deadline and make it $4m with his actual $ being so little.

A more sensible idea for the Leafs is getting a 3rd party to retain to help with the cap hit reduction so that they get a little more in return in the trade.

The problem for the Leafs then becomes who is the 2C.

Reactions: hurdemz

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I think he'd be a great fit in Winnipeg , strong on faceoffs, plays a net front / cycle game
Schief, JT, Lowry would be a formattable C depth

Pionk at 5.85 + Barron at 1.35 + Lambert or Barlow as a leafs fan would be a good start of a deal

• Haha
Reactions: hn777

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I said after July 1st because his signing bonus will have been paid out by Toronto and thus his actual salary would be 910k.

I think Tavares would likely want to land on a contender which would limit suitors and an 8M cap hit would still be a tough squeeze for some teams.

I think the return wouldn't be all that special but an example would be something like JT, NSH's 5th 2024, OTT's 7th 2024 for Cody Glass and WPG's 2024 2nd to Nashville

Quieter market, ownership would appreciate the low money commitment and they figure to be pushing for a playoff spot again.

He's got a NMC so it could be a tough sell for him but clearly the Leafs are going to change things.

Open to other suggestions or ideas.

Cheers

View attachment 871161

Honestly, I think Tavares will want to stay in Toronto.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Leafs have to decide if they want a return or if they want cap space from any potential JT deal. The NMC complicates things significantly. If he is only willing to waive for a select few destinations then don't expect any offers that will wow you even with retention.

At 11M cap hit he probably has negative value- you would have to throw in a sweetner to get someone to take him a big sweetner. The fact that he has a minimal salary cost probably does not help you because of the NMC. The teams he will be willing to waive for probably have more cash than cap space so cap space is the limiting factor. Teams who would be interested in low$, high cap hit to meet floor are not teams he will likely waive for.

If you retain 50% and then get a 3rd team to broker more retention you could get a half decent return if there are multiple suitors. If he will only waive or one or two teams you will get nothing of value.

If you retain 50% you are eating 5.5M in Cap and saving 5.5. But then you have to trade assets to replace him or overspend in UFA market. You may well spend the assets you got for him and the 5.5m in cap space on his replacement and have a player who is no better than JT and still a 11M hit between retention and replacement.

If you just want cap space I think you are better to trade him with no retention and throw in a sweetner and maybe take back a center on expiring contract who the other team has no plans for. Again all contingent on that NMC.

Tre has a history of interesting cap saving trades with Kent Hughes. Let's assume JT would waive for Mtl- doubt it but maybe he sees them as ready to take next step.

JT at full 11M to Montreal plus Toronto's 2026 1st rounder with as many conditions as the Monahan trade had for Dvorak. Toronto gets a Centre back in Dvorak who starred with Marner and Domi back with London Knights and save 6.5M in cap space. (11-4.5). Dvorak has 1 yr left too.

Habs would probably do that, not sure leafs or JT would but if you are looking to have someone eat 6+M of cap space its probably going to cost you a 1st. Other option is you keep him and walk away after this yr.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think he'd be a great fit in Winnipeg , strong on faceoffs, plays a net front / cycle game

Pionk at 5.85 + Barron at 1.35 + Lambert or Barlow as a leafs fan would be a good start of a deal

So much wrong with this idea:

- No chance JT waives to go to a small market prairie team

- JT isn't worth his cap hit or even close to it

- Jets certainly don't have cap space to take on his massive cap hit

- JT is not a good skater, the Jets have to get faster not slower.

- Jets certainly aren't giving up Barron & Lambert/Barlow for JT, zero chance of that happening for a one year UFA rental and a guy who's cap hit is massively to high for what he does.

- Jets are trying to win now, JT doesn't help that with his cap hit. Leafs would be better suited to trying to find a team who isn't trying to win now but could use an old vet leadership and he can go there to retire. Hawks?

Reactions: hn777 and CDN24

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Post July 1st they would have already paid him pretty much all his money. Why would they retain on the cap as well? Also worth noting MLSEs pockets aren’t as deep as they once were

• Haha

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Post July 1st they would have already paid him pretty much all his money. Why would they retain on the cap as well? Also worth noting MLSEs pockets aren’t as deep as they once were

Because he's got an 11M cap hit regardless of his actual salary owing.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
As nice as it would be, I have a hard time believing he would waive. He’s from here and has kids here. Would be hard to uproot that. Marner on the other hand…

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Who plays 2c IF the Leafs move him? They aren't giving him away with retention like some of these ridiculous posters suggest. It's more likely they keep him for one more year, (which isn't hurting them whatsoever) and then resign him at a discount (4-6mil). He loves toronto, and regardless of what most of you think, he's a very good player.

It's almost funny how being a member of the Leafs brings down you trade value.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Ledge And Dairy

Why would Winnipeg do that over resigning Monahan?

I can see him ending up on Vegas with retention and Shea Theodore coming back.
Did you confuse Marner with Tavares?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
He’d fill a hole for STL. I just don’t know how to go about finding a right trade for him. Wouldn’t really move too much for him, but cap shouldn’t be too much of an issue for us this offseason unless our ownership doesn’t want to spend to the cap.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I could see Columbus being interested in JT as a stopgap/short term option to supplement Fantilli’s development. Maybe something around Provorov+Elvis as a base to even the salaries out.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

Ledge And Dairy

The guy is still a 30 goal/70-80 point player and with only one year left, if Toronto retains 50% i wouldn't be surprised.
That's highly debatable. He benefits a lot from Toronto's power play. I would take Theodore 11 out of 10 times vs Tavares at 50%. Marner on the other hand, 50/50.

Not to mention Vegas already has 2 better centers than Tavares

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
That's highly debatable. He benefits a lot from Toronto's power play. I would take Theodore 11 out of 10 times vs Tavares at 50%. Marner on the other hand, 50/50.

Not to mention Vegas already has 2 better centers than Tavares
He had 20 of his points on PP. Shea is sort of an enigma at this stage and he's gonna want a boatload of money following this next season.

Hertl isn't really a C anymore and I doubt Stephenson comes back. I like Karlsson but he seems like an idea fit for 3C at this point.

I'm not saying it's logical, I'm just saying JT seems like the type of guy Vegas would bring in and it wouldn't cost much of anything from their already depleted prospect/pick pool.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He had 20 of his points on PP. Shea is sort of an enigma at this stage and he's gonna want a boatload of money following this next season.

Hertl isn't really a C anymore and I doubt Stephenson comes back. I like Karlsson but he seems like an idea fit for 3C at this point.

I'm not saying it's logical, I'm just saying JT seems like the type of guy Vegas would bring in and it wouldn't cost much of anything from their already depleted prospect/pick pool.

What do you mean by Theodore is an enigma at this point. What is your view of his game?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
What do you mean by Theodore is an enigma at this point. What is your view of his game?
Good offensive player, a ton of defensive brain farts and has missed a lot of games recently. He was an absolute no show in the playoffs. He's probably gonna want 8-9 a year on his (probably) last contract after being underpaid for his career and with Hanifin signed now longterm and Petro with a NMC and 8.8 per, it's a hard thing to justify.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Good offensive player, a ton of defensive brain farts and has missed a lot of games recently. He was an absolute no show in the playoffs. He's probably gonna want 8-9 a year on his (probably) last contract after being underpaid for his career and with Hanifin signed now longterm and Petro with a NMC and 8.8 per, it's a hard thing to justify.

Interesting. So not really a top pair anymore? More of an offensive D with defensive liabilities?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Interesting. So not really a top pair anymore? More of an offensive D with defensive liabilities?
I think he's a fringe top pair. Again, offensively he's fantastic still, but I don't know if he's worth the money he's going to want considering he's almost 30.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
SJ, Utah, Chicago, Anaheim are teams I can see doing this.

They could easily eat another 50% of his salary and flip him for a 1st + at the deadline.

Posters on Hfboards don't have any interest in helping the Leafs though, for whatever reason
Except, of course, he still has that NMC. He might not decide to put his family through two trades in one season.

Flipping him is not even close to guaranteed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad