Confirmed with Link: Joel Quenneville has resigned, asst. coach Andrew Brunette named interim head coach (READ POST #2!)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
We've discussed the ramifications of the allegations against the Blackhaws executives, which includes our now resigned head coach Joel Quenneville, for many days and at length now. Let me be clear, we're not dismissing nor trying to downplay what happened, but I'm not sure there's much left to discuss on it from our part. The discussion has gone in circles for a few hundred posts now.

So in everyone's best interest, let's try to move forward from this and steer the conversation back to our hockey team. The main board will still have its thread on the allegations, so if you wish to continue the discussion on it, that's the place to be.

Please use this thread for discussion on the resignation and the potential new coach.

RealHumanBean

Mar 23, 2018
I'm not sure how I feel about Torts as a possible replacement. I have to admit though that his post game interviews are entertaining to watch.

Reactions: Vilam

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Bringing in Torts is very risky.

Players are having fun, like Duclair said it’s locker room full of brothers.
Do you want to bring in Torts and risk it?

But as said before this is a hard working group which Torts loves

Last edited:
Reactions: Nate070

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
Torts will suck out all the fun the players had and control them by fear.
The team is good enough to play well without him, Julien or Boudreau would be much better choices imo.

Just please, don't hire Torts, you're gonna regret it big time.
I usually don't have the urge to come here and be so opposed to something like this, but this is serious.
Just don't do it, do not do it.

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
There was some interview where Bobrovski said he left CBJ because of Torts so don't think that's an option.
Bobrovsky on leaving Blue Jackets for Panthers: 'I needed changes' | ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports
“Torts has his pluses and minuses,” Bobrovsky said. “He is what he is. Impulsive. Says what he thinks. Does what he thinks is right. There were days when he was complimentary during the regular season, but there were also days when he might criticize during a press conference or in the locker room. I [didn’t always agree] with his opinion and because of that we had multiple [heated] conversations.
“But he has many pluses too. The team started to play better after his arrival. He installed discipline. He demanded the maximum from each player. We started to make the playoffs regularly. He’s also a skilled psychologist and a very strong motivator.”

Reactions: cotopaxi

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I would like to discuss this on a complete different Way.
How frustrating this is for the Players who are with the Panthers for much longer Time.
Every Year something great happens with this Team, someone has to go. Coach GM what every and most time afterwards, they doesnt play like they could play.

We had an Insane start and have another possible PO Time, when we would continue play like this for the rest of the Season.
For me as a Player would this now starting to frustration, that there is always a Stone in my Legs.

Reactions: GrumpyKelly

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I think the coach I would want the most as of now is Boudreau.

I think Torts may have early success but will grow stale fast. He's like a Bill Parcells type coach. Good coach, but maybe not set for this timeline anymore.

NGL, bummed about losing Q. But, the team decided to move on and that's that.

Reactions: Vilam

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
There’s no proof that this is true. Torts would be way way way way better than someone like Boudreau who’s a completely incompetent wuss in playoffs.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Bringing in a high profile and experienced coach like Torts/Boudreau/Julien is what this team needs, but what then? Are they going to start installing their own systems etc? Makes no sense, it took a year for Q to do that. I would think it has to be a guy who is similar minded to Q tactically. It's going to be a downgrade either way but I don't want to see a guy who will start changing the x's and o's and the line combos the second things go south.

One thing is for sure, you can bet every coach in the country is licking their chops to coach the Panthers. The table is set here.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The team is good enough to play well without him, Julien or Boudreau would be much better choices imo.

Just please, don't hire Torts, you're gonna regret it big time.
I usually don't have the urge to come here and be so opposed to something like this, but this is serious.
Just don't do it, do not do it.

Boudreau is the only logical choice.

Reactions: FlaPanthers11

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Imo, it should remain Brunette until at least the end of the season unless the team looks like absolute horse crap under him.

Team is playing well and the last thing we need is a new head coach to come in and try to implement his systems and various other things. I’d rather let Brunette run it which I’m guessing would be similar to or exactly what Q would do.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Imo, it should remain Brunette until at least the end of the season unless the team looks like absolute horse crap under him.

Team is playing well and the last thing we need is a new head coach to come in and try to implement his systems and various other things. I’d rather let Brunette run it which I’m guessing would be similar to or exactly what Q would do.

Zito has to first use the option of letting Brunette run the team. Brunette has a very easy job at hand, at least until the playoffs begin, because he only has to continue to use the format that Q used and they'll be successful.
Boudreau and the other veteran coaches are very poor options. I wouldn't be surprised if the next long-term coach is someone unfamiliar at the NHL level.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad